Hoverfly on knapweed

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Saw this little fella over the fields. I think he is a hoverfly. He was on some Common Knapweed.

F13
1/250
ISO 400
Aperture priority

F13
1/160
ISO 400
Aperture priority

Comments, critique and help always gratefully received.
Thanks
Sue

Last edited:
very contrasty and oversharp on my screen

you clipped the wing on the first one which is the better shot...very saturated as well

:LOL: You seem to be running in parallel with me these last couple of weeks, Sue. Bees on lavender last weekend and today I have an attempt at a hoverfly perched on a flower here too.

Out of these two the first is definitely the better shot for me.
The fly is a little bit close to the edge of the frame, but they don't like to stay still for long do they?
Would be good if you could have got the focus more firmly on the eyes too - but knowing how fast they move I think you've done well to capture one at all.

Not sure what happened with the second one.
There's a good level of detail, but it either looks very noisy or oversharpened. Was this a heavy drop from the original?

very contrasty and oversharp on my screen

you clipped the wing on the first one which is the better shot...very saturated as well

I have taken onboard your comments. I have just learned how to do unsharp mask so probably went over the top with it a bit. I was trying to get more detail in the wings on the second shot so probably overdid the contrast and sharpening.

:LOL: You seem to be running in parallel with me these last couple of weeks, Sue. Bees on lavender last weekend and today I have an attempt at a hoverfly perched on a flower here too.

Out of these two the first is definitely the better shot for me.
The fly is a little bit close to the edge of the frame, but they don't like to stay still for long do they?
Would be good if you could have got the focus more firmly on the eyes too - but knowing how fast they move I think you've done well to capture one at all.

Not sure what happened with the second one.
There's a good level of detail, but it either looks very noisy or oversharpened. Was this a heavy drop from the original?

I think I have just oversharpened it. It wasnt a heavy crop, only about half the original picture.Thanks. I have redone number 1
Sue

lady sue you have done wonders with that shot...the wing the colour and the sharpness
a credit to you

cheers
geof

Back