how do you know when to use a flashgun....

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
when it isent Night time nor indoors???

can they be used in day shots depending on weather and so on? just iv had mine for a few weeks and havent really used it, was hoping to use it on a tripod wireless for some night time shots but havent got round to that yet.

Oh yes they can be used in daytime all right! It's a favoured technique of wedding photographers to provide fill flash. Do a quick search for that term and you'll find loads.

You should use it whenever there is a large difference between the light on the subject and the background.

Example: If you are shooting outdoors and the light is not on the subject's face, chances are that the faces will be darker or shadowed. A flash will light the subject so you don't lose details.

Even if you can see the subject's face clearly, if the background illumination is much brighter (cloudy days!) your picture could easily come out with the sky blown. Metering for the background and using the flash to compensate for the foreground will give you a much nicer picture.

You should use it whenever there is a large difference between the light on the subject and the background.

Example: If you are shooting outdoors and the light is not on the subject's face, chances are that the faces will be darker or shadowed. A flash will light the subject so you don't lose details.

Even if you can see the subject's face clearly, if the background illumination is much brighter (cloudy days!) your picture could easily come out with the sky blown. Metering for the background and using the flash to compensate for the foreground will give you a much nicer picture.

but surely the built in flash could handle things like that?

but surely the built in flash could handle things like that?

No.

Well... I suppose it might help, but the built-in flash is crud. You really want to use a better flash.

See, the more you move the flash away from the lens axis, the better off you are. It prevents red-eye, it gives you a more natural look and it gives you a lot more options. You can add diffusers, bounce the light to avoid harsh highlights and shadows, even focus the light on a specific area. You can't do any of the that with the on-camera flash.

For example: If you are taking a picture of a man who is standing with the light coming from his left and behind him (like it is looking over his shoulder) the right side of his face is going to be in deep shadow.

Using the on-board flash might bring out that shadow, but it will also blow out any highlights on the left side of his face.

You can use the on-board flash to compensate by focusing on the man and then, while holding the shutter button down half way, shifting your aim to the right, but that only works if there is nothing on that side that will distract from the subject and only if he is looking that direction to begin with. Even so, the on-board flash has a wide arc and you will have to shift far right to correctly expose the darker parts of the picture.

An aftermarket 'flashgun' (as you Brits call it) will give you more options. You can focus an aftermarket flash on his right side, or bounce it off an object to his right, and it will bring up the detail on that side without overwhelming the natural light on his left. You can use a diffuser to add light to the foreground that will bring up the ambient light on the shadowed side. The ETTL function on a good flash will allow the camera to correctly gauge the strength of the flash more accurately than the puny on-camera light.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sorry, I am plugging this again but www.strobist.com is one of the best sites I have found for flash advice. You really should check it out.

And xsjado-man, try and get out there and play with the flash until yo know it inside out. Then, when you really do need it you know how to work it properly.

You can find a situation to use flash in the brightest of conditions, don't think of it as another light source, think of it as tool to reduce the contrast in an image, or a very fast shutter speed to freeze action, or a a creative tool to show motion in a still frame (slow shutter speed, 2nd action sync). The possibilities really are endless. Have fun dude

Yup Agree with the above. The Strobist is a great read. I recently used my flashgun for fill in on outdoor portraits and I'm a convert - completely different, well balenced shots.

You don't just have to use it for portrait shots.

this is what i took on saturday, not very good minds, but you can see the difference. Even though i've metered the shot differently, you can still see the effect of using the flashgun.

without fill flash

IMG_1078.jpg

with a small amount of fill flash

IMG_1079.jpg

Really nice example, Ant!

Back