Beginner How do you avoid wet knees?

Name
Nathan
Edit My Images
Yes
G’day All.

I’m very much a beginner still learning through practice after a good intro course. One of my main interests is landscapes & (older) architecture as I travel around the U.K. and Europe. One tip I’ve taken to heart to produce more interesting photos is to change the angle. My knees can’t really handle a squat very much, so I find taking a knee easier, however this seems to more often than not lead to a damp knee, :D OK if I’m wearing shorts, but quite annoying in jeans or trousers! :p

I’ve taken to putting a gym towel in my kit bag to kneel on (or lie on occasionally), for the low angle shots. Any other suggestions? What does everyone else do? Or am I taking that tip too far?:oops: :$

Gardening knee board......sorted!
999999-628915258080.jpg

I have a bean bag which I use to steady the lens on in hides. The bean bag has a waterproof wipe-clean cover, and I use that to kneel on. If I don't have that with me I have a microfiber towel in my bag which I fold into 4 and use instead. Its kept in a ziplock back in case it gets wet, and changed when I get home.

I'm off on a shoot tomorrow that will largely be on concrete. I am going to wear a pair of knee pads - £10 from my local builders merchant. Might not look too pretty but I don't care, and it will be in the dark.

As an alternative to the garden knee board, I bought a carry mat from the local Go Outdoors, and cut sections to fit - a piece the size of a knee board will roll up fairly small, so is easier to carry :)

And you get lots of pieces that size from a single carry mat!

I like wet knees on my troosers :) It makes me feel different to all those people lifting their eyephones above their head so they can see the fecking screen. Garden pad as has been suggested is the best idea (only if I could remember I got one in the car :dummy:).

One thing I sometimes do is kneel and put one knee on top of the other foot. If you can visualise that.

Plastic bag. Sorted :)

If you really want to push the boat out: a rubble sack!

Seriously, if I know I'm out for a serious shoot I wear my work trousers with integral kneepads - and I always carry a plastic bag.

Plastic bag. Sorted :)

If you really want to push the boat out: a rubble sack!

Seriously, if I know I'm out for a serious shoot I wear my work trousers with integral kneepads - and I always carry a plastic bag.

I think people know I'm an amateur photographer as they keep sending me useful plastic sacks through the post. They seem to come most days.

There was a guy at the nightshoot I went to recently who was wearing knee pads. I chuckled to myself as he looked a tad silly.

Three hours later, after rolling around on airfield concrete, barely able to move, guess who was laughing longer.

(May buy myself a pair)

Buy a cheapo foam sleeping mat from a camping shop, less than a fiver, cut it into whatever size you want.
I made 4 sit mats from the one I got, 1 is used for just what you need.

I got a damp and muddy knee yesterday (wasn't too bothered lol)

I have a small section of tarpaulin 3'x3' in my bag. It takes up no space at all.

At one time or another I have tried all of the above but I so often find I don't have the mat/bag/pad/whatever with me I just go with the muddy knee. Also you are left with the problem of what do you do with the wet/muddy mat after use? Put it back in your camera bag? Put it in another bag and then put that in your camera bag? But what when the mat-bag gets wet...

I have often intended to keep a large plastic bag or piece of tarp (as @Nostromo suggests) in my bag because I think it would be really handy for all sorts of things, sitting on, putting gear down on etc. but I am just not that organised.

My first reaction on seeing the Title was, spend a Penny before you go out!!! then I noticed it was a serious question, sorry.

That's easy. i,m to bloody old to get down so i just bend my knees slightly or i would never get up.;)

Reactions: Nod
Back