How can I replicate old Ektachrome?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm new around here so hello!

I have an unusual question regarding reversal film. I'm looking for a suitable colour reversal film that is similar in dynamic range to the old Ektachrome EF ISO 160, which, as I understand had about 3 stops dynamic range. I understand some of the newer films are much improved in this department. It's quite a few years since I've used film and some of the familiar names are no longer with us.

I'm not that bothered about speed or manufacturer but do need to limit that dynamic range as much as possible to 1960s/70s technology 3-4 f stops. 35mm ideally.

Any advice gladly received.

Alan

Thanks for that information. That range is about right. As for the film, I was there at the Manchester launch back in 87 or 88. Impressive film indeed! :)

Hi Alan, what you need is Kodak Ektachrome E100 VS, the VS stands for Vivid Saturation, it's closest you can get to the original Early Ektachrome stuff. I scan thousands of old Ektachromes and Fuji Velvia so know the differences. The Fuji Velvia will give you good colour saturation but the film base is softer with very little grain, great for subtle landscapes but the Ektachrome was geared for more Street photography and Punchy Saturated colours, it has a certain hardness and colour to it that you won't get with the Fuji. The new VS film is a modern equivalent, you'll certainly get punchy images from it. Matt

Back