How do you manage the weight of a 70-200 2.8 is II?

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve had my heart set on this lens and saved for years. Unfortunately I have a connective tissue disease and since testing the lens a few years ago it now feels like it weighs a tonne! I’ve considered a monopod but I have a 2 year old and that is not always practical. I was thinking a black rapid/ peak design strap to help carrying as no way I can carry round my neck. Any ideas? I checked the tamron weighs the same and the sigma even more. since earlier also seen peak design straps which seem very versatile.

Last edited:
F4 IS might be better for you, belter of a lens, do you really need f2.8?

Balance it with a 24-70 on the other shoulder :)

I know, not practical for you - it's what I do, and yes, they weigh a ton.
I suspect you may have to change format to M4/3. There are some cracking systems out there.

Have you considered changing to the micro 4/3 system?

You'll be saving a lot of weight with not a lot of image degradation in good light.

Maybe something to think about / look into?

Unfortunately I have invested a lot for me over the past 8 years and would loose to much money changing systems now.

F4 IS might be better for you, belter of a lens, do you really need f2.8?

My son is a gymnast and it is for shooting in low light gyms with no flash allowed so need F2.8, I know the F4 is lighter.

The EF 70-300 is an awful lot smaller, admittedly you loose a few stops at the long end but it's perfectly capable.

If monopod and/or neck strap isn't an option:-

1. Sling strap or waist holster.
2. consider the f4 version unless you absolutely need f2.8
3. change systems entirely.

Which waist strap would you suggest?

Balance it with a 24-70 on the other shoulder :)

I know, not practical for you - it's what I do, and yes, they weigh a ton.
I suspect you may have to change format to M4/3. There are some cracking systems out there.

It would cost so much for me to change systems right now as I would loose so much money. I love shooting dSLR its just my joints don't!

The EF 70-300 is an awful lot smaller, admittedly you loose a few stops at the long end but it's perfectly capable.

Thank you, I have the tamron 70-300 VC and it just isn't fast enough in the sports halls, im already shooting cropped sensor and cant afford to move to full frame as most of my lenses are ef-s.

black rapid vs peak design straps? is there a strap that allows you to screw a monopod as well? could the monopod screw in the tripod plate on the lens?

Last edited:
My son is a gymnast and it is for shooting in low light gyms with no flash allowed so need F2.8, I know the F4 is lighter.
Must be a zoom? Must have IS?

I was thinking of this, the black rapid curve strap with the shoulder support looks good for carrying, not sure what can help the holding?
I think only a monopod is going to help with supporting the weight whilst shooting or maybe a clamp or beanbag if you are at a venue with rails or seat backs, etc.

The thing I like about the Joby strap I linked is that it is easily adjustable so when you are moving around you can tighten it up to stop it swinging around and when you want to shoot it is easy to extend.

Just a thought, there are some walking poles that have camera mounts, my guess is that they are not as rigid as a monopod but it may help with the weight.

Thank you im thinking the peak design slide strap looks easily adjustable and may be better as I can swap shoulders
I think only a monopod is going to help with supporting the weight whilst shooting or maybe a clamp or beanbag if you are at a venue with rails or seat backs, etc.

The thing I like about the Joby strap I linked is that it is easily adjustable so when you are moving around you can tighten it up to stop it swinging around and when you want to shoot it is easy to extend.

Just a thought, there are some walking poles that have camera mounts, my guess is that they are not as rigid as a monopod but it may help with the weight.

Must be a zoom? Must have IS?

Definitely a zoom for versatility, I never know how close I can get. With My joint problems I need IS for stability.

I considered this but I have a 100mm 2.8 IS and I would use this, but it isn't versatile enough. I'd love to have the zoom as a walk around just not sure about weight.

How about a quick release plate fitted to the camera/monopod?
Your only talking about 25g extra on the camera to make mounting quicker and easier.

How about a quick release plate fitted to the camera/monopod?
Your only talking about 25g extra on the camera to make mounting quicker and easier.

Thank you, I currently leave my QR plate attached to my camera body all the time. I could attach to the tripod mount on the lens if im using a peak design strap. The only thing is I was looking at an carbon fibre inexpensive monopod in LCE and the assistant screwed it in directly, I looked at the MM290C4. My current QR plate fits my 488RC2 ball head which is very heavy.

