Honeymoon Trip

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, got my honeymoon to Hong Kong, Seoul South Korea and Japan coming up in may.

I'm keen to take my 5d mk1 with me, but I've not got a great selection of lenses. I'm thinking would it be enough to take a nifty 50 and a 28mm f2.8 prime, travel tripod and filters.

Reason I ask is i can't justify getting an expensive walkabout lens, but could get the nifty 50 to accompany my 28mm.

All thoughts welcome, any recommendations where to go also welcome. Japan we visit hiroshima, kyoto, osaka, Hakone and Tokyo.

I've taken my cmos Sony on other holidays and I'm just not overly happy with the results so want to try the Canon.

Thanks,.
Scott

Just back from Japan and South Korea last night. Japan is an amazing country.

Don't forget to visit Nara (from Osaka/Kyoto) and Miyajima (from Hiroshima). If time permits, do a day trip to Nikko from Tokyo. One of the most colourful temples in Japan was in Nikko.

My 17-55mm lens developed a problem halfway through and was stuck at 17mm, so I had to make do with just the wide angle end for the second half of the trip. But then, I'd much rather it was stuck at 17 than at 55.

To help you feel that those two lenses are fine for what you are doing, I had a holiday of a lifetime to South Africa some decades ago and my OM system was stolen a week before. So I did three weeks in SA with an Olympus XA. Got some great photos!

Honeymoon trip, forget the Camera and just keep your new Wife Happy!!!:wave:

Yup. I'd take a camera and sneak a picture or three but I'd wouldn't lose sight of why I was there and who I was with.

Other than that...

My favourite lens on my 5D was for some time a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and that's what I took on holiday a few times and I never regretted having just that one lens.

So, in your place Scott I'd take the 5D and just one lens and either 28 or 50 would be fine by me and I wouldn't even think about taking filters or a tripod as the reason you're going is it's a honeymoon.

Whatever you decide, best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful honeymoon and future life together :D

Thanks everyone, maybe I've described it badly but it's not a photography holiday, I just want to get the best photos I can get from the places we go see.

I think I'll take both primes if I have space and leave the tripod.

If you're taking a 5D maybe think about taking a rocket blower and some means of cleaning the sensor if the rocket isn't enough as I remember the 5D is a dust bunny magnet.

Have a great time.

I'm thinking would it be enough to take a nifty 50 and a 28mm f2.8 prime

For the time of year you're going it's going to be pretty humid, I'd say try to travel as light as possible so I think your two choices would be ideal. Having been to HK a lot, the last thing you want to be doing is changing lenses constantly, especially in busy streets; let's just say the street etiquette isn't what you would find here!

I would probably do the same and leave the tripod, it may be worth investing in a Manfrotto Pixi or similar as that doesn't add much weight nor bulk to your bag - always my choice for city breaks.

Back