How do I get rid of a Facebook account?

The thing I find somewhat amusing about the OP is that if you delete a dormant account you are only giving them more information about you than they already have — eg that you are still alive for a start — and if you believe they actually delete anything you are living in unicorn land. It would be a major operation to delete data from all the backups — I guess impossible — and they have given/sold your data to all and sundry :mad: and can’t get it back.
Yes. That is true. However, it's good not to count toward the numbers of users. And you can say honestly and proudly say you are not on Facebook. Which is one of the main reasons people join. "Because my friends are on Facebook". Because Facebook don't allow users to connect to family on other social networks. Unlike all the open decentralised ones. Where you don't have to join the same network to connect to friends and family. Like email providers, pick any one you prefer. No ads. No click bait. No private data misuse. Naturally all these networks have picked up loads of new users since the news of the on going Facebook scandals have been appearing. Take a look at what is going on: https://the-federation.info

I don't. I'm not on Facebook. Or twitter. Or any other social media network. Facebook tracks your behaviour on sites external to Facebook and use your browsing habits to create a profile.

Going by your photo you don't have the internet at all!

If you are deleting FB account, just make sure to change your name to something creative or very common and delete all the data. If you can scramble DOB.

You won't be really deleting anything from their servers, but confusing them with disinformation is always good and well.

Facebook is just driven by the power of 'Big Data' and that's not going away anytime soon - it's everywhere now and in many cases without a identifiable brand.

I've had a few friends who recently did the facebook download of data held and they were horrified. How did facebook know they used the corner chippy, how did they know which garage serviced their cars etc. They were apoplectic with rage over this gross invasion of privacy etc.

Once they calmed down, the rational explanation was they had provided their contact details to the businesses concerned - freely. The businesses concerned had facebook pages and the businesses had uploaded the list of their contacts (a conscious process - they decided to). It's all information they had willingly provided at a point in time, but because Facebook had surfaced the data in one place - oh the horror!

The reality is you are still in control over what you share (either by giving your email address to the corner shop, or sharing the details of the latest car you bought on twitter). Whether that's good or bad is entirely a personal decision. I couldn't care less if the world knows I shop at Sainsbury's, but someone else might. I do care whether they know I have a fetish for chocolate-chip-chicken burgers wrapped in gold leaf, so I keep that to myself (oh bugger!). The point is I'm in control - and GDPR further improves the situation.

I don't think it's a case of social media is evil - lots of good has come from it, but also lots of bad too - for me the constant pressure on the young-un's today is an issue - and the answer for some will to be stay away, but that's not the answer for all.

If you are deleting FB account, just make sure to change your name to something creative or very common and delete all the data. If you can scramble DOB.

You won't be really deleting anything from their servers, but confusing them with disinformation is always good and well.
I’m constantly surprised that anyone gives their true DOB to Facebook. Most of my contracts seem to have done — though the dogs have all lied because they were under 13 when they joined ;)

Back