Last edited:
So assuming you are using f2.8 aperture what shutter speed and iso settings will you be using. If you use a monopod will you still need IS, does the 70-200 2.8 IS permit use of IS when on a pod?
If no pod then can you use a fast shutter speed to negate using IS, you may rack up the iso so would a more iso tolerant body be possible.
Tbh I think with your tissue issues a rethink may be required and a move to a lighter setup is the way forward by means of trade in etc.

Last edited:
Thank you, I currently leave my QR plate attached to my camera body all the time. I could attach to the tripod mount on the lens if im using a peak design strap. The only thing is I was looking at an carbon fibre inexpensive monopod in LCE and the assistant screwed it in directly, I looked at the MM290C4. My current QR plate fits my 488RC2 ball head which is very heavy.
You should be able to fit a QR head directly to the monopod, no need for a ball head, and then slide in the QR plate.
Loads of options on Ebay.

So assuming you are using f2.8 aperture what shutter speed and iso settings will you be using. If you use a monopod will you still need IS, does the 70-200 2.8 IS permit use of IS when on a pod?
If no pod then can you use a fast shutter speed to negate using IS, you may rack up the iso do would a more iso tolerant body be possible.
Tbh I think with your tissue issues a rethink may be required and a move to a lighter setup is the way forward by means of trade in etc.

I’m assuming if using the monopod I would turn iIS off the same as when using a tripod. The monopod is to help me with the weight for long periods not as an alternative to IS.

If money was no object I would consider changing systems but my lenses I’ve bought over the years are worth more to me than monetary value. I would not get much for them now unfortunately.

Maybe rent a 2.8 non IS and see how much use you would get out of the IS and if the lower weight of the non IS is more usefull

Maybe rent a 2.8 non IS and see how much use you would get out of the IS and if the lower weight of the non IS is more usefull

What is the weight of the non is?

About 6/7 Oz less, the 70-200 f4 IS is half the weight of the 2.8 equivalent. Can you really not shoot at f4? The f4 is sharp wide open, some say sharper than the 2.8 at f4

I don’t know what soft tissue disorder you have but I suffer from fibromyalgia and despite being a bit of a giant I have found that the weight of gear gets tiring and can cause pain for days after. As a result I have downsized the majority of my heavy stuff for m4/3, but I’m loathed to let my 70-200mm f2.8 go.

Ive tried just about every strap going and for me the best is the peak design slide. However, if you’re walking a lot it still feels heavy and causes muscle soreness. If shooting in one spot and shooting something with predictable movement a monopod definitely helps, however if you need to move the camera all over the place I personally find monopods a hinderance.

When you have a medical condition it’s a case of how much you’re willing to put up with. I don’t shoot with the 70-200mm f2.8 too much so am willing to put up with the soreness from using it, only you know if you can do the same (y)

In regard to a smaller head on a monopod.

I now have the Sirui L10...... It adds modest weight to the monopod but gives a ready method of QR connection with an Arca Swiss plate.

The head can be locked in any position to suit your method/style of using a monopod, plus if left slightly 'free' allows for greater mobility of handling especially when combined with the rotation given by the lens collar.

This is the head I am referring to:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIRUI-L-10-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B006JZ7QZC

PS I note you are in Farnham, there is Speedgraphic at Oakhanger nr Borden Hants. I have in the past collected orders from them
https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/tilt_tops__accessories/sirui_l10_monopod_tilt_head/25541_p.html

Last edited:
You have been advised to change to Olympus ,,so think this over anything you have now has a trade in value . So that Will help with costs .
I had to downsize to Olympus earlier this year due to heart failure and old age . First thing is there 2x crop so you automatically get more reach ,the sensors are developed to cope with this and give excellent results right up to 6400 iso. A Olympus omd1-.mkii with updated firmware is ultra fast at up to 15fps ..there are plenty of 40-150 f2.8 zooms around used that will give you 80-300mm reach at f2.8 ... next the weight of camera and lens combined is around 1.5kg making handholding in most circumstances plausible and you have 5 way in body image stabiliser to help as well ,no straps, no tripods,no monopods needed either .. if you go for other lenses in the range there even lighter in weight . Plenty of sample images on here from them think it over it really does make sense

I've just sold a fuji 100-400 because of the weight

I changed from DSLR to Fuji XT3 then bought a 100-400 , then a battery grip as it just didn't feel right then looked at it and I was back where i'd started

