How do I watch my tablet through my Smart(?) TV?

Edit My Images
Yes
Why is everything that is sold as "Smart" really just dumb? Cycling computers, electricity meters etc.
Got a Samsung "Smart" TV. Long since given up trying to use it for the internet. Catch up TV is about the smartest thing it will do.
Now I want to want Channel 5 on catch up, but the only way to do that is through My5. That's not on the "Smart" TV menu. I've tried to install it through the TV internet facility but all I get is an error message saying that memory is insufficient to finish the operation. As I'm doing this through my home wifi I don't see what that means. The app page shows as installed, but it isn't.
So I have tried my Samsung "Smart" tablet. That does work. I've downloaded the app and can watch My5 on it. Trouble is it is only a piddly little screen and terrible sound quality.
So I thought that I could connect my "Smart" tablet to my "Smart" TV and all would be well. Just one problem...the TV isn't "Smart" enough to recognise the tablet. All I get on the tablet is a message saying that I'm on slow charge, and the TV just keeps telling me to connect a device. Socket I'm using is claimed to be USB3, and I can put a USB stick into there and it seems to work just fine.
What am I doing wrong, or is it not possible to watch a tablet through a TV?

I've always held that smart TVs are a) not and b) pretty useless. My guess is the reason it's not working is that the USB port is designed to read data from a drive; that's not what your tablet is doing at the moment, it's streaming video via an app.

If you don't mind spending an extra few quid then a Chromecast *should* see you right; it uses your home Wifi network to let you 'cast' from most devices to your TV. I've never tried one with My5 (I don't think) but I've used one with lots of other TV apps (except Amazon Prime; 'cos Google and Amazon hate each other).

The other way would be a a cable from your table to the HDMI of your telly, but the Chromecast solution is much more elegant.

Thanks. I'm not on Amazon prime so that won't be a problem.
I'll have a wander down to Curry's and have a look at Chromecast units.

Some TVs have a built in chromecast feature, what SMART TV is it?

Some TVs have a built in chromecast feature, what SMART TV is it?
It's a Samsung Ue48h8000 48" Led Tv.
It was bought in December 2014 which I assume means that it is pretty old technology by now.

I can't see any mention of Chromecast either on any screen or in the handbook.

I had a similar issue and bought a pretty rubbish Smart TV. It has My5 but a bunch of other stuff is missing. I have a smart bluray player, a smart TV and neither has everything I want. The chromecast is a very handy bit of kit though; you can watch or see just about anything on your phone on your TV - TV apps, Youtube, Documents, your photos etc. I wish I'd seen these before I bought the bloody TV.

The H8000 is a DLNA device, so you'll be able to send content to it, so if you have video on your phone that you want to share, it's a straightforward process if you have the right app to do so. Those on Android might want to try Skifta, our perennial favourite.

From a Review, connect the TV to your WIFA and have your tablet also on the same WIFI network

The H8000 is a DLNA device, so you'll be able to send content to it, so if you have video on your phone that you want to share, it's a straightforward process if you have the right app to do so. Those on Android might want to try Skifta, our perennial favourite.

From a Review, connect the TV to your WIFA and have your tablet also on the same WIFI network
Thanks. That sounds good, but I wouldn't have a clue how to start doing any of that!!

Presumably Skitfa is downloaded to my tablet. How does the TV pick that up. And will it work for My5 as well as video?
Sorry for sounding daft, but when it comes to techy stuff I'm pretty thick:help::banghead:

The TV should be able to use it's own MY5 app, something is stopping it from installing fully.
Is the firmware of the tv at it's latest available version?
Is the error message saying not enough memory or not enough storage? If it's storage then try uninstalling other apps that aren't being used.

The problem with smart TV's is that the apps simply don't get updated enough after the TV goes out of production, so things quickly start to slow down or stop working.

An easy solution to make your TV "smart" again is to buy a Roku express. For less than £30 the TV will have all the catch up and streaming apps that you are likely to need.

Is the error message saying not enough memory
Yes. I try and install the app, then it hangs. The app screen says installed, but it's not, then over this appears a message saying that I don't have enough memory to complete.
There is no in built My5 app on the TV. My5 is comparatively new compared to the age of the TV and I've not found out how to upgrade the TV. Everything I've looked at says that it is up to date. I presume the support has evaporated after 4 years, and what I've got is all I'm going to get.

