How Do You Edit?

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
So, how do you guys edit your videos? By that, I don't mean what software do you use, but do you find you have a style? Do you edit the video first, then add music where required? Or do you edit to the music? Do you find you have a certain type of transition etc?

I've noticed on my last few that I generally cut to the beat. Sometimes from one scene/angle to the next, others (if it's a quick beat) I'll cut to pass the time quickly.

Here's a few I've done recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazYC_cqbeA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq51IcVoFEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9pIwz_Yqw

Good topic.
I am just starting out and looking to gain tips on best way to handle this.
For me, I struggle to find appropriate music to go with the video and then often wonder if YouTube will block it to mobile devices which majority people use these days.

Do you have any good music sources for your videos. Sounds like the first one is similar to what cases neistat would use

You have just reminded me that I need to,clean my car. Good job on the clean and the edit

Last edited:
I use SoundCloud, which is also where Casey Neistat get's his music from.

Do the polite thing and contact the artist first. I've had permission from about 4 or 5 artists on there saying it's ok for me to use any of their music.

Not a problem at all.... I've also used my friend's fellas music in the past on a couple of videos.

I started doing a video a week last summer, it's quite good because it pushes you into doing some different stuff. Although the downside is that you spend all the time videoing rather than enjoying what you're doing.
It's quite hard work, and to do it properly you have to be fairly dedicated and think all the time about different camera angles etc. I gave up after about six weeks. I can't imagine what it's like doing a ten minute video every day.

I use SoundCloud, which is also where Casey Neistat get's his music from.

Do the polite thing and contact the artist first. I've had permission from about 4 or 5 artists on there saying it's ok for me to use any of their music.

.....and can you monetise your videos as we'll?

I asked a US signed band to use one of their tracks and they said yes, but they also said they don't own the rights so don't monetise it else the record company will claim the ad revenue. They did say to contact them again in the new year to talk about other music they have that they do have control over - which I haven't done yet.

It's funny watching your videos but then knowing what a pain in the arse it is to set up the shots when you're doing it on your own.

Like, you're washing your car and it's edited to make it look like you're just cracking on with the job at hand BUT you're having to keep setting up the shots as you're moving round to give the edit continuity.

Same with the running shots, you set up the shot, run off in the opposite direction, run past the camera, go back to the camera stop recording and then go an set up the next shot. 5 seconds of screen time turns into 5 minute minimum set up.

It's hard doing a 'casey' and I've no idea how he gets the energy to do it!

I do really like some of your cuts though.

I find it interesting to see how people setup and behind the scenes of the videos. I think that helps me to see what's involved as said above, there is so much to it.

I find it interesting to see how people setup and behind the scenes of the videos. I think that helps me to see what's involved as said above, there is so much to it.

There's usually a load of footage of me running back and forth to the camera and it can really get in the way sometimes with the content you're trying to film.

.....and can you monetise your videos as we'll?

I asked a US signed band to use one of their tracks and they said yes, but they also said they don't own the rights so don't monetise it else the record company will claim the ad revenue. They did say to contact them again in the new year to talk about other music they have that they do have control over - which I haven't done yet.

Yes, they are ok with monitizing. Also, check YouTube's own creative studio section for tracks.

It's funny watching your videos but then knowing what a pain in the arse it is to set up the shots when you're doing it on your own.

Like, you're washing your car and it's edited to make it look like you're just cracking on with the job at hand BUT you're having to keep setting up the shots as you're moving round to give the edit continuity.

Same with the running shots, you set up the shot, run off in the opposite direction, run past the camera, go back to the camera stop recording and then go an set up the next shot. 5 seconds of screen time turns into 5 minute minimum set up.

It's hard doing a 'casey' and I've no idea how he gets the energy to do it!

I do really like some of your cuts though.

Tell me about it. I "liked" a Casey fan page on Facebook, and now everyone wants to do daily vlogging - not realising Casey had been filming for over 15 years before doing it daily. I think people also don't think about the fact he's walked into his office, switched on his camera, walked back out, and then repeat.

Yes, they are ok with monitizing. Also, check YouTube's own creative studio section for tracks.

I'd seen those and listened to a few and they're surprisingly OK.

Tell me about it. I "liked" a Casey fan page on Facebook, and now everyone wants to do daily vlogging - not realising Casey had been filming for over 15 years before doing it daily. I think people also don't think about the fact he's walked into his office, switched on his camera, walked back out, and then repeat.

I know. His early stuff isn't nowhere near his daily vlogs for production, content and style. After 15 years you understand how to use your gear, how to frame and set up the shot, edit, create great content and most of all you can plan it all in your head before you even get to it. You also know where the rules are and how to bend or break them successfully - which all comes with experience.

Yes, there's that, if he was after a slick production he'd edit it out, but it's all left in on purpose, to give the impression that hes an amateur.

It's left in because that's the style he's created which is just so hard to do convincingly. I wonder how much was created by accident and then he just thought, 'yup, looks cool I'll keep doing this'. It would blow my mind if I thought that it was ALL pre-planned and executed as such!