You have been advised to change to Olympus ,,so think this over anything you have now has a trade in value . So that Will help with costs .
I had to downsize to Olympus earlier this year due to heart failure and old age . First thing is there 2x crop so you automatically get more reach ,the sensors are developed to cope with this and give excellent results right up to 6400 iso. A Olympus omd1-.mkii with updated firmware is ultra fast at up to 15fps ..there are plenty of 40-150 f2.8 zooms around used that will give you 80-300mm reach at f2.8 ... next the weight of camera and lens combined is around 1.5kg making handholding in most circumstances plausible and you have 5 way in body image stabiliser to help as well ,no straps, no tripods,no monopods needed either .. if you go for other lenses in the range there even lighter in weight . Plenty of sample images on here from them think it over it really does make sense
Whilst Olympus does allow shots up to high ISO’s such as 6400, like with all cameras it depends on the quality of light. From my experience artificial light shows up weaknesses in high ISO handling so the Olly can suffer. That being said I don’t know what camera the OP has and ISO handling might not be much different.

Whilst I rate my Olly 40-150mm f2.8 I still prefer the rendering and overall look from my 70-200mm f2.8, it has much better subject isolation.

Last edited:
I've just sold a fuji 100-400 because of the weight

I changed from DSLR to Fuji XT3 then bought a 100-400 , then a battery grip as it just didn't feel right then looked at it and I was back where i'd started
Very valid comment. I bought a Fuji to lose body/camera weight combo, hence xc lenses and I am resisting (just) the lure of either an M50 to add to my Canon L lenses or xf Fuji lenses, so easy to get drawn in.

Whilst Olympus does allow shots up to high ISO’s such as 6400, like with all cameras it depends on the quality of light. From my experience artificial light shows up weaknesses in high ISO handling so the Olly can suffer. That being said I don’t know what camera the OP has and ISO handling might not be much different.

Whilst I rate my Olly 40-150mm f2.8 I still prefer the rendering and overall look from my 70-200mm f2.8, it has much better subject isolation.
Is that because of the sensor factor giving you the dof effect of a "slower" lens?

I’ve had my heart set on this lens and saved for years. Unfortunately I have a connective tissue disease and since testing the lens a few years ago it now feels like it weighs a tonne! I’ve considered a monopod but I have a 2 year old and that is not always practical. I was thinking a black rapid :ROFLMAO: strap to help carrying as no way I can carry round my neck. Any ideas? I checked the tamron weighs the same and the sigma even more. since earlier also seen peak design straps which seem very versatile.
I've not read all the replies, but back in the day in the military out "belt kit" often weighted upwards of 25 pounds, but with the shoulder straps the weight wasnt really a big problem.
It should be easy enough to either buy a belt with braces/suspenders or modify an ex military system (we used to use 58 pattern) but that was heavy compared to modern materials, I cant see even a fairly heavy lens being as issue hanging from that sort of kit.
Just my 2p worth.

I don’t know what soft tissue disorder you have but I suffer from fibromyalgia and despite being a bit of a giant I have found that the weight of gear gets tiring and can cause pain for days after. As a result I have downsized the majority of my heavy stuff for m4/3, but I’m loathed to let my 70-200mm f2.8 go.

Ive tried just about every strap going and for me the best is the peak design slide. However, if you’re walking a lot it still feels heavy and causes muscle soreness. If shooting in one spot and shooting something with predictable movement a monopod definitely helps, however if you need to move the camera all over the place I personally find monopods a hinderance.

When you have a medical condition it’s a case of how much you’re willing to put up with. I don’t shoot with the 70-200mm f2.8 too much so am willing to put up with the soreness from using it, only you know if you can do the same (y)

Thank you very much for your reply, I totally understand. I also have fibromyalgia along with my CTD it is rubbish.

A monopod for me isn’t ideal with a 2 year old, I usually take my equipment on family outings beach/parks etc.

I will try the lens with the peak design strap. I may need to go for the F4.0 version which is half the weight or the older much lighter sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM OS.

In regard to a smaller head on a monopod.

I now have the Sirui L10...... It adds modest weight to the monopod but gives a ready method of QR connection with an Arca Swiss plate.

The head can be locked in any position to suit your method/style of using a monopod, plus if left slightly 'free' allows for greater mobility of handling especially when combined with the rotation given by the lens collar.

This is the head I am referring to:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIRUI-L-10-Quick-Release-Plate/dp/B006JZ7QZC

PS I note you are in Farnham, there is Speedgraphic at Oakhanger nr Borden Hants. I have in the past collected orders from them
https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/tilt_tops__accessories/sirui_l10_monopod_tilt_head/25541_p.html

Thank you I had no idea there was a speedgraphic in Bordon. I will seriously consider this.

Back