How buying a 1D Mark IV could save me £1800 (or the 1DIV purchase thread)

On the Creative Video site, they've just changed it to in stock on the 29th of January now....

That's pretty bad... hmm

This is why I'm going to wait until there's a solid supply coming into the UK and leap on it then. As long as that's before the 6 Nations game on the 20th Feb then I should be OK.

Well, I'm going to Vietnam at the end of this month and would of loved to have it before then!! Bah

I think you're all very brave pre-ordering this camera, but I suppose someone has to. I don't have an axe to grind, so am not hoping it is flawed, but it must be on your minds? Of course, they *have* to get this one right from the get go, so I'm sure it will perform fine, but there was the same requirement with the 5D2 and that needed a swift firmware upgrade just after release. I do hope it surpasses expectations, as I'm interested in one! Look forward to some reports.

Brave or stupid..... time will tell! I'll let you know! :)
Rumour has it that a batch was delivered to the distributor in the Uk and then returned for more 'quality' checks.
I read that as 'it has to be right' but could equally be read as 'wing and a prayer' !?
I'm stupidly brand loyal at the moment, I hope this is not a turning point! :)

I think you're all very brave pre-ordering this camera, but I suppose someone has to. I don't have an axe to grind, so am not hoping it is flawed, but it must be on your minds? Of course, they *have* to get this one right from the get go, so I'm sure it will perform fine, but there was the same requirement with the 5D2 and that needed a swift firmware upgrade just after release. I do hope it surpasses expectations, as I'm interested in one! Look forward to some reports.

We're doing it for you so you dont have to :D.

Just been offered one from the US (which I'm not taking up) for USD 4999.95......ie approx £3200 (plus of course either sales tax or shipping out of state in the US).

Based on the 7D initial pricing here (£1700 and now £1250 approx) I suspect this will be more like UK 1D 4 pricing when things settle down. US price for 7D was $1700 on launch and still is, ie just under £1100, so if the same logic holds, the 1D4 will end up at about £3500, still mucha wonga but a bit better than current price.

George

D4 will end up at about £3500, still mucha wonga but a bit better than current price.

Pre ordered mine at £3,799 UK canon dealer so it depends how long you want to wait but would envisage a lot less than 3.5k if your prepared to wait.

Pre ordered mine at £3,799 UK canon dealer so it depends how long you want to wait but would envisage a lot less than 3.5k if your prepared to wait.

Yes, I agree, It's gonna have to really improve on the 7D af for me to spend the extra, though..

Yes, I agree, It's gonna have to really improve on the 7D af for me to spend the extra, though..

It betetr really improve on the mark III :)

Where from and how much?

Yummmmm....

Just got back. Park Cameras - they had 3. £3573 ex VAT or £4199 to you.

Once I've sorted my custom functions I'm going to try and fine some sport happening tonight somewhere, anywhere, under floodlights or in a gym or ice rink...

Not happy at all :( I thought all canon outlets where getting delivery at same time..Maybe mines tommorow...

Happy for you mate.:)

Just not happy sat here knowing others have em and I havent :(

OK - boring I know but here's a couple of high ISO pics.

Note that because Smugmug doesn't take files above 12Mb, and the 1DIV large jpegs are 12.6MB I've had to export them from Lightroom at 90% and 290dpi. Both these are jpegs direct from the camera in "Standard" mode. High ISO Speed noise reduction on the 1DIV is set to "Standard" - the 1DIII doesn't have this (at least if it does I haven't found it yet!)

1DIII at ISO 6400 (H), f/1.4, 1/500th (click for original)

1DIV at ISO 6400, f/1.4, 1/500th (click for original)

Interesting how the 1DIII image is slightly darker than the 1DIV for the same settings & same lens. There's probably some other custom function in the 1DIV that I haven't twiddled with i.e. the highlights one or suchlike.

Anyway, looks whoppingly good for the 1DIV with much less sprinkly colour blobs and an overall cleaner look.

I'll post some decent shots of something interesting ASAP honest.

looking good tobers, nearly as good as my D3 :D

One thing re the custom functions Andy, have they sorted out the shutter speed limit Cfn to something sensible instead of 1/60th IIRC being the lowest. have they changed the aperture increments for the "set aperture value range" Cfn

just waiting for the pictures to load now..................

I had it pre-ordered at a lot of places, and I just got a call today from Calumet saying that they have one reserved for me if I want to come pick it up.

The only problem is that it's priced at 4499, with the added items - do you think they'd give me a deal without those added bonus items?

One thing re the custom functions Andy, have they sorted out the shutter speed limit Cfn to something sensible instead of 1/60th IIRC being the lowest. have they changed the aperture increments for the "set aperture value range" Cfn

just waiting for the pictures to load now..................

Howdy Andy. Aperture range still goes 2.8 - 4.0. No 3.2 or 3.5 inbetween. Will check the shutter speed limit once I've finished noncing about with some ice hockey pics I just took.

I see creativevideo.co.uk are advertising it for 3800, anyone any experience with them?

Keirik

I bought all my video gear from them. They are first class.

"Real" person answers the phone. On the video side they have proper experts.

Create an account and all your orders are there to see any time day or night.

I spoke yesterday with them and they don't have a confirmed date from Canon but are hoping before the end of Jan. However they do have lots of pre-orders who will be first out of the door.

Give them a ring and see how quickly they answer the phone and have a chat with them.

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but why isn't the IV a full frame camera?

Is it a marketing ploy for when they bring the new 1DS out?

The 1D IV is aimed more at PJs and Sports photographers so it has the 1.3 "crop factor".

A lot of times the photographers using the non Ds bodies don't need to use longer & heavier glass because of the crop factor.

It can mean the difference between lugging a 300 as opposed to a 400 lens (which saves a lot of weight).

It also easier to get the frames per second with the 1D that the 1Ds mechanisms.

Nice one, thanks for that. :)

I actually though the DS was the one with more FPS. Got that wrong a bit. :D

Last edited:
Ah-ha! Thread resurrection time.

With the football season kicking off, and some nice success with the papers from the 3 months of footie I did before summer, I have thrown in the towel and bought a second hand 400 2.8.

Numerous reasons, including being able to reach the far goal easily, and better with a 1.4x, easier to get manager close ups, and better background separation.

It's a big beast though. Very heavy. Looks like I'll be looking for a new rucksack soon.

Edit: FYI cost to change was £1,100.

Last edited:
Ah-ha! Thread resurrection time.

With the football season kicking off, and some nice success with the papers from the 3 months of footie I did before summer, I have thrown in the towel and bought a second hand 400 2.8.

Numerous reasons, including being able to reach the far goal easily, and better with a 1.4x, easier to get manager close ups, and better background separation.

It's a big beast though. Very heavy. Looks like I'll be looking for a new rucksack soon.

Edit: FYI cost to change was £1,100.

:naughty:

I knew you couldnt resist the pull of a 400 for long :D

did you sell the 300 then?

Back