How content are you with your camera?

Are you happy with your gear ?

• I'm content, No plans to upgrade.

Votes: 85 72.6%
  • Well there's this body/lens I've always lusted after

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • If a new body/lens offers a feature I want, I'll buy it.

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Well you've got to have it if they've improved the spec's want you?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want the best with the best AF,ISO, Noise, IQ

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I'm a total gear-head I always buy the latest gear when it comes out

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Happy with my D750. I'll probably upgrade when (and if!) the Nikon mirrorless line offers significant focusing improvements over it, but not before.
A better liveview experience might tempt me to switch from a D750 if the replacement had it alongside the current feature set. But I doubt the price would.

Is the D750 live view experience not that good then?
Depends on what you want to do I suppose. Moving the focus point around is painful - a touch screen would be nice. Focusing can be a bit slow too. Face detect works well enough. For static subjects it's fine, for moving subjects I find it hit and miss.

OK, thanks. I'd only use live view for low angle work where I'd otherwise have to guess what the camera saw - when I do this now I pre-focus, then disable AF (and use manual exposure sometimes too).

OK, thanks. I'd only use live view for low angle work where I'd otherwise have to guess what the camera saw - when I do this now I pre-focus, then disable AF (and use manual exposure sometimes too).
That's what I use it for mostly, but I have recently been using the flip out screen to save me from bending my knees or kneeling down! :LOL:

I find it interesting that the most recently introduced camera I have been considering as an upgrade from my D610 was released in 2016 and the Sony A7rII was released in Jun 2015, which says something about design maturation and longevity.

My old Canon G10 died a few months ago, mainly do street photography for stock sites so prefer a more discrete set up.

Bought the Canon M50 body
Canon EF-M 11-22 mm f/4-5.6 IS STM (best lens of the M series)
Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM (+adaptor)

Next on the wish list is the Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Happy with my D750, I tend to upgrade-lenses now as better ones appear on the second hand market

That's an interesting point. This weekend I've been reconsidering if I want to stay Nikon using older f mount lenses, upgrading lenses slowly, or whether that's a dead-end because f mount will be going out of fashion and the *investment* I would make in lenses would lose money compared to a.n.other system. I know the way for me to get more detailed images is likely to be using better lenses than a camera with more pixels.

We need a new poll option: I agonise for months over whether I can justify a small upgrade. :p

Last edited:
Well I am happy with most of my gear.
Ok I am maybe missing a fast 50 but not sure I have use for one.
The D500 is great and the 200-500 lives with it until it gets a lighter then the 1.4tc will probably join in.
The D800 is my only debate, The lenses I have for it work great for me the tokina 16-28 2.8, the 70-200 vrii and the sigma 150 os macro.
My only thing is I wanted a D810 did not have the money for it and got a D800 offered at a good price that I could afford.
The D800 does everything I need it to, but I have the issue it was not the camera I really wanted and everyone seems to say the D810 is better :D

Last edited:
I find the 'space race' within the photography market quite amusing. You get the photographers falling for the marketing hype thrown at them by the camera makers for the latest 'black box with a hole in it', with 58MP full frame sensor that is 35% better than the the previous full frame sensor....... but the 'market' these photographers are aiming at only want a maximum of 800 pixels wide pictures. :rolleyes:

Let's look at that again. You buy a camera that produces a picture, which you then have to crop down to about 1/1000th of its original size so that it can be viewed on the current, 'in fashion' viewing device. You pay for the extra performance, you pay for the extra computing power needed to cope with the bigger picture, you pay for the extra storage required to archive your 58MP pictures.... but people only look at 800 pixel version. It's hilarious!

Even at work, the amount of 'image information' provided to the publisher that gets thrown away is enormous - send in a 10MB file and it gets downgraded to about 2MB for actual use.... so what was the point of the 10MB file in the first place? Christ alive, even pictures off telephones can make a full page if done right. The camera technology thing is just a way of generating income.

and the Sony A7rII was released in Jun 2015, which says something about design maturation and longevity.

