How do I use multiple flashes to light up a large area ?

Edit My Images
Yes
When I was a member of my local caving club there was a photographer there that used multiple flashes when we were under ground to light up chambers they were triggered from the flash of the first one (I think !) Assuming I have this right what type of flash guns would I need and how would I use them ? I have 3 flashes from my dads collection a Sunpak auto 140, Starblitz 200a and a jena zoom auto 3600. How far away from the camera with its own flash would they need to be and how far from each other ,how many for a given area ?

Thanks for any advise

Brad

Your best bet would be to try lighting the inside of a chapel,
church or even a cathedral that would have similar volume.

First, you'll have a lot of fun trying and 2' learning by doing.
I did.

Newer flash guns have radio triggers built in and of course there are a lot of flash triggers out there, I use these triggers when underground, they are cheap and light weight: http://r.ebay.com/8Vg2Xl
There are also the dedicated caving triggers - http://www.fireflyelectronics.co.uk/pages/info.htm - but these days these are quite expensive for what they are. Other than th0se fireflies I'd avoid light based triggers and go for radio ones, like the ones I linked. The firefly is really sensitive to IR light from the flash, the cheaper optical triggers aren't that sensitive and you often want to tuck them down behind a rock of what ever.

You cannot use the on camera flash at all because it will light-up the mist in the air and your photo will look foggy, all your flashes need to be off-camera. If your camera doesn't have a hot-shoe or flash cable socket, you need really need something like the firefly to trigger the flash.

The difficulty with @Phil V 's suggestion is moving around the cave without creating unwanted light from your head torch, although some people make it work.

Edit to add, flashes have different powers so it hard to say how far they will reach, remember that most cave photos are shot wide angle so things look further away than they are. Unless you get some pretty heavy duty kit you can probably only do 5m to 10m, also limestone and mud are a variety of shades of grey and brown so absorb differing amounts of light.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, Up until this point I haven't used flash other than a couple of test shots, but remembered seeing a slide show of some of his photos and a number of us being forced to hold flashes around caverns in various mines and cave networks around the country. I guess he was most likley using wireless triggers.

Have a look at DuncanDisorderly's posts for some tips on caving photography. He's not been around for a little while but the tips should still be helpful and his shots inspirational (if you're into tight spaces!)

When I was a member of my local caving club there was a photographer there that used multiple flashes when we were under ground to light up chambers they were triggered from the flash of the first one (I think !) Assuming I have this right what type of flash guns would I need and how would I use them ? I have 3 flashes from my dads collection a Sunpak auto 140, Starblitz 200a and a jena zoom auto 3600. How far away from the camera with its own flash would they need to be and how far from each other ,how many for a given area ?

Thanks for any advise

Brad

I have a set of Yongnuo flashes and a TTL trigger. The beauty is, you can adjust the flash duration and zoom for each flashgun remotely.

I have a set of Yongnuo flashes and a TTL trigger. The beauty is, you can adjust the flash duration and zoom for each flashgun remotely.
So so I and some cavers swaer by them but I have found the triggers to be unreliable underground, I guess the damp gets to them. I use the Yongnuo flashes with those cheap triggers I linked above when caving.

Back