1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am working on my photos in Elements 11 and I have a problem which is doing my head in to such an extent I might give up with photography.

I get my photos printed at Fugi labs and I'm fed up to the back teeth now of being told that I can only have them at 8 + 6 becuae the resolution is too low. I've asked someone to explain (as because of my Autismn, I have Aspbergers) I can't understand figures and numbers at all. But I'm still confused as the staff are very vague and I still can't undersatnd what they mean.

When I do a photo I upload it and check the Image tab, and image resize. I always make sure the resolution is on 300, but what numbers do I put in the Width and height? At the moment they are both on centimetres, should I have it on inches?

Also, what does the resample image box do, it's unticked at the moment I only have the constrain proportions box ticked at present.

Sorry to ask, I get so frastred and worried I've now messed up my photo's. I just want someone to sit down with me and sort my memory stick out and explain to me in plain English how to sort this out. Somehow I'm inadvertantly ruining my images without understanding what's happening.

I am trying to do a portfolio, but the images need to be bigger, but everytime i go to get them printed, I'm told this just insn't possible which winds me right up.

2. Dave70D

Dave70D

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Aura, I would not let them do your head in too the extent that you`d stop photography at all. I use to have Elements 11 too, when I`d get any photos printed I would have the longest side ( width ) at about 2438, when you tap that in, it should automatically do the height. Hope this helps you out :) Plus when you resize, make sure it is on Pixels.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM
  3. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    Let's ignore the "how to" for now and check what size your images could be printed at..

According to your profile your using a Pentax K30, which uncropped and a maximum resolution produces an image 4928 x 3264 pixels.

High quality for printing is generally accepted as 300 pixels per inch..
    4928 / 300 = 16.4
    3264 / 300 = 10.88

So broadly speaking the files straight from the camera (no cropping) should produce high quality prints to 16" x 10" - in practical terms 16" on the long side.

Now, picking 12"x8" as a target print size. I'm a bit rusty on PS Elements (more used to Lightroom), but between your opening post and an online Adobe guide..
    1. Set the dimensions to "inches" (standard print sizes are usually inches)
    2. Set the Resolution to 300 pixels/inch
    3. Keep Constrain Proportions ticked
    4. Leave Resample Image unticked
    5. Check whether Width or Height is the larger number and change that number only to 12, the other number should change automatically
    6. Click OK
    7. Save as a new file with a new name
    Your new file should be good for printing 12"x8"

However.. all of the above assumes that:
    • Your shooting at maximum image quality.
    • You're not cropping the image.
    • You're not losing image quality by saving at a smaller file size later in the process.

At this point, I want to point out that using Lightroom rather than PS Elements is not only a more powerful tool it's a far safer tool in terms of protecting image quality - it's really, really difficult in Lightroom to lose pixels but incredibly easy in Elements. I also think it's an easier tool for this sort of thing, but it is substantially more expensive.

Dave70D likes this.
  4. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for your replies.
    I now have a Nikon D5300 so I better change that. is that the same measurements using a Nikon please?

5. PaulButler

PaulButler

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    The Nikon produces larger files at max size 6000 x 4000 pixels.

6. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hang on whilst I Google that....

Ok, the maximum resolution of the D5300 is 6000 x 4000 pixels. This only changes the first part of my response..

High quality for printing is generally accepted as 300 pixels per inch..
    6000 / 300 = 20
    4000 / 300 = 13.33

So broadly speaking the files straight from the camera (no cropping) should produce high quality prints to 20" x 13" - in practical terms 18" on the long side.​

As long as you're shooting at maximum resolution and not cropping, you should be good for the highest quality printing up to 18"x12" prints.

7. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ok so should I just leave the image tab alone, and just do the auto's on the touch up bit on the right hand side?

8. droj

droj

Edit My Images:
    No
    Keep original files as a resource on which you can draw for different purposes.

Resize as Alastair says for a particular print size (pixels to inches). At camera output size, unless you want prints that big, they'll take longer to upload to the lab. But you're right about 300 pixels per inch.

When saving, give a new or modified name and / or save to a different folder. Also when saving (as a jpg), for print purposes rather than web, save at maximum jpg quality. Or pretty high at least. I wonder if that's what the problem's been?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:47 PM
  9. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    No idea.. you only asked about resizing and it's been a long while since I had a copy of Elements open in front of me.

A question that's occurred to me..

Without resizing the image at all, you're being told that the files you're providing to the printer are only good enough quality for 8"x6"? If this is true I'm worried that there's something going wrong in your workflow. If you do absolutely nothing to the images and handed the memory card direct to the printer they should have no problem at all printing to 18"x12" from the files straight out of the camera.

Ploddles likes this.
  10. StewartR

StewartR Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart (duh)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Absolutely. That occurred to me too. It looks like something bad is happening in the workflow...

11. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sometimes the image's are dark so I lighten them up, maybe it's something I'm doing and not aware of it.

12. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    My guess is it's one of two things:
    • You don't have the camera set to the highest resolution; or
    • It's the way you save the image after asking the adjustments in Elements.
    Shooting jpg and using basic software like Elements makes it incredibly easy to make a mistake in your workflow. It's the least forgiving and most demanding of workflows and needs you do to everything 100% right first time because mistakes aren't recoverable- unless the very first thing you do is make a spare copy of the jpg files and lock them away on a drive where you don't touch them. That way you've got a back-up of the original.

Golden rules of working with jpgs and Elements - only work on a copy of the original, always save to a new filename.

Lightroom is worth the investment. Even if you're not shooting raw it preserves the original jpg you're working on. It's much harder to make a non-recoverable error using Lightroom.

BrynBoru likes this.
  13. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd love lightroom, but i just can't afford it as yet.

14. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    Ok, but how about addressing these issues..
    Can you confirm that you have your camera set to the highest resolution?

Do you make a back-up of your image files to a safe place before you start working on a copy of the image files in Elements?

Do you save as a new file name after you make your adjustments?

Have you checked the save settings you're using to make sure that your saving your files at the highest quality setting after making your adjustments in Elements?

15. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's on fine

TBH no I didn't but I am learning, so now I will make a copy and put it side by side

Yes

Still getting used to elements, how do I do this please?

16. Alastair

Alastair

Edit My Images:
    No
    LouiseTopp likes this.
  17. LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

Name:
    Aura
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for the links :)