How easy is it to replace an SSD?

I've had CC Cleaner for years and only update from the official site.

I'll have a look for WinDirStat and see what it does.

Thank you.

SSD is a Samsung 840EVO SCSI. Is that good,bad or indifferent.
Been having another play this morning, but cannot find what is taking up nearly30GB of space. Whatever it is is well hidden.
Can't be my pictures folders - they are showing as nearly 1TB on the HDD.
Some obscure links maybe but I can't find anything of the requisite size anywhere.

Try WinDirStat or Space Sniffer. It gives you visuals on the space being used up in the hard drive. It might help you to see. I think it also looks at the hidden files on the drive which I’m not sure if you’ve checked? You need to change that option in the properties of the folder if you wanted to do that.

Also a better program than CC Cleaner IMO for cleaning files up is Glarys Utilities. :)

Thanks for your help.
Just run WinDirStat. Apart from Windows the only things of anysize are Hiberfile at 12GB, Pagefile at 4GB and myself as a user at 14GB.
Someone mentioned hiberfile might be installed, up above^^^ and I tried to remove it but couldn't find it. That would help if I knew where to look.
I've had a look in myself under users and there is little in there other than empty files or low value links, although there is a link to the HDD it doens't give any value that corresponds to anything else.

Googling has brought this up.
Think my limited knowledge will get me there.
Is it really as easy as this to remove the hibernate and associated file?
Anything I should be wary of, bearing in mind I iknow diddly squat about the innards of my PC?
Capture.JPG

That’s the command yeah. But it might come back after you reboot the PC so would have to take steps to delete it. Do you use hibernate? If it’s removed or disabled the PC can’t hibernate and you’ll have to enable it again.

I’m a fan of helping out with PC stuff but it’s best you learn from research as it will help with the future and help you to fully understand what you’re trying to achieve and anything that can happen. If you just want the answer then if you don’t use hibernate and want some space then switch it off and remove the file with the steps in the links below and also take the steps to stop the file returning by removing the process that returns it.

Here’s the Microsoft steps to stop hibernate:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...ble-hibernation-on-a-computer-that-is-running

Also here’s info on the question of the file coming back:

https://superuser.com/questions/347927/how-to-really-turn-off-hibernation-in-windows-7

Thanks for your help.
No I don't use hibernate at all. I'm quite happy to have it removed.
I'll have a play with your links.

Wow. Success I think.
I went to the command prompt (there's a first time for everything) and followed the istructions. Bingo! Hibernate has gone. Just done a reboot to make sure it doesn't re-appear and it's still gone.
Free spcae on SSD has now rocketed to 35GB, which will do for now.
You've all been a great help. I'm lost in such matters, and I thank you all for your assistance and patience.

Last edited:
Wow. Success I think.
I went to the command prompt (there's a first time for everything) and followed the istructions. Bingo! Hibernate has gone. Just done a reboot to make sure it doesn't re-appear and it's still gone.
Free spcae on SSD has now rocketed to 35GB, which will do for now.
You've all been a great help. I'm lost in such matters, and I thank you all for your assistance and patience.
Glad you got to the bottom of this!

Glad you got to the bottom of this!
Yes, I've been to places that I didn't know existed!
35% free space should be more than enough.

What's the weather like out your way?
I was planning on coming over till Storm Brian appeared.

If you don't have all the discs for a complete clean re-install of Windows you need to create a repair disc and also create an image disc as a backup.

With that you can then re-install Windows on the same machine but to a different HDD.

Simply got into "Backup & Restore" in the Control Panel and follow the instructions.

There is also a FREE program called "Double Driver":

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Double-Driver.shtml

which allows you to copy almost ALL the drivers on your machine.

I've used it on several PCs and it works great - I just select ALL at the select tab and burn the drivers on to a CD.

The only problem I have sometimes had with it was creating an executable file so I just use the default.

What's the weather like out your way?
I was planning on coming over till Storm Brian appeared.
Dry and breezy at the moment. Supposed to rain later on. The wind is nothing to speak of. But it's quite dull and grey.

PS sorry for the late reply but I had to bath the dog as she's rolled in "something".

Last edited:
glad you got it sorted, hopefully that'll save you a bit of cash for a while :D

SSD is a Samsung 840EVO SCSI. Is that good,bad or indifferent.

just going back to this for a sec, samsung imo are some of the best ssd in the game. got an 850 pro and an 830 in my system and they've been excellent. if you want to check that AHCI and TRIM are enabled it should show in the samsung disk magician software.

Dry and breezy at the moment. Supposed to rain later on. The wind is nothing to speak of. But it's quite dull and grey.

PS sorry for the late reply but I had to bath the dog as she's rolled in "something".

Think I'm probably best sat here sorting this out. There's always tomorrow.

just going back to this for a sec, samsung imo are some of the best ssd in the game. got an 850 pro and an 830 in my system and they've been excellent. if you want to check that AHCI and TRIM are enabled it should show in the samsung disk magician software.

Thank you. You are a mine of inormation. Ill have a look at that.

You’ll just have to do what I did then. Go into program files on the SSD and then just right-click on each folder and see the folder sizes to see where the files are stored. Also try this on all other folder levels like ‘Documents’ etc. Got iTunes on there? That’s the biggest one for me.
Have you not heard of Treesize?

Back