Horseball Tournament

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Great series of pics; the tech stuff and composition looks spot on. I'm not overly keen on the borders, but that's a personal thing! :)

The Afghan version is a touch less fluffy than this one! :LOL:

Thanks for the comments.

This was hardly fluffy though, lots of clattering into the boards, lost count of the amount of times I jumped back thinking they were going to come through and squash me

Great series of pics; the tech stuff and composition looks spot on. I'm not overly keen on the borders, but that's a personal thing! :)

The Afghan version is a touch less fluffy than this one! :LOL:

Isn't that the one that they originally played with a severed head ??

Nice! Well then yesn this is a little fluffier then ;)

A goat's carcass is the slightly more civilised modern equivalent!

I wasn't implying that this version was soft in the slightest though! :)

Think I'll stick to the one with no dead animals!

hmmm. not heard of horseball before.....

looks, erm, different!

I'd not before I saw the advert. It certainly is different! It was invented in the 1930's by two French brothers (we've already done all the French jokes with my Mum and family).

It's like a cross between netball and polo. There's not many teams in the UK but if you can find an event near you, it's definitely worth going along to watch. Google British Horseball Association.

Polocrosse is next on my list!

I'd not before I saw the advert. It certainly is different! It was invented in the 1930's by two French brothers (we've already done all the French jokes with my Mum and family).

It's like a cross between netball and polo. There's not many teams in the UK but if you can find an event near you, it's definitely worth going along to watch. Google British Horseball Association.

Polocrosse is next on my list!

ah by the way , forgot to comment on the pics - like them, crisp , clean, sharp and vibrant.... can't comment any more than that given my opinion of horses is not that high! (Other than heavy workhorses!)

Thanks Natalie, I was worried that they looked a tad soft but maybe that's just me! I also wasn't sure whether to include #5 as I'd cropped the legs off.

Fiona - haven't seen polo yet (only Bike Polo) but I've heard that it can be quite rough.

Cheers Lynton, I keep trying to find something round here with dray horses

Those are some great shots Kelly Horseball and Polocrosse shots are probably harder to take than polo as you will have found out they dont go in straight lines for long.

Polocrosse is more like lacroix on horseback bigger pitch usualy on a field or polo pitch and there you do have the posibility of them coming over the line.
My son did both when they were first introduced into this country great fun they were too and very competitive.

OK - I have absolutely no idea what's going on in those, but it looks pretty terrifying. Are there actually any rules other than just grab the ball any way that you can? :LOL:
While it looks good fun to watch I can't say I'd be that fussed on actually participating!

While sports photography absolutely isn't my thing in any way, shape or form I'm always impressed by how well you manage to catch the action. Lovely sharp photos and considering that they were fast moving targets you've managed to compose and frame them absolutely brilliantly (y)

Those are some great shots Kelly Horseball and Polocrosse shots are probably harder to take than polo as you will have found out they dont go in straight lines for long.

Polocrosse is more like lacroix on horseback bigger pitch usualy on a field or polo pitch and there you do have the posibility of them coming over the line.
My son did both when they were first introduced into this country great fun they were too and very competitive.

Thanks Les, and no they don't. They turn very quickly too! I'm envious of your son now, the skills the riders had were unreal!

OK - I have absolutely no idea what's going on in those, but it looks pretty terrifying. Are there actually any rules other than just grab the ball any way that you can? :LOL:
While it looks good fun to watch I can't say I'd be that fussed on actually participating!

While sports photography absolutely isn't my thing in any way, shape or form I'm always impressed by how well you manage to catch the action. Lovely sharp photos and considering that they were fast moving targets you've managed to compose and frame them absolutely brilliantly (y)

I have no idea :LOL: there was a lot of leaning over and snatching the ball from players' hands. I keep meaning to google the rules so that if I go to another one I will have more of an idea

Now that looks fun! great set, nice and sharp, could only be improved by shallower DOF IMHO.
So is there any steering going on?

I did ask about the steering as the reins just seemed to be for show most of the time and I think they steer with their knees and heels. I did have it on f2.8 for some but it seemed too shallow for when I had 2 or 3 players in the shot so change to f5.0.

Thanks all for the comments :)

You can download the rules from here http://www.fihb-horseball.org

Im sure if you ask on facebook for any local teams in your area some-one is sure to be in the know to advise you when any more competitions are on. Or better still go to a club practise and you will get a much better insight.

Im playing with Shire horses this weekend Lol they are a bit steadier.

Last edited:
Cheers for the link, I'll have a look at that one. Looked at the British Horseball Association and the closest teams to me are the one I went to last week (which is an hour's drive) and one in North London so might just leave it til there's a tournament again.

Although as I googled for BHA, the auto fill came up with British Horseback Archery :eek: this could get addictive finding different sports :LOL:

Shire horses sounds fun. Look forward to seeing some pics

Love them!! technically very good, but even better, they are huge fun! :clap:

Where in north london did that site mention? :naughty:

Thanks Yv

The North London club is in St Albans :)

#6 for me, but frankly all good :)

Looks like a very exciting sport

Thanks for your comments, I tried hard to get a shot of them picking the ball up from the ground while the horse was moving, this is the best one I got

It was great to watch

Thanks Erin :)

Nice pics. Very sharp and I love the colours.

What lens did you use?

Cheers.

I used my Canon 70-200mm. It proved how much I need a second body though to put my shorter lens on as I missed a lot of the action that was close to me and a lot of head on goal shots

Beautiful pictures Kelack!

I can imagine a great picture like the last one but instead of one, two players competing for the ball.

Wow, Kelly. Great set of pictures. Never heard of this, but then I'd never heard of cycle polo either until this year! What will the French think of next?

Wow, Kelly. Great set of pictures. Never heard of this, but then I'd never heard of cycle polo either until this year! What will the French think of next?

Actually it's based in an identical Argentinian game called Pato...where Pato means Duck... and the gauchos used to put this duck inside a basketcase...then they thr...you know the rest :LOL:

Actually it's based in an identical Argentinian game called Pato...where Pato means Duck... and the gauchos used to put this duck inside a basketcase...then they thr...you know the rest :LOL:

That's qwackers! :LOL:

Looks like an interesting afternoon, fast moving to keep you on your toes. Nice captures.

Beautiful pictures Kelack!

I can imagine a great picture like the last one but instead of one, two players competing for the ball.

Thank you Ignatius for your response, I have quite a few others so might have one like that - I'll have a look when I get home and post for you

Thanks Carol, I like my obscure sports I do!!! :LOL:

Cheeky Frenchmen then - I thought they'd invented it! And not just me either, that's what the Horseball site says:

From the BHA Site
At the end of the 1970's two brothers from
Bordeaux were asked by the French authorites to design a new sport that the whole of France could play. Now, over 30 years later, Horseball is played in over 14 countries across three continents.
The British Horseball Association is part of the British Equestrian Federation and is the governing body for Horseball in the UK.

Looks like an interesting afternoon, fast moving to keep you on your toes. Nice captures.

Thanks for your comments, it was an interesting afternoon - I like going and photographing different sports and yes, definitly kept me on my toes

Cheeky Frenchmen then - I thought they'd invented it! And not just me either, that's what the Horseball site says:

Well they've got a lot of past form for doing that sort of thing vis Pierre Frédy aka Baron de Coubertin! :LOL:

PM in your direction btw!

Back