Wow, hadn't realised it's nearly 4 years old already. Still feels very fresh/modern, even alongside my a7III and for family days out it's still my #1 as I just take one prime and know I can crop the hell out of it if needs be due to that big, beautiful sensor.

You get the photographers falling for the marketing hype thrown at them by the camera makers for the latest 'black box with a hole in it', with 58MP

Interesting, if anything I'd say that the megapixel arms race has well and truly eased off. Dynamic range and high ISO performance have been the two key factors of the past 5 years or so. Sony have a 42mp sensor out there yet it's the 24mp one that is wildly popular, and bodies like the a7S have shown there is a market for an even more extreme focus on low light performance.

Fuji got their foot in the door with a 16mp sensor and stuck with it for an age, built a large and loyal following despite 24/36/42mp sensors being 'the norm' with many direct rivals.

Even smartphone cameras have shifted significantly to low light and shallow depth of field as selling points.

Last edited:
I'm thankfully content with what I have. :)

I don't really do shallow depth of field pics, so no need for big, heavy expensive lenses. I generally don't take pics handheld in low light, so no need for the latest sensor. I have focal length coverage from 15-450mm (FF equivalent), which has covered anything I have wanted to take pics of 99.9% of the time over the last 10+ years, so no massive focal length big, heavy expensive lenses. I can take pics at 10fps when needed, with a buffer that I have never filled even at 10fps. I have enough resolution for anything I would want to use the images for. The camera is of a size that fits almost perfectly in my hand (the previous camera felt slightly better ;) ) :)

Over the last few years I have thankfully had the money to get almost anything I would have wanted, but there has been nothing I have wanted. :thinking: :) Saying that, I did buy a Tripod and Head last year though, but that was because I left the previous combo on a boat on a trip abroad, :rolleyes: :banghead: and so had to replace them, but I got the up to date versions of both that I lost because the previous combo worked for me. :)

Atm I doubt there is any significant feature/upgrade that would tempt me to change what I have got, because it is all perfect for the things I take pics of. :) I'm still interested in the technology, but it is as an observer rather than a potential user. Maybe at some point my mind could change, but not for anything I can forsee at this time.

I feel for those who haven't got the same contentment I have with my gear, and hope they get to the same point as quickly (and cheaply) as possible. But I also know that for some part of this hobby is the chopping and changing, and the 'need' for the latest gear for whatever reason(s). Good luck to those people, as long as they are not putting themselves or others in financial difficulty, then enjoy the ride. ;)

I find the 'space race' within the photography market quite amusing. You get the photographers falling for the marketing hype thrown at them by the camera makers for the latest 'black box with a hole in it', with 58MP full frame sensor that is 35% better than the the previous full frame sensor....... but the 'market' these photographers are aiming at only want a maximum of 800 pixels wide pictures. :rolleyes:

Let's look at that again. You buy a camera that produces a picture, which you then have to crop down to about 1/1000th of its original size so that it can be viewed on the current, 'in fashion' viewing device. You pay for the extra performance, you pay for the extra computing power needed to cope with the bigger picture, you pay for the extra storage required to archive your 58MP pictures.... but people only look at 800 pixel version. It's hilarious!

Even at work, the amount of 'image information' provided to the publisher that gets thrown away is enormous - send in a 10MB file and it gets downgraded to about 2MB for actual use.... so what was the point of the 10MB file in the first place? Christ alive, even pictures off telephones can make a full page if done right. The camera technology thing is just a way of generating income.

Variety is the spice of life, at least in some ways, and most of us here take pictures for our own pleasure and a few modest sales, rather than to make a living on a tight margin. The D3/4/5 cameras are aimed at you, the Sony A7 series, D610/750/850 5D4SR (or whatever) are aimed at us. You would prefer to keep using the same kit for a couple of decades because upgrading & relearning is lost time and money, while for us it can be enjoyable to experiment with new techniques and capabilities made possible by better gear.

