How do you carry your kit at the track?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Simple question really. How do you carry your kit at the circuit and what is in your bag?

Whenever I go to a track, I always think I have taken too much kit with me. At the moment, I take:

A Canon 70D
A Canon 60D
A Canon 15-85
A Tamron 70-300 (nice lens, but can produce blurry images at wide apertures)
A Tamron 150-600 (Just brilliant all round)
Carbon Fibre monopod
Plastic step
Spare batteries
GPS logger

I carry the above using a Lowepro belt with two lens pouches (that I sit the lenses on the bodies in) a leather dual camera strap and a Manfrotto NX messenger bag. I used to put it all in a lowpro AW 450 rucksack, but I find the messenger bag easier to access. I also have a cable clamp that I use to attach the strap to my belt.

Oh, and of course my butties for the lunch hour or for when a rubbish series is on track. To be fair, I have normally eaten lunch by about 10:00hrs. But I always have a flask as a brew is important especially if it is p***ing down.

I take two cameras, one with a medium telephoto zoom, one with a longer, one on a sling, one on a monopod, with a wide angle lens in my pocket and a flash. I leave the bag in the car. Batteries last pretty much all day. If its raining, a rain cover.

Edit: I'm working trackside so I need to get photos regardless of conditions / how I'm feeling.

Last edited:
I use one of those black rapid dual straps, so have a 70-200 on one body and my 300 prime on another body. I carry a 1.4x convertor in my pocket when I need a bit more reach. Like Andrew, batteries will last all day (1D bodies). If I need any different lenses, e.g. for pit/garage shots, then I'll just walk back to my car and get those. I also carry snacks and plenty of water in one of the many pockets in my photography vest, and sun cream. If the forecast is rain, I'll also take a fold up poncho and a chamois leather to drape over the top of the camera/lens I'm using to absorb the worst of the water.

As a happy punter these days, I use a ThinkTank Speed Racer bag. It can be worn as a belt pack, a shoulder bag or a combination of both which is how I tend to use it most. These days, I tend to carry the bare minimum of kit with me so I usually just have a single body and up to 2 or 3 lenses. Other gear stays in the car, which is usually pretty accessible at the UK circuits I visit most. The most I’ve put into the bag was a Canon 70-200 f4 L (hood reversed) attached to a 1D mk IV, a Canon 400mm f5.6 L (hood retracted) and a Canon 24-70 f4 L (hood reversed). There’s then plenty of space left for batteries, filters etc as well as external pouches for water bottles and the like. I really like the bag as the lid opens away from your body meaning you can very easily work out of it without ever putting it down, and lens changes are easily done.

Of course, one bag is never enough, and I also have a Vanguard Alta Sky 45D backpack if needed. I like that one as it can be highly customised internally, including a top access option meaning you never have to lie the bag down if it’s wet or muddy, and the base has a tarpaulin type covering that is pretty much fully waterproof.

Cheers,

Simon.

Back