Houston...I have a problem!

S

stepheno

During the last couple of days I have a problem connecting to ThePhotographyForums. I use Firefox 1.5 and if I click on the icon on the toolbar I get this message -

404.jpg

If I then click on the TPF icon again I am immediately connected to the forums. I have the same problem on my work and home 'puters - I have emptied the cache, TIFs etc, ran anti-virus, Hijackthis, CWShredder and Spybot and I am now well stuck. It's the same with IE6. However, this only happens if I have ticked the "Remember Me" box at login. If I am going in with a fresh login then it works first time. It is not the end of the world but it aint half niggling. Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

regards

ps it only happens with this site.

hmmmmmmm

I had the same thing a few days ago. It seemed as though there was a re-direct on the homepage to /profile.php but it all sorted itself out so I assumed it was a cached page issue.

mfwild13 said:
It seemed as though there was a re-direct on the homepage to /profile.php
That is exactly what I get, got rather, 'cos it doesn't do it now. I reckon Matty's not telling all :suspect1:

Thanks mfwild for at least confirming it's not my end :thumb:

regards

Yeah i can't login using the login box on the main page, but if i go to post a reply it says to login and that works ok.

mine has been fine IE at home and AOL at work. Have had similar problems on one of the car forums i am on.

Same problem with firefox on the Mac. Same bookmark for home page - even re-bookmarked it. Get the redirect and have to go back one page to arrive. Is it a way to keep me under control?

Same problem here with firefox...only happened after logging in on another m/c....then appeared again when back on old m/c

Exactly the same for me too :banghead: . Always loads 2nd time. Using Firefox and Norton Int Security.
Rich

Matty is conspicuous by his absence. Must be keeping his head down :D

regards

I have not posted as I really don't know what to say and with Matty jumping in first...

Anyway I have done some poking around and there is nothing at our end that indicates there is anything I can do to solve the problem, I have a hunch the issue is VB and cookie related but I can’t confirm that for now. I have spent a few hours this afternoon on the Vbulletin site looking for answers or even clues to what I can change to help. Unfortunately it has so far turned up a blank and changing things just to try could lead to more issues :(

I will continue to look though and in the mean time I can only apologise and ask you to stick with us.

Cheers
Steve

No apologies necessary Steve....but thanks for the update :thumb:

regards

Can someone please clarify exactly what is /is not happening so I can try to narrow my search.

I am right is saying that if you go to http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/ when you are not logged in, then put your user name and password in the login box (top right) it then throws the error and tries to redirect you to /profile.php?

Also when it does this have you got “remember me” ticked so that the forums automatically fill in your name and password or not, and have you tried it both ways?

Mine seems to be sorted now. What happened was that I was directed to profile.php and got an Error 404 page. This only happened if I was logged in under Remember Me. A second click on my TPF icon would then take me to the home page. I hope the explanation is OK.

regards

This is the beauty of Opera - no need to tick the "remember me" box as the magix wand feature does it all for you! (Only problem is, if you're on a computer elsewhere using ie, you can't log in anywhere as you can't remember any of your passwords!)

Cheers stepheno, I am glad the problem is ok for you now. Maybe someone else who is having the same problem can test it and let me know please?

still happening for me, i have the homepage in favourites and it auto directs to /profiles

wez130 said:
still happening for me, i have the homepage in favourites and it auto directs to /profiles

Forums homepage or the main site, are you set for auto login or not? do you have remember me ticked? Is it redirecting you when you try to login or when you go to the home page?

Using IE6 here and experienced no problems at all.

Logged in everyday and not a problem.:)

EDIT

Just noticed 500 posts.. I must try harder..:D

I have http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/?page=home set as a book mark and it welcomes me as fangman although if I want to go into galleries I have to log in again. This last time I got instantly re-directed to profiles and Not found message and the usual back one page did not work so I deleted in the top bar as far as the thephotographyforums.com re-tried and arrived at the home page in the usual way.

Good luck and don't stay up too late!

