Hot Spots

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about from the thread title, the burn out which affects noses, cheek bone area, foreheads and basically any high point where light brightens the protruding contours.

The reason for me posting this thread is multifaceted. Firstly, do we love this over exposure or do we try to keep it in check?

Personally I don't like heaps of it as when it gets anywhere near whiteout, as far as I'm concerned there is none, or very little information contained in that portion of the image, hence, one might just as well take an eraser to those areas or air brush in some garish shade of pale.

Now I'm doubting my sanity a little here because I've commented in respect of it and had others commenting on the same thread contradicting my observation. I don't personally read what others suggest until I've placed my own thoughts, then I know my comment reflects my actual thoughts and not simply a case of me embellishing/questioning someone else's observation because I have sod all else of merit to add to the mix.

I appreciate there are creative applications where its controlled use is desired.

So, in summary, do we love hot spots or is it a reality that in many cases it's just sloppy photography?

I think we can all agree that a hotspot is a distraction, following the rule that bright spots grab attention.

The personal taste thing comes with 'how much is too much?'

Back