How can i change the colour of bath water?

Well if none of these replies give me an answer then they give me a laugh! Yeah as mentioned i want the models face emerging from the water so lining the bath wont work as the coloured water needs to frame the face if that makes sense.

It might depend on how much room you have to work with but your description reminds me of this shoot on America's Next Top Model
Video of shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PYlTDMqBjI&feature=related
Results: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quocviet0327/3238561732/in/photostream/

I started watching this show as my sons girlfriend watches it. Very interesting as a photographer.

If you look at the shot, they've got a black background in the water, which is making the water appear black in the shots, especially as they are shooting close to the water.
So actually I think the lining the bath idea might work. You just need some of the black pallet wrap clingfilm stuff to line the bath easily, such as:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-BLACK-PALLE...766307&cguid=145e7f9012b0a0a9f4d52c75ffb891ba

For £13 it'll be worth a go.

Cheapest option would be to PP it. However the quality probably won't be as good.

I found this on Google, maybe it will be of some use to you:

1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 drop green or blue food coloring
1 teaspoon clear dishwashing liquid

Mix and stir all ingredients. Test the fake blood on a rag to make sure it doesn't stain. If it does, add more dishwashing liquid.

Hmm, thats interesting about the dishwasher liquid ... Im guessing it may act like a wetting agent ...the colour in one end of the molecule and the water in the other ... hence no staining....washing powder works in the same way for our cloths- dirt in one end and water in the other. ...its really the molecular engineering that cleans our cloths not the soapy part.

Maybe test the idea on similar bowls and on the skin before you fill the bath or stain the model though.

Last edited:
If you are going to use staining, would baby lotion stop the skin staining?

I need to shoot myself in a video with red dye (currently I’m an amateur model and photographer/adult content creator). Someone said bath bombs work. If thats what they use with the results I’ve seen in pics for color I’d suggest anyone to try making their own if they need a specific color like black. I was coming to see if photographers had better advice but justxan fyi, food dye stains your skin for days. You’d have terrible outcome from pics made with food dye if you expect to get more than one pose

I need to shoot myself in a video with red dye (currently I’m an amateur model and photographer/adult content creator). Someone said bath bombs work. If thats what they use with the results I’ve seen in pics for color I’d suggest anyone to try making their own if they need a specific color like black. I was coming to see if photographers had better advice but justxan fyi, food dye stains your skin for days. You’d have terrible outcome from pics made with food dye if you expect to get more than one pose

Wow, thread from the dead time!!

I think that in the intervening 8 years, the colour would have worn off...

Last edited:
Wat about using a coloured girl in white water? you could then convert the photo

Think the bath water would have changed colour all by itself over 8 years.......

Food colouring

Food colouring? As far as I know, they usually come in small bottles and have enough amount for most home cooking or baking, but to make a bath water look jet black, I would assume you need a (or two) dozen bottles of food colouring? The OP wants to do photography, not start a bakery business. :)

Last edited:
Strange question i know but i want to do a shoot with a model in the near future in which her face emerges from water but i want the water to be black or red. I have found bath bomb type things in red but i would love to have black water (not dirty grey) and have no idea how to achieve this without permenantly staining the poor girls skin/hair.

Anyone done anything along these lines before or know how to achieve this? Any help would be much apreciated.

What about forget using something to put in the bath water, and just go for using Photoshop to change the water's colour?

After all, you mention you want her face to "emerges from water" which imply you want to ask her to dive her head underwater, then rise up out of the water. So you would have to make an effort to make sure what you put in the water to turn it black, had to be safer for her, not just for her skin but also in case she got few drops into her mouth, or may get some in her eyes. You would need to check if bath bombs or paint or dyes are safe in the event if she gets some in her mouth. I assume food colouring is okay after all, it is food but I don't know about her eyes. Using Photoshop would mean plain water (assuming you didn't leave traces of soap, bath bubbles, shampoo left in the bath and had raised it totally clean), thus a lot safer for her.

Don't forget that there is no way you could get the prefect shot for your needs on the first go, you could be taking a dozen different shots, different angles, lighting levels, timing, etc., which means she would need to duck underwater and rise out of the water like many times to get the prefect shot. The more she does it, the sooner or later there will come a moment when she may end up having a few drops of water in her mouth. There could be a bad timing when she have a little cough underwater.

But then again, hopefully someone out there knows a lot safer way of turning the water black and still is safer for the model, so hope someone can offer you a better option.

Wow I'd forgotten all about this thread.

As it happens I tried this and used the black clingfilm technique as I found we had rolls of it at my last work. I lined the bath with it and filled the bath with water, then it was all about the lighting.

Do they do red plastic wrap?

Back