Yes, it does seem amateur. The first time I watched him cut before he's got the end of the sentence I thought, what a bozo, but then getting to understand him better I see it more like he's done with that idea and he's moved onto the next - it's quick peek inside his head more than anything!

I haven't watched much lately - maybe I'll catch up over the weekend.

I was just about to mention the cutting towards the end of a sentance. Again, was the first time accidental?

The best thing is, seeing kids these days trying to vlog and rather than naturally having their own style, they copy Casey's format, time lapse, cut mid sent.... (see what I did there)....

Oh, and regarding the time lapses, they're not "proper" timelapses, just sped up video so he can pick the camera up immediately after and start talking to it in a seamless manner (I watched some young kids video do the exact same this morning and justt hought it looked s***).

I was just about to mention the cutting towards the end of a sentance. Again, was the first time accidental?

The best thing is, seeing kids these days trying to vlog and rather than naturally having their own style, they copy Casey's format, time lapse, cut mid sent.... (see what I did there)....

Oh, and regarding the time lapses, they're not "proper" timelapses, just sped up video so he can pick the camera up immediately after and start talking to it in a seamless manner (I watched some young kids video do the exact same this morning and justt hought it looked s***).

He has set the bar high but his style is so recognisable that as soon as someone just uses one little bit you're like, 'Yep, that's Casey!'. In small doses I think that can be accepted, it's a nod to him in a way but there's been a few people I've seen that have ripped him off totally and I mean completely from the type of intros to cutting into drone footage and cameras falling over, and getting all close to their camera with their wide-angled len, even using his hand gestures. It wouldn't be so bad if they just acknowledged that they're ripping him off instead of trying to claim it as their own, but they don't.

I mentioned Casey to my 19 year old daughter, who's a full on youtube addict. She even wanted to go to some youtube convention a few years back. Anyway, she just shrugged her shoulders and said he seemed like a bit of a dick. I reeled back in my chair, astounded almost, and asked her what she was talking about - hadn't she seen the production value and great camera angles in his video and didn't she hear the music - she just looked totally unimpressed and simply said she didn't get it and she thought he was ugly................I'm still in shock.........about the not getting it part, not the ugly part!

I do like Casey, but I also see why the haters hate him.... The way he treats his equipment, his drone flying (in built up areas etc), but as he admits himself, cameras etc are just tools, and no longer wraps them in bubblewrap.

yes, he must kill a camera every 50-60 videos... That is just ridiculous IMO! I understand he doesn't want to baby them and that they are just tools, but my god! Filming in the rain probably doesn't help, and he certainly doesn't strike me as the kind to mess around putting on a waterproof cover for the camera.

No wonder the guys below his studio in the camera shop love him so much. I bet they sell more Canon camera's & lenses than any other camera shop in the entire NYC borough!

His Canon 5D Mk IV looks impressive but it's the same issue that I found when using a borrowed 5D Mk III - you have to have an external monitor which is a pain when filming away from your studio (office in my case!)

I just watched an older Casey vid and he says that his daily vlogs would take from 4 to 7 hours just to edit.

I honestly think he's talking crap there.... 7 hrs! Nah. Not even 4.....

He's clever enough, he'll just films what he knows will be in the edit, so very little clipping will be required IMO (maybe the odd take or removing the first/last few seconds of a clip.).. He may sit down for 4-7hrs with the intention of editing, but then gets distracted. Or, maybe he was also editing during the done whilst in the back of an uber or something (highly doubt as he would be recording).

Unless he's counting the export time too....

Seriously though, his vlogs became so structured - open with a timelapse, title overlay (templated), clip all of the days scenes together, end screen.

There wasn't/isn't much in terms of blurring sensitive info out, or censoring words etc....

You're probably right. Maybe he just said that the keep people off the scent and make out he was investing more time to make it appear harder.

Unless he records EVERYTING and has to scrub through 10 hours of shots? Or maybe he spends 4-7 hours on the vlog in total including the edit?

I'd say the latter..... Yeah, he probably knows what to record, but even he must have boring parts of the day. There's only so much boosted board riding you can show, so just 10 seconds here and there talking to the camera is all he needs.

What I'd like to know is, does he have a "script"? When I did my new year video (below). I wrote a basic script just so I knew what I had said. And all I was doing was moving from room to room. He can start a sentence in his office, and finish on Brooklyn bridge. So does he scribble down the last thing he said, or quickly play back the footage on his camera? Or maybe he just has a good memory.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEamL2IFU8s

When I edit my review videos, I have a rough idea of what 'scenes' I want (my upcoming Amarok one is a great example but won't be public for another 7 days) but generally just guess as I go. However, it shows. Some people like my random structuring, others hate it. When talking specs, I have it on an iPhone in front and usually just blurb and rabble on - however again my upcoming video is much more structured and should eliminate haters for a bit.

Here's an example of poor structure. :p

Back