Hoverfly ? & Weevil ?

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

1st attempt with the D7000 & tamron 90mm today in glorious sun . Both are big crops & I'm very pleased with the results , hand held with on board flash

#1...think this is a Hoverfly....

Hoverfly by llj666, on Flickr

#2...not sure but think this may be a Weevil ? very pretty little thing..that didn't want to stay still !

Bug by llj666, on Flickr

C&C welcome as really want to improve my macro this year

Cheers & thanks for looking (y)

Thanks for commenting Kev (y)

1st time anyones asked how I did something :eek:

Luckily this little fella was having a good feed so stayed still , sun was bright so good light , f11, 1/320 , ISO200 , flash not used on this apparently, then just a heavy crop .Now what I really want is one of those MPE len's....but need to move to canon so not much chance of that happening:(

T......Now what I really want is one of those MPE len's....but need to move to canon so not much chance of that happening:(

"We" have all the best lenses ;)
Come in to the light :D

Cracking hoverfly Lynne (y)

Like the Weevil, shows how tiny it is!
If you stick a set of extension tubes behind your 90mm you should get approx 2x lifesize. Also a great introduction into the world of larger than lifesize macro and should cost less than £100;)

Thanks Chris....dammed inconsiderate of nikon not to have a similar type of lens:bang:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

If you stick a set of extension tubes behind your 90mm you should get approx 2x lifesize. Also a great introduction into the world of larger than lifesize macro and should cost less than £100;)

That's a good point and a good alternative too (y)
As they don't have glass in them the quality (make) as such, doesn't really matter.
(Kenko aren't bad though). Bugger! just did a quick search and
they are far more expensive now then when I bought mine. :(

You will find those that auto focus, will be quite a bit more than those that
don't. So choose carefully to suit your needs (y)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's a good point and a good alternative too (y)
As they don't have glass in them the quality (make) as such, doesn't really matter.
(Kenko aren't bad though). Bugger! just did a quick search and
they are far more expensive now then when I bought mine. :(

You will find those that auto focus, will be quite a bit more than those that
don't. So choose carefully to suit your needs (y)

Cheers for the info , just posted in the talk equipment section for some advice , also heard that a 1.4xtc could be used....this photography lark really can be a quick route to poverty :LOL:

Cheers for the info , just posted in the talk equipment section for some advice , also heard that a 1.4xtc could be used....this photography lark really can be a quick route to poverty :LOL:

No Problem Lynne, and yes
it certainly can, but depending on the "quality" of the lens you are using,
( I have no experience with the Tamron, so can't comment)
it might deteriorate the image too.
but unlike the tubes, I wouldn't go for a cheap TC, they have glass in them
(as you know) and may degrade the image further.
Again choose wisely :)

A friend lent me his cheap Chinese automatic extension tubes yesterday, and just had a quick play with my Tamron 90mm Macro with the full set (65mm) added.

This has only been cropped a little to make up for my bad composition :)

and here's a crop at 100%

I think he said he paid about £35 for these extension tubes, they are VERY plasticy, but fit the camera and lens well. You might want to look at the set made by Polaroid, they look much better build quality for about £60.

Back