How do I change a default in photoshop

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
As most of you guys will know that I am a techi dinosaur. I have successfully installed CS3 onto my PC and the problem I am having is when I click on a RAW image in Bridge it opens up in Photoshop Elements 5?? I right clicked the image and saw that the open with is defaulted to Elements 5 even though CS3 is already open.

In haste, I completely removed/uninstalled Elements 5 as I have never used it anyway as I had CS2 before today. Now I click on the image and it doesn't open up at all, even when I manually go to File open - nothing.

What have I done? What do I need to do?

Help me pleeeze!

Gillian:bang:

Hi,

Don't set this in PS but at the os level.

Find a file in windows explorer, right click on it and you'll see a properties item - in Vista it's on the general tab just down from the top.

Let me know if this works ok.

N1

if you are using windows XP then right click on the file you want to open go down the list to "Properties" click on that. Then in the "General" tab which should what it shows you first anyway, look for the "opens with" section, click on the "Change" button and select Photoshop CS3 from that list that should appear, make sure you tick the box at the bottom of this screen that says something like "always use this software to open this type of file" then click ok and apply it.

if you are using windows XP then right click on the file you want to open go down the list to "Properties" click on that. Then in the "General" tab which should what it shows you first anyway, look for the "opens with" section, click on the "Change" button and select Photoshop CS3 from that list that should appear, make sure you tick the box at the bottom of this screen that says something like "always use this software to open this type of file" then click ok and apply it.

Thanks JL. I do have XP Pro. I have right clicked on a RAW image in Bridge and there is no Properties on the list.

Mine says:
Open
Open in Camera Raw (works now) it is not greyed out anymore
Cut
Copy
Delete
Move to
Copy to
Reveal in Explorer
Add to Favourites
Rename
Batch Name
Develop Settings
Generate high quality thumbnail
Lock Item
File info
Label
New Folder
Sort
Start meeting

Any ideas?

Sorted it. Phew! Under Control Panel I changed the RAW File type and chose PS CS3. Thanks for help and advice guys. (y)

Back