How Do You Carry Your Cameras with HEAVY zoom lenses? Looking for strap recommendations

Recommend a Strap / Sling

• Peak Design

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Black Rapid

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
How Do You Carry Your Cameras with HEAVY zoom lenses attached?

I'm Looking for strap / sling recommendations

I recently bought a 70-200 f/2.8L , the original version with no IS. At nearly 1.5kg it's almost twice the weight of my 60D, even with the added weight of the grip which is negligible.

I've been told that camera bodies cannot take the weight of these heavy lenses and that it can break the lens mount on the body if carried in the usual way, so that I should be attaching my strap to the Lens tripod mount, and not to the camera body as usual.

Can people recommend what straps they use, and how?

I bought one of these peak design anchors, so that I could attach my current strap to my 70-200, but the camera doesn't hang right... perhaps I should attach one half of the strap to the lens, and the other to the camera body?

Hero_1_1024x1024.jpg

Any help and suggestions appreciated, and pictures of how you have yours would greatly be appreciated.

A 70-200 isn't particularly heavy in lens terms. It'll be fine carrying it on a normal camera strap attached to the body.

That would certainly make my life easier, but the Lens weighs 1300g+ and My 60D only about 750g , it's not a professional body so it's not as sturdy, are you sure about that?

Because If I have the lens on a sling, with the lens pointing downward, the whole weight of the lens will be supported by the lens mount on the 60D...

https://www.jessops.com//p/optech/optech-utility-strap-sling-in-black-89693

Blackrapid and suchlike make similar straps but I'm cheap and this one turned out very comfortable.

It's a few quid cheaper on amazon.

Thanks, do you have a picture of how it's attached to your lens? As looking at the link you've sent me, I can't see how it would attach to the lens mount.
51DG3uZ3NNL._SL1000_.jpg

Blackrapid I use it with all my lenses. Very comfortable way to carry heavy lenses

I have looked at various straps (even won a Black Rapid) and was not happy with any of them. They all appeared flimsy and were dug into my shoulder a bit so I made up this (see attached).

It is a leftover strap from a Think Tank backpack (I have a near identical LowePro strap that would do the same), a 3/8 "Eye Bolt" and a 50mm Arca type clamp. As I had the strap and clamp lying about it cost me 38p for the bolt.

I normally use it with a 300 F2.8 or 800 F5.6 with a 1DX, with a 70-200 F2.8 you may forget it is there! I initially thought it was too short (at it's longest length) but after using it for a while it is just right for me (rotund 5'9") and allows shooting without dismounting and can be instantly swung round my back for negotiating brush/woods etc.

Attachments

• Lens06.JPG
    Lens06.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 54
I too have a Peak Design slide, and easy to adjust or remove to swap onto another camera. However with that heavier larger lens I tend to carry them in the crock of my arm to
take the weight. Lighter lenses such as the 24-70mm no problem.

I carried my D750 and 100-400 in the crook of my arm like you, could walk miles like that, far better than the whole lot swinging around on a strap. Still wearing a good aftermarket strap around my neck, both for safety and convenience, ie opening gates etc.

If I'm walking round with a heavy telephoto attached to the camera, I tend to be wearing my rucksack so I keep the camera strap round my neck and hook the tripod foot of the lens into the chest strap of the rucksack. (100-400 & 1.4x telecon attached to an X-T2.)

Peak design slide, each anchor can take something ridiculous like 70kg or something I believe. Anyway, I used it with my D850 and Tamron 150-600mm (practically 3kg in total) with no concern whatsoever. I used to have the black rapid but I didn't trust the one attachment.

@gothgirl The strap comes with a pair of clips, I have one on the camera and the other on the 70-200. Strap over the shoulder and attach to whatever clip is applicable.

I believe the 60D has a magnesium frame and metal lens mount... IMO it should be able to hold a 70-200 no problem. But in general, if a lens has a separate collar/tripod foot it's best to carry the weight from the lens foot.

I switch between two... an Op-Tech Utility Sling which I think is more secure and comfortable; and a Peak Design Slide which I think is a little more versatile due to easy/quick adjustments. I attach them to an arca swiss clamp similar to what John showed, and all of my lenses have arca swiss plates permanently attached (or integrated).

Last edited:
Thanks, do you have a picture of how it's attached to your lens? As looking at the link you've sent me, I can't see how it would attach to the lens mount.

