How do you organise/process your shots after a shoot?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
I ask this as not a naturally organised person but have realised that a little thought and knowledge [of elements, mine came without a book!] could save a shed load of time later!

I tend not to delete anything off camera but load it all into E5 and try and sort out in a fairly indisciplined way! I would be really interested in how others set about it all!

Cheers,

Duncan

There are a number of tools - Photo Mechanic, Bridge etc that will allow you to look through and set priorities. In a spate of confusion I did buy Photo Mechanic and found it excellent.

I suspect that setting your workflow is a sign of a sick mind. Confusion reigns!

Chris

Download from camera to computer puts my RAW images in a folder with the date as the folder name.

There they stay until edited, saved as jpeg images, uploaded to my photobucket account and are then transferred out of the date folder into a subject specific folder. From thence, every month or so I move them from my laptop onto and external hard drive. Obviously, binning can take place at any stage.

I put the film in a container and slosh some chemicals around in it! (well, you did ask).

Steve.

I download from card to named and dated folder, (which are stored in monthly and yearly folders like Chaz) then that folder is backed up to external drives before formatting the card.

Copy them off into "preproduction", then process the raw files into the folder "postproduction"- which are then sorted depending on subject/date/event :)

Straight into Lightroom with metadata added on the way in. Lightroom puts them into folders by date.

My images will be downloaded straight into Aperture or iPhotos, depending on whether I want to have them on desktop or laptop, under the appropriate named gear folder... iPhone, D-Lux 4, D200 and so on, with Aperture allocating a download date to them... ;)

The most I will do then is use Aperture's 'Create New Smart Album' feature to make a sub-folder for them, either by Download Date or Subject, or any other lazy way of tagging a sub-folder, depending on what the topic/s has/have been... :cautious: ... and some of the worst of the bad stuff might even be deleted at this stage... :shrug:

The rare few that are then destined for further processing are automatically grouped in stacks, alongside the originals, in the Aperture folders and, when necessary, will also be Exported and sized etc., on the way out to my Pictures folder and sub-folders before going on to their final destination - TP, E-mails or PhotoBox or wherever... :D ... thimpulth...

Now, after all that thinking I'm totally exhausted and even more confused than ever... :wacky:

08.gif

I created my own due to the necessity of work flow a section of folders i.e Birds,Wildlife,Landscape,Weddings,Patterns & Abstract and so on when you click the folder it opens a sub folder i.e Birds opens and you would then see sea birds And landbased Birds click which ever and that would open another set of folders on species of bird and then that would be broken down again into flying,feeding,young and other varaitions on the theme bit anal but it saves me so much time when im with a client looking for specific types of shots.
Regards
Lost

After several years of digital photography, a system has emerged which involves starting with a download from the minidisc, etc into DxO (which corrects for camera/lens specific problems) to produce an uncompressed tiff. These are 'foldered' by date and location, to be further treated when time allows in Aperture, from which they are archived. The originals and DxO output are burned to DVD. Those worthy of keeping for further use after Aperture are also burned to DVD. Some get more focussed processing in Aperture or Lightzone; they are archived separately as special. Although I have Lightroom, I don't like its archiving; things seem to lose themselves.

1. RAW uploaded to automatically software generated dated folder in "Originals" folder on my photography drive.

2. I trawl through these in DPP, deleting the obviously crap ones and saving the ones I want to process as 16bit Tiff files to a separate named folder in a "16 bit processed" folder on my photography drive. Events get their own name and date, whilst I have "Wildlife", "Misc" and other folders to cover odd shots I take of stuff.

3. The 16bit Tiff files are edited and batch processed to reduced compatibility 16bit PSD files in the interest of HDD space.

4. The PSD files are then batched to 8bit Jpg files and saved under the same folder name as the 16 bit images, but in a separate 8 bit folder.

So ultimately I have three sets of folders; those with RAW images named / sorted purely by date, then both 16 and 8 bit edited images sorted by name and date.

Hope this helps :p

How do you organise/process your shots after a shoot?

Badly...

I use EOS utility to download from the camera to a "downloads" directory, subdirectories are a reflection of the date the images were taken.

Open in lightroom, and exported images go into catagories. I'ts a mess at the minute, trying to learn by doing and mostly failing.

I just copy all the files off the camera into a folder named something like this:

2009 11 05 - Bob Test

I then import them into lightroom, chose whichever images I want to process and they go into a folder (in the above folder) called Exported, they're retouched and then they go into a folder called Final.

After that shoot is completely done and dusted, i'll remove the folder from lightroom but keep all of the images stored.

Next thing I need to do now is back up all of my images!

Badly...

I use EOS utility to download from the camera to a "downloads" directory, subdirectories are a reflection of the date the images were taken.

Open in lightroom, and exported images go into catagories. I'ts a mess at the minute, trying to learn by doing and mostly failing.

If you've got Lightroom you are most of the way there, you can do the import straight from the camera/card from the import dialogue and as Lightroom stores your images, you only really need to export when you want to use an image.

Lightroom is more than just an editing tool.

Bloody hell, there are sooooo many organised people out there! Part of my problem is not fully understanding windows, file, folders, elements 5, etc etc. However I am getting there! One thing I find really frustrating and irritating is finding folders in windows, I am sure they disappear and reappear somewhere else!
Thanks for the motivation to get sorted!

Dunc

Straight into Lightroom with metadata added on the way in. Lightroom puts them into folders by date.

this * about 3 different folders for different areas of work, at least keeping the sets seperate if lightroom ever has a truly massive fail.

export folders in each that I export images from lr into a subfolder in, names yymmdd<event>

other than that, lightroom tagging and metadata manages it all :)

Stick the card into my laptop, Ligtroom opens up. Add metadata and name a folder via the Lightroom interface to store the photos (I also arrange my folders by Year -> Month -> Date/Title); delete any wronguns, then sort the rest out by adding ratings/flags. Once they're all edited I export them to a new sub-folder within the original folder called Edits and upload to Flickr/my website/wherever.

Raw files uploaded via Lightroom to reverse dated (eg 20091106 for today) and subject titled folders within genre folders (People, animals etc...). Unwanted files are deleted at this point and the remaining ones are processed if necessary. I used to convert all to jpegs and store in a subfolder but, unless it's a client shoot, I don't bother anymore as it takes up unnecessary space I just convert to jpeg and to final sharpen as I need to.

As if workflow isn't already complicated enough, apparently, and according to another current thread, we should be converting all our raw files to DNGs.

Lord help us, and grant me a bigger hard drive.

Biger hard drive not needed, DNGs are smaller files, when I converted my library a few years back I saved about 20GB.

Back