Yes, camera technology is a way of generating income, but most of us will happily pay for the privilege of not having to focus on a ground glass screen under a large black cloth while trying to stop our subject moving during several seconds exposure. T'was ever thus. And yes, some will happily pay for the opposite experience.

:)

Last edited:
I have an entry level DSLR (Nikon 3300) and I use the kit lens (18-55) for a lot of my photography (landscape). I’m usually happy with the photos I produce and when I’m not, it’s usually my fault. However, I do list after a newer lens and sometimes I find myself perusing full-frame bodies. I would happily buy a D600 second hand but I would also have to upgrade my kit lens, which would add another £600, which is impossible to justify for the marginal gains in image quality so I continue to shoot away with what I’ve got!

I made the decision a few months ago to switch systems. My own thought process was simply to run my 610 and 750 into the ground, or keep apace with the technology. Depreciation was very much in mind. I expect to replace a body every 4 years and so now feel very content, I can’t see me needing any big outlays for a good few years.

I think there’s a lot to be said for contentment. Completely understand how gear can help some to get out there again. There’s very different requirements for a working pro compared to an enthusiast like myself and the depth of your pockets will also be a factor.

Last edited:
I seem to have gone the other way than many others and traded from a CSC to a D750. Haven't had it long enough to see if I'm happy but so far the AF-C is far better. I think eventually I'll switch back to the Sony A9 or something, but it will be a long, long time away as I only shoot for pleasure.

The whole systems thing really is a PITA right now. A week ago I was content with Nikon, just wanting better AF and a movable screen. Now I've researched I'm wondering about simply moving on before I commit myself deeper to a system that's going to get limited development. I've been here already once with Sony SLTs and A mount, and I don't really want it to happen again.

The Nikon Z7 has a movable screen.. I think the 850 does too. But then you get the 10,495GB file sizes that come with them! ISO performance is stellar, literally - with the 850 able to focus in astronomical twilight, no moon, just starlight, which is mind boggling. ISO expandable to 3 million and something, but perfectly usable at 105,000, unbelievable detail at such ridiculous film speed.
The money making thing I spoke of wasn't for me - the camera companies and everyone associated, they are dreaming up new ways of parting people from their money, when there really is no NEEED, plenty of WANT, but no real need.

I’m very happy with my 7D mk 2 it does everything I need
I mainly use it with a 300 2.8 if I replaced the 7D with a full frame I would have to buy a longer lens probably the 400 2.8 to do the same things that I use my setup for
Even if I could afford to swap I wouldn’t because the weight would be too much at the moment I can handhold my 7D and 300mm anything heavier would be too much to manage

Happy as Larry with my D500, can’t really fault it, I suppose there’s better out there but I’m struggling to see how much ‘better’ they can be, maybe the only gripe would be live view focus as it’s just awful but I don’t use it,so not bothered.

For sports and wildlife things, with the 70-200FL and the 200-500 is pretty special in my mind.

Ok i'm just a beginner but I really like my Canon 750D mainly because of the way it feels in the hand & due to the size of the grip as I have nerve damage in both hands & can loose all feeling in my hands so need something I can hold onto well. The only things I really want at the moment is lenses as I need a longer lens than my Tamron 70-300mm & quite fancy a wide angle lens & maybe a macro lens

Very happy with all three of my Fuji X cameras and the lenses I own and can`t fault it at all. Great colours and using my light weights lenses is a joy, if anything goes wrong at all it is down to user error but not often now. Dials and buttons in just the right places to get to if and when I need too as well.

Interesting results so far!

I'm quite a gear head, don't mind admitting it. By gear head I guess I mean I take a a great interest in the equipment, the technology, the design, the materials, interfaces etc and I like trying different kit out and like talking about it. But didn't vote in the last category mainly because I tend to buy cameras in the the 'last year's model' kind of range when they're either readily available used or have massively come down in new price. Don't need to have the latest and greatest there and then. My main camera (A D800) is now a 7 year old design.