I use an Optech as well, been using them in various forms for over 30 years, and still use the very first one I bought. Its a complete system with lots of options for cameras, tripods and binoculars. I currently use this model a lot at the moment https://optechusa.com/utility-sling-duo.html with camera and lens on one side and binoculars on the other.

Not sure if Optech sell them but you can add a screw in metal ring to the lens foot to attach the Optech loop, see here http://www.blackrapid.com/FastenR-Tripod-FR-T1 or some of the Arca swiss plates used to attach lenses to the tripod head, also have fittings that will take the Optech, or other, loops.

The clips on the Optech straps are a bit stiff, and I now, after it was suggested here, use Peak design links for the actual connections now, at least for some of them.
https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/straps/products/anchor-links

Peak design and Black Rapid (and probably others) make well respected straps and fittings, but I've been very happy with the Optech stuff. Seems indestructible and very comfortable.

I use a black rapid for my heavier lenses though often do also use a neoprene ordinary strap slung across my body. My black rapid one is curved for women and attaches to the tripod point.

If I'm using my ordinary strap, I'm often supporting the lens anyway as it's more comfortable like that.

Try Googling Optika Camera Harness and follow up from there. I bought one several years ago following recommendations. If I went out with my DSLR and 70-200 mm f2.8 (with or without 1.4X extender), I would have neck pain and back pain very quickly (I would have to stop in about 15 mins). So I tend to only take the long zoom if I know I will definitely use it (e.g. motor sports, tough mudder etc.) The harness is a full harness so spreads the weight much better. When taking photos, I unclip the camera and can use it freely but when waiting for action or walking round it is clipped in the harness. The clip in this case is the lens attached to the standard lens tripod collar so balance is excellent and no stress on the camera. I can now walk around for as much as 3-4 hours with this combination. You could also clip other accessories to the harness but I prefer to keep the weight to a minimum.

Dave

I use a Q-Strap with my 70-200 and 60D.

I haven't used a strap in years, I use messenger type bags and take the gear in and out when needed. I used to have a Black Rapid Sport strap, that was tough as you would ever need, I often had a D800 + 300mm F4 lens swinging from it and never felt it was under any stress. Does the 70-200 have a tripod collar? Attach to that and you'll have zero problems.

Black rapid sling here too, D500- 70-200 standard but I did have the 200-500 slung on it the other day for 12 hrs and no issues
70-200 I use the standard tripod mount of the body, 200-500 I use the tripod mount on the lens as it balances better.

Last edited:
I have a black rapid that screws into the base of either lens or camera depending on the gear im carrying i use as single or double slings and in double its like a backpack but without the bag

I got a peak design slide with 1dx mkii and 70-200 and used the setup for shooting ice hockey walking around the rink, just perfect for me, one attached to the side of body and another to the base of the body

I use a Joby Ultrafit with my D500 and 200-500 on it.
I find it easy to use and very quick to adjust.

I use a Black Rapid with my D500 & 200-500.Find it comfortable, but always have my hand gently cradling lens, just so it doesn’t “swing” to much.

Like wise always have the hand as a guide

Best £50 i spent on my gear for the black rapid
I use a Black Rapid with my D500 & 200-500.Find it comfortable, but always have my hand gently cradling lens, just so it doesn’t “swing” to much.

I had the swivel clip break on a cheaper strap but luckily caught the camera in time. I now use a "Think Tank" strap, off a bag that I don't use, attached to the tripod plate on the lens foot of a Canon 100-400mm/ 7D Mkii combo. The balance is perfect with the camera lying at arms length ready for action. I also keep a second tripod plate on the camera for when I change to a smaller lens. A messenger bag holds the lenses I'm not using together with batteries / filters etc. With binoculars around my neck also it can get a little uncomfortable in hot weather.

Sigma 150-600 on a Canon 7D2 on one side of a Black Rapid Dual, Canon 24-105 on a Canon 5D4 on the other side. The Sigma/7D2 hangs from the Sigma's foot and the 24-105/5D4 from the tripod mount on the 5D4.

I had the swivel clip break on a cheaper strap but luckily caught the camera in time. I now use a "Think Tank" strap, off a bag that I don't use, attached to the tripod plate on the lens foot of a Canon 100-400mm/ 7D Mkii combo. The balance is perfect with the camera lying at arms length ready for action. I also keep a second tripod plate on the camera for when I change to a smaller lens. A messenger bag holds the lenses I'm not using together with batteries / filters etc. With binoculars around my neck also it can get a little uncomfortable in hot weather.

Sounds like my setup!

Back