What is the difference in practical terms - if any - between a Roku Express and a Chromecast?

The Roku uses apps the same way as your TV does so no need to stream from another device. It would just add another remote to your setup.
The chromecast allows you to stream things from your tablet or PC, arguably doing more functions than the Roku. But for me the Roku is the simpler solution if all you want to do is watch catch up services.

Thanks.
I can't see that I would want to do more than watch catchup TV. I suspect that a new TV will be up to date but there's no point in spending that sort of money.
The Roku might have an extra remote but I'll gave to use a contol of some sort, even if it's just my tablet so that's no real problem.

Another vote for chromecast (I have a dumb tv) which works well with devices though it sounds like you won’t need it.

Pretty sure when I had a samsung tablet I used something called screen mirroring which worked well

Screen mirroring works. Thank you.
Easy to set up - even I can do it - and we're busy watching My5 right now.
The spoken word and lip movements are slightly out of sync, but that may be this programme. Never mind It's only a millisecond out and we can live with that.

......except it keeps dropping out.
Longest I've got it to stay on is 20 minutes:(:(:(
One of the advantages of chromecast is that it doesn’t rely on a signal from your tablet once a program is ‘cast’.

Yes, I thought that might be the case.
Do neither Chromecast or Roku need a signal, other than wifi?
I've looked at both of these - just googling - and the Roku stick seems more suited to HD TV, but is some £70. The cheaper Roku is the same price as Chromecast, and I'm lost with the techno speak!!!

Yes, I thought that might be the case.
Do neither Chromecast or Roku need a signal, other than wifi?
I've looked at both of these - just googling - and the Roku stick seems more suited to HD TV, but is some £70. The cheaper Roku is the same price as Chromecast, and I'm lost with the techno speak!!!
The roku express is 1080p which matches your TV. The more expensive roku is 4k and hdr so would be no benefit to you at the moment.

Our main tv in the lounge is a smart tv and all works well but the bedroom tv’s are older so we ended up buying amazon firesticks and they work perfectly with Netflix, YouTube, Prime and all the tv apps etc.

The roku express is 1080p which matches your TV. The more expensive roku is 4k and hdr so would be no benefit to you at the moment.
Thanks Colin, but I'm not sure what for!!!
Roku Express bought and installed. Account created and credit card details handed over. Fine.
Just one problem...we mainly wanted this to view Channel 5 on catch up. Roku won't do that. It is pre-programmed to show Demand5 which went out the window some time back. My5 - the new method - isn't recognised by Roku. And that damned keyboard that needs dozens of button clicks to find anything is the last straw.
Packed up and going back.
Back to the drawing board.

What's the problem with Demand5? I can see yesterday's shows on it, but I'm not a big Channel 5 watcher. Did you try the Roku app that replaces the remote controller on your phone?

Roku Express bought and installed. Account created and credit card details handed over. Fine.
Just one problem...we mainly wanted this to view Channel 5 on catch up. Roku won't do that. It is pre-programmed to show Demand5 which went out the window some time back. My5 - the new method - isn't recognised by Roku. And that damned keyboard that needs dozens of button clicks to find anything is the last straw.
Back to Chromecast which will do it I think ;)

What's the problem with Demand5? I can see yesterday's shows on it, but I'm not a big Channel 5 watcher. Did you try the Roku app that replaces the remote controller on your phone?
Yup. Tried all that. Ran the updates. No difference. Tried Demand5 but after trawling my way through that god awful keypad just got a message that nothing could be found. Why isn't there a drop down menu rather than having to type the exact programme name?
It's not really very user friendly so it's on it's way back to Amazon.

Sorry, on the rare occasion I've wanted to watch a missed programme on ch5 I've not had a problem. Although the branding of the app is different I didn't think there was a difference in programing.

My apologies.

No worries. Its the pace of modern technological advances and lack of a simple compatibility standard that the problem.

If we don't get it working it won't be the end of the world. We can always resort to recording programmes on the DVD machine...If we can remember how to programme it:rolleyes:

Back