how do you workflow

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I think that is what they call it - 'workflow', in that what processes do you use to get your images from your camera(memory card) to your permanent hard disk.

I have started shooting raw, and this is a bit different than before. I used to just copy the jpg images from the card into a folder on the hard drive, describing what they were. Now I need to get the raw files, copy them to a seperate hard drive location then process them using lightroom/canon utility to another final location. Then there is the question about what to do about edits etc.

As I have said I am still pretty new to this, and would like to start off properly rather than get 3 years and 30K images down the line and have to start changing the workflow....

I have a dedicated partition for Photos on my laptop, onto which RAW files are imported, broken down by Camera Body/Year/Month/Date/Session (if required). These are then tagged and sifted in Lightroom, the unusables deleted, and then those worthy are exported as 16-bit TIFF's to a 'For Processing' subfolder below where the respective RAW's are. Further subfolders are then added for 'Processed', 'Print' and 'Web', and sometimes 'Gallery' if they're of a particular event for distribution to others.

The entire Photo partition is then backed-up after each shoot to an external hard disk, and then weekly to a separate networked hard disk, and to a desktop PC, using Microsoft Synctoy. The external hard disk is kept in a fire safe.

I think it depends a lot on what you do, i.e. pro or amateur, go all out for one shot or a whole bunch such as a wedding.
These variables will dictate whether or not you batch convert your raw files to jpeg for proofs or just select a couple.
Personally I store my raw files in the same way as I would jpegs, then edit shots if I feel they are worth editing, I store the edits in a sub folder, either as a .psd if there's a load of layers or just the low res jpeg if it wasn't too involved to make.

Have a search on the forum, there have been plenty of threads, with lots of useful answers.

Back