How does your garden grow? ( open thread)

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
As the day's are getting longer and warmer, some of us are turning our attention to seeds and seedlings.

I read somewhere that if you put a slice of tomato on bedding compost ( I used sphagnum moss) it will sprout.
Being rather skeptical and having nothing better to do, at the time, I gave it a try, about a week ago.
I used a small plant pot and covered with cling film
I now have 6 seedlings and more just starting to sprout.

Having hardened off sweet pea seeds that I harvested from last years plants, in the fridge for a few weeks,
and then put into an un heated propagate on the window sill, they are only a couple of inches high so far, and a bit spindly,
but they are trying.

Sunflower seeds, given the same treatment are growing like Triffids.

Funnily enough I’ve also got tomato and sweetpeas seeds coming along, also got some delphinium and aqualegia plants that I grew from seed but were too late to plant last year, so they’ve been overwintering in the greenhouse.

We’ve got big plans to do the back garden this year. I’ve done a garden design course at a local college, got lots of ideas, bought some of the hard landscaping bits. Of course it has peed it down solidly so far, so I can’t actually do much. :rolleyes:

The mild weather has my garden going a bit crazy for such an early point of the year.
Yesterday I cut the grass for the first time as it was already 6" long, and re-seeded some bald patches, most of the bedding plants are already flowering, I have a Mediterranean fruit tree that has been shooting all through winter and already covered in lots of new growth and blue tits started building their nest ~4 weeks ago.

Starting to wonder if I have been in a coma and woken up half way through April.

Used to grow toms from salads on holiday but don't bother these days - we're away when the glut arrives and when they need the most attention(and, being of Greek origin, they don't like it outside here!) Sometimes do chillies but not this year.

Of course it has peed it down solidly so far, so I can’t actually do much. :rolleyes:
I'm in the same boat as it were loads to do outside although it does look like the weather will be improving.

Yesterday I cut the grass for the first time as it was already 6" long,
Mine desperately needs cutting too.
But its far too wet at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Mrs Nod enjoys cutting the grass - and I hate doing it! Still far too wet but it does need doing. A week of no rain might dry it up enough.

Mrs Nod enjoys cutting the grass - and I hate doing it! Still far too wet but it does need doing. A week of no rain might dry it up enough.
double day time figure and no rain predicted here for the next 10 days, I might be in with a chance.

Too cold and wet up north at the moment for much gardening, and it costs a bomb to heat the glasshouse early in the year. I will start some cauli & sprouts in a couple of weeks and then sow some leeks a week or two after that in the glasshouse. Then star in mid April with my summer bedding.

Back