But I do think about possible changes a lot, I do like to read or watch reviews and keep abreast of development. Rarely get sucked into believing I 'need' anything but often am guilty of wanting something I definitely don't need but it's rare that I act on it. One thing that is clear is that the strive for better images is very much a self-fueling mechanism. We got new mega hi-res sensors so we needed new super-fast cards and PC's to go with them and the sensors made lenses that used to be fantastic suddenly seem a bit average. So we needed better lenses to make use of these better sensors but then we found that auto focus systems that used to be brilliantly accurate for measly 12mp sensors with those average lenses are suddenly not quite as accurate as they need to be now we have the potential for such amazing detail. So then we needed amazing eye detecting focus systems in mirrorless cameras that can perfectly nail every last iris muscle every single time, even in a coal mine. There will never be an end to it but I'm quite enjoying the ride.
None of the changes I've ever made has made any real difference to the quality of what I do. Sometimes they've inspired me to get out a bit more or maybe paved the way to try a new genre but that's clutching at straws.

When I have the time and conditions to actually be out shooting a lot, I almost never think about gear. Which is quite telling as it implies that what I have is perfectly adequate as I rarely find any shortcomings when I'm actually using the thing. But when I'm stuck in the house and can't get out, the mind can wander!

I’m very happy with my Fuji XE2 and 23mm prime, so much so that the 56mm prime never gets used. Recently I’ve been trying to take pics of fast moving cars and I now think a quicker autofocus system within the Fuji ecosystem would really help so maybe an XT3 in the future but I can’t justify the spend.

I LOVE my D850!. I hear a lot about mirrorless but until the battery life is greatly improved & I see other benefits to switching I can see myself sticking with what I have.

I had a pair of D7100's so now I have one full frame and one cropped. As for lens's..... ill probably get a f1.4 of some discriptionat some point but right now im happy with what I have.

Blasphemy!! :fuji: :):):)

Been stoned... For blasphemy, of course!!! o_O

The secret to a happy life is to learn to like what you have, rather than wanting what you haven't got.

Quoted for truth! Managed to convince myself that previous upgrades have really been upgrades and am not pretty much happy with what I have and use - it does all I want/need it to. Any extra X-T2s will be to make life easier by having identical bodies so fewer differences for my damaged brane to cope with!

I'm going through a strange period with my latest acquisition: GX80 ... nice camera for sure but I don't love her like past and present Nikon gear and my little G7X that I managed to lose recently. :cautious:

I feel very fortunate having an abundance of opportunities to make great images and to keep developing skills. Gear is not the issue, I’m happy with that.

I feel very fortunate having an abundance of opportunities to make great images and to keep developing skills. Gear is not the issue, I’m happy with that.
Yep, there's more to photography than "gear".

I used to have GAS when I was younger. I started with Canon then moved to Nikon. Then back to Canon then to Sony then back to Canon then stuck with them for a while then went Fuji. In the whole time I spent about £25k+ over the couple of years from multiple new cameras and lenses to selling them and re-buying them. I could afford so it so at the time it was justified (at least to myself) and didn't think it was that bad however I started to look after my money better in the recent years and realised how stupid it actually was. The reason I did it was because I could and because I found that it was actually mental issues that caused me to do this. It wasn't just with cameras but it was with anything. I was in a bad place and the excitement of something new made me happy and in the process became a Jack of all trades but master of none. I wish I'd known about this beforehand as I probably would still have my 5D3 and L glass instead of forcing myself to sell it all for a short moment of joy. Then I sold it all last year to give up on photography for a while to actually try and realise if I do actually enjoy it. I came to the conclusion I did and with the money I'd made selling my kit I'm now content with my recently bought camera which is a Fuji X100T and Rolleicord VA 2 120 film camera.

Deep :LOL: but this is actually the first time I've spoke about this so hope it helps someone.

Back