How bad is this sensor?

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Wishing I had nt bought this camera....but there you go...
details here...
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=159320

I've just checked the sensor and wonder how bad this is...

taken at F22 focus on infinity looking at my white office wall....

IMG_0007b.jpg

Nothing there that looks unduly worrying. Do you have a gentle air blower? looks like most of that might shift with a teeny puff.

Aside the hair, that looks pretty good actually! The hair should be fairly easy to remove if you are very careful! :)

eh? I wouldn't like my sensors to look like that!

Agree with the others the sensor, although being a pain and probably more expense to get clean, isn't too bad.

Just read the sale thread, i can understand why you are so hacked off, its frustrating when you read about deals like this one, kinda ruins it for others by placing doubts on buying from others on here. Thankfully there are some very, very good people on here, that i am sure far out number the not quite so good ones!

Did you ever get the missing parts???

OOhhh. It needs a clean. I dread to think what it would look like with 100mm macro at minimal focusing distance!

Use the blower first to remove excess dust and hair, then get LensPen Sensorklerar or swabs to finish off the rest. 40D is at least easy to clean. 30D had a very bad sensor coating and attracted dust like a magnet (an issue with 1:1 macro).

I hope you get the remaining bits. His flash is even more worrying story! I nearly bought it from him...

Thanks guys.

Just ordered this

..as for the bits...he has nt replied to two txt's or an email.

I have reported his "for sale" thread and will give him a ring in a day or two to vent my frustration. Has made me wary of buying off this forum for a while though...

Hope the other guy gets the flash (complete)!

My sensor looks like a small puppy took a dump on it. Absolutely filthy. Nothing to worry about, I will clean it soon :)

Gary.

I think that the sensors aren't too difficult to clean on a 40D, although it really shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Did you ever get the batteries? Small comfort, but at least you eventually got the camera, albeit with twice as many actuations as advertised (still a pretty good price though probably). Poor old AndrewC is still waiting for the flash. It makes you wonder doesn't it.

Edit - just seen your reply in post above about other stuff.

sensors get dirty it is the problem we have as digi togs, I think your sensor needs a blow out and a swab, I have seen a lot worse though. Try not to let it get you down, you have a great camera there and after a clean it will be like new. My old 5D had over 20 dead pixels on it... THAT is a big bad problem I hope you never get, As I am CPS member it was sorted quick and cheap.. I think even if you take this to Canon to clean it would only run at £30 tops. Enjoy your new camera rather than trying to find reasons to hate it...

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I am a direct kinda guy..

Open that image in the photoshop and perform the auto-levels command. It'll look so much better. :D

Seriously, adjusting the levels in that kind of picture, can be useful to identify where the most part of dust is placed.

I wouldn't worry too much, get a RocketBlower and it'll clean up.

And don't shoot white walls at f/22 - avoid f/22 anyhow, RocketBlower it and shoot f/8 to f/11 to avoid diffraction.

I'm a firm believer in not going looking for problems if you won't see them in the real world :)

ah yeah, just read it, did you ever got the missing items?

Doesnt seem like the most trustworthy of people. :thumbsdown:

He's not.

From experience, I'd ask for a full refund and if one isn't forthcoming then use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk to get the value of the outstanding items back. PT if you need any more info. (y)

still more of a mess than I'd like to think mine are - STOP SHOOTING AT f/22!! :)

I was offered a D80 a while back that the guy said had just been professionally cleaned by one of the big companies - it was 20 times worse than that and so was my newly Nikon-refurbished D50 when it arrived...

There is nothing wrong with your sensor....

... now MY sensor 2 years ago was a different story!! :D

lastsensor.jpg

When I buy a second hand camera I always assume the sensor will need cleaning and it will need a new battery, I price it accordingly then I am not disappointed.

Back