How do you achieve this 'motion' in PP?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
I really like this guy's work, and whilst his panning skills are great I assume some of the shots are done in photoshop. Take these for example, they're at 1/2000 shutter so I would expect everything to be static looking but it's not, so how do you achieve this look in PP, not only the background blurring but also the look of the wheels rotating? I'd like to give it a go as normally when you pan with a slow shutter from this angle part of the car is sharp and part is blurred, it would be nice to get shots like this where the whole car is sharp.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireproof_art/32768975527/in/dateposted/
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireproof_art/47646762042/in/photostream/

And even one a 1/3200
#66 Team Parker Racing Mercedes-AMG GT4: Nick Jones, Scott Malvern by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Last edited:
I doubt a professional motor sport photographer would have the time to mess about in PP to achieve the look of a pan.
One thing common to all those shots is that he was close to the action, which increases the blur of a pan.
Most amateurs and unaccredited Professionals are very restricted as to their vantage points, and at long distances pan effects are hard to achieve except perhaps for s***s directly side on.
The reactions needed to achieve the shots you show. require a great deal of practice and experience.

It’s easily done in photoshop. Create a layer and mask. Then add motion blur to the new layer, and brush out the bits of the mask. Transform the subject a little bigger than the original to reduce blur overlap on the subject. For the wheels, select elliptical tool, select the wheels and add radial blur. Just watch out for shadow areas and fine details.

I doubt a professional motor sport photographer would have the time to mess about in PP to achieve the look of a pan.
One thing common to all those shots is that he was close to the action, which increases the blur of a pan.
Most amateurs and unaccredited Professionals are very restricted as to their vantage points, and at long distances pan effects are hard to achieve except perhaps for s***s directly side on.
The reactions needed to achieve the shots you show. require a great deal of practice and experience.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assumed as they were shot at 120-200mm he wasn't 'that' close, but now I know these were achieved SOOC I'm even more impressed with his pics :eek: (y)

It’s easily done in photoshop. Create a layer and mask. Then add motion blur to the new layer, and brush out the bits of the mask. Transform the subject a little bigger than the original to reduce blur overlap on the subject. For the wheels, select elliptical tool, select the wheels and add radial blur. Just watch out for shadow areas and fine details.
Thanks, appreciate the info. I'm not a photoshop whizz so not 100% sure how to achieve this, but I think I know enough to figure it out from the details you've given (y) I take it there's an option in PS called "motion blur"?

Jonny Henchman is a long time contributor on here with the username "Graphix501" and I'm sure he posted his method for PP his very distinctive style on these images.

Have a search

Last edited:
:D :D I joked about your Olympus - Yeah they are faked, and yeah I am accredited, and yea they take time and no they are not used for editorial, yeah they are used for commercial and yeah I was right up close :D :D
I remember the Olympus remark, just didn’t put two and two together linking your username to your Flickr ;) If I’d have known I wouldn’t have been so flattering of your work :p ;)

Seriously, big fan of your stuff and along with some of Mark Lightfootography’s work your shots are something I aspire towards (y)

Back