Hornet in the house

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Just now had a hornet in the kitchen.

When settled it seemed to have a mostly black & yellow abdomen.......UK not Asian ?

Finally managed to eject it out of the kitchen door with encouragement by a thwack with folded tinfoil.

At one point it climbed inside the ceiling light diffuser......when wasps have done that it Asta la vista but the Hornet eventually forced its way out to buzz around the kitchen again!

Thank you, I think that was one site I checked and the one we had in the kitchen was approx 1inch long and the abdomen had clear yellow & black banding plus a clear narrowing between thorax & abdomen....... discernibly a UK hornet as far as I could tell.

Reactions: Nod
Sorry to have been so brief - postie arrived so I hit "Post reply" before adding "This link might help identify which it was."

Asian hornets are not as big as European hornets. The Asian hornet, although it has stripes, it tends to look more black than yellow. The best description of an Asian hornet was from a beekeeper, I think in Jersey, who said 'the most obvious thing about an Asian hornet is they look as if hey are up to no good.'

This is one of the best sites for identification of Asian, European and other similar flying things that could be mistaken.

Hornets

Back