Everyone who is having "404 page missing" issues with /profile.php - what bookmarked URL are you trying to access when that error appears.

I have just checked and found that http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/profile.php doesn't exist so if your bookmarks are pointing to that then you won't get anywhere.

If that's not the case please can you post exactly what you are doing to get the above message....ie:

Access http://www.talkphotography.co.uk and click xxx button/link.

----

Steve - was there a file profile.php in the site's root that has been removed/deleted?

----

ppp said:
Yeah i can't login using the login box on the main page, but if i go to post a reply it says to login and that works ok.

Yeah I have the same problem from the front page - reported a while ago here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3803

I have the .com as my bookmark and generally have no problems.

A couple of days ago I did notice something about /profile.php and a problem flashing up before the page loaded properly. Happened a few times but was so quick I could not read it all. Not happening now.

In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist

This is the error i see on a blank white page when trying to login from my favourite which takes me to www.talkphotography.co.uk

I get the same thing at home and work on different computers and internet providers, however if i try to reply to a post i am asked to login to do so and that works fine.

evilowl said:
----

Steve - was there a file profile.php in the site's root that has been removed/deleted?

No there was never a profile.php page as such, but there is a profile.php that is called as part of another page which also includes a different variable for every user (to recognise each of us and welcome up/log us in etc). That is required and called if the forums detect a photography forum cookie and it reads some of the details in it to distinguish who you are to allow you to login straight away if you have remember me ticked.

Further investigation has basically pointed towards that cookie being the most likely culprit. In many reported incidents, every time without fail removing the cookies properly (for some this has taken several attempts) and then allowing the forums to assign you a new one has solved all problems.

The basic procedure is to logout completely, ensuring that you are not remembered by the forums. Clear all cookies, cash and browser histories (better do if for all browsers if you use more than one. Then come back, login and tick remember me (if you want to) and that should then work properly again. Another possible cause is if you use more than one pc to browse the forums (work and home for example) and one of them ends up with a corrupt cookie, due to the way the forum records your visits and stores that info in the database and cookies it can affect the other pc as well. So you fix one and the other then corrupts, you fix that and it corrupts the first again...its a viscous circle that can only be broken by fixing both.

Hope that helps the few that are still having problems. If not report back and I will carry on searching for other solutions :)

ppp said:
oddly www.talkphotography.co.uk seems to work fine without the error above from the same machines

That is the main domain that everything is set up to run on (the .com) , all the others are just parked and re-directs. Incidentally we have never published any of the other domains that we own, this was to try to keep any potential problems minimised.

Also the Galleries while connected directly to this site and owned by us are on a completely different domain and hosts. Your login for the forums and the galleries can be different or can be the same (depending on what you requested /where given when you applied for one) but they do not connect to each other in any way and the databases are completely separate.

So if you have a forums or main site issue it is in no way related to the gallery and vice versa :)

Steve said:
Forums homepage or the main site, are you set for auto login or not? do you have remember me ticked? Is it redirecting you when you try to login or when you go to the home page?

i have homepage in favourites, have remember me ticked and i never have to sign in, however, i just take out the /profiles and replace with forums and it works

right well after my initial hmmmmmmm i clean forget to follow up. Sorry...

But...

i have this problem, or rather had, at avf, and that also runs VB..i cleared my cache there and it sorted it, luckily for us, Steve is here, or you would have been talking to yourselves for days....

i must get a secretary to remind to check on these threads...

Since you guys have looked into it, amazingly enough it now all works OK & I have done nothing :confused- :suspect1: Come on...admit it....you've changed something ;)

I'm saying nothing on the grounds that it could incriminate ;)

well i definately didnt do anything, so it must have been Steve...

No, honestly the problem lies in the cookies. As they get cleared/updated/replaced the issue is automatically resolved. By manually forcing a refresh of the cookies you can speed up removing the issue or as most are finding out, your browser/software will sort it with time according to your cache settings. ;)

marvelous....

Back