How do you get the light & background like that?

Name
Wail
Edit My Images
No
I was very impressed by this shot, which was taken and posted by Mr THX ....

82.jpg

** Please note that this picture is the property of Mr THX **

Would love to know exactly what equipments, set-up, and settings were used.

I thought of asking here, in a thread, so that others - if interested - can learn how to get something like this.

A fantastic shot (y)...

As it happens, I've PMed him about this shot before I posted it here.

I asked him how he shot it, what was his set-up, setting and equipments. I also asked if he didn't mind me asking this in a thread, so that others, who wished to, could learn this .. it is a really wonderful shot.

He didn't object to the thread, which I thought was very nice of him, and hence the thread. I've since PMed him again, with a link to this thread. I hope he gets the chance to drop in ...

Of course, if you could nudge him, that would be superb (y) ... thank you again :)

It looks as though it is lit from both sides with more from above, and the background is either black or is far away from any background to get any light bouncing back.

Then again i could be wrong :shrug:

Ive done stuff like this before.

Softbox above the subject against a black background, then upped the "Black" slider slightly in CS3 afterwards :)

@Betty - those are some really nice shots! Really beautiful..

Thank you :)

They are actually posted in order of date, the red rose was one of the first I ever did, once I figured out the black slider ;)

I was going to say, I prefer the last two, but the first is still really nice..

Cant wait to get my hands on some nice flashes, finding good prices is difficult!

Nice trio there Betty. (y)

As for my image (and the selection I did at the time of shooting) I actually used natural light for once.

Light source coming in from the left (Large Kitchen window in this case) with a black 20x16 inch piece of mount card as my back drop, working on the kitchen worktop with a tripod to free up my hands.

I also used a lasolight reflector (held above the tulip) as I wanted to shine some of the available light down in to the middle of the flower to create a slight glowing colour effect :thinking:

Then in photoshop using levels, selected the black colour picker and click on the black card to make it jet black, bit of warming up of the main flower and bob's you're uncle.

Wow those photos really are amazing! Really makes me want to start taking some like that!

What lenses do you guys use for shots like that?

Matt

Oh I always use natural light whenever I can, but what with the dark nights lately, its never possible when I get home from work :(

I probably used my bog standard kit lens for all my flower shots (18-55mm), as it lets me get closer to the flowers than my 50mm :)

And thanks Mr THX :)

Mine was taken with a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro Lens, a lens I do like to use and it doesn't have to be used JUST for Macro work. It is a good 100mm 2.8 lens in its own right.

Betty / Mr HTX,

Thank you both, for sharing your skills & knowledge and for allowing us to see these great shots (y)

Fantastic shots.

Am glad I asked this in a thread :)

Oh yes, I certain will start to look into this.

I'm totally impressed by these ... wonderful shots, and again, thank you for sharing.

Only one thing left to do...

Go try it (y)

Yep, I agree... now to find a florist that's still open at 7pm on a Tuesday night :shake:

Note to self - project for the weekend.!

If you plan ahead you can get a before and after shot. :)
Natural light, A3 Black card background.

Allium
allium-1.jpg

dryallium.jpg

Ive done stuff like this before.

Softbox above the subject against a black background, then upped the "Black" slider slightly in CS3 afterwards :)

Similar but slightly different can be done without any softboxes or special lighting. This was done in the dark (normal room in the evening with lights off) - camera on tripod with 20 sec. exposure, flower highlighted with maglite for a few seconds at a time from different locations.

p1064201904-5.jpg

dalex_257,

Now that's (a) a very nice shot :) , and (b) a very creative way to get this effect (y)

Thank you for sharing that.

dalex_257,

Now that's (a) a very nice shot :) , and (b) a very creative way to get this effect (y)

Thank you for sharing that.

Thanks. The drawback of this approach is that it won't give you that soft look like the ones above with softbox, but then again this is much simpler setup. I believe some call it painting with light ;)

If you want to do it in the field just set a high F stop and blast with the flash.

If you want to do it in the field just set a high F stop and blast with the flash.

Now there's another technique worth looking into (y). Thanks :)

Back