How heavy is kit bag

Edit My Images
Yes
As the title, how heavy is you kit bag when you go out on a shoot?

I've find mine getting a bit on the heavier side now with the new 40d adding that little bit extra. I have a Tamrac 5 expedition backpack which weighs in at 2kg on its own, and with the gear (not incl' tripod/monopod) the lot weighs in at 6kg.

Maybe I'm the original 7 stone weakling but I'm now considering a second bag (lighter one) and just taking with me what I think I will need on the day...I don't shoot for a living, not decided which bag yet tho'.

Do you guys plan your day taking just the bare essentials or do you take the lot, lock stock and barrel?

mines 6.2 kg without the tripod.

thats ALL my kit in a lowepro minitrekker AW.

i also have a small bag for just the camera, but it doesnt fit in there with the battery grip, so maybe useless?

and i have on order a lowepro nova 5 for maybe a more convieniant way of carrying my gear when out and about as its a 1 strap shoulder bag ( not a ruck sack like my minitrekker)

i tend to take all the kit, but then leave the bag in the car, and justr take what i think i need buy loading my pockets up with lenses and filters etc, not ideal, but im working on it

About the same maybe a touch heavier, without tripod or andy external kit, comfy as anything, and I'm nearly 55, carry it all day everywhere with no complaints, ;)

I can list the kit it contains if you really want:rules:

Lightweights!:p Mines tops out at around 17Kg. and thats with Sarah carrying my food for the day, lol.

PMSL!!!!!

whats in it?

The Bag itself is a Lowpro Pro Trekker which weighs 5.32 kg on its own. I then have the foloowing in it;

D300
D40X
300mm f2.8
150mm f2.8
30mm f1.4
10-20mm
18-55mm
Lee filter kit
Various screw filters
Various torches, screwdrivers, remote shutters, bits of cloth, cleaning kit etc etc.
I also always carry a light waterproof jacket, camera watercover. And on the outside of the bag I have a 190XProB tripod with either a 322RC2 head or a gimbal head. It all quickly adds up. I can walk all day with that weight, but its nearing the limit of my 'happy' weight. any more and my legs start to complain. God know what i'll do if I ever end up with a 600mm f4 or 300-800mm f5.6. :LOL:

Canon 10d with grip c/w 2 batteries
Canon 20d with grip c/w 2 batteries

Tokina fisheye 10 - 17mm
Canon 17-40mm f4 L
Canon 85mm f1.2 L
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro
Canon 135mm f2 L
Canon 200mm f2.8 L
Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 L
Canon 500mm f4
Canon 1.4 L extender
Canon 2 x L extender 2

Kenko extension tubes
Canon 580 Ex flash
Canon cable release
Canon off camera cord
Lee ND grad .3 .6 .9 with filter holder
24 GB memory mostly 2 GB extreme 3
4 spare batteres for the Camera's
8 spare batteries for the flash
Card reader
Spare body and lens caps

1 pair of Nikon monarch binoculars for spotting

Spares = various cleaning bits and bobs, Giottos rocket blower, sensor cleaning kit, diary and pen, Gerber multi tool, hand saw (for removing branches when in hides)

All housed and protected by Lowepro

Carried by me if needed

Manfrotto 055 pro tripod with 322, 393, and 3 way heads
Manfrotto 134 monopod

The Bag itself is a Lowpro Pro Trekker which weighs 5.32 kg on its own. I then have the foloowing in it;

That doesn't sound right at all.:thinking:

Mine doesn't weigh too much, probably only 3kg or so, but if I go out for a day to Dartmoor i'll usually end up with about 15Kg inc. the tripod. :)

EDIT: It seems you're right, what's it made of, Cast Iron? :LOL: I suppose I'm used to super lightweight backpacks, the one I use most regularly weighs in at a massive 200g!

that one heavy bag, and imagine after it has all the kit in it? what does it way 30KG

Bag on it's own with all the stuff is about 11 kilos.

Where are you finding the weights for the Lowepro bags ? lol I have a PhotoTrekker AW2 and it isnt anywhere near as heavy as the 600 F4 when empty, and thats 6kg?

My kit on a day out is likely to be the 1d Mk3, 600 F4L and Gitzo GT 3540LS with Wimberley (this lot weighs about 8 or 9kg on its own)

In the PhotoTrekker will be the 20D, 100-400, 17-40, 1.4 and 2x Converters, Binoculars, spare batteries, memory cards etc, guess this weighs about another 10 or 11 kgs lol but have never weighed it all lol

Just depends what im shooting and if i know im going to be walking a long way i will then rationalise a bit and only take what i think i will need which cuts the weight down a LOT lol

There is no way on this earth my Phot Trekker AW2 weighs 4.7kg empty i reckon thats a guesstimate as to how much when its got stuff in it !!

Hmm correction, just weighed it on the kitchen scales lol only go up to 4kg and they pegged ! How odd, the 600 weighs 6kg and it feels a LOT heavier than the bag does !

That doesn't sound right at all.:thinking:

Mine doesn't weigh too much, probably only 3kg or so, but if I go out for a day to Dartmoor i'll usually end up with about 15Kg inc. the tripod. :)

EDIT: It seems you're right, what's it made of, Cast Iron? :LOL: I suppose I'm used to super lightweight backpacks, the one I use most regularly weighs in at a massive 200g!

Hehe, yup its a heavy bag. I think the weight comes from a combination of things; Its contains a solid frame. I don't think this is a metal frame like you used to get in old rucksacks, but its still pretty solid. The quality of the materials must add a lot. The whole sack is made from very thick material, and the inside padding from quite dense foam that suprisingly adds a fair bit to the weight. And finally the sheer size of the bag makes it pile on those pounds. Having said that, the harness and strap system more than makes up for the added weight, as even at 17Kg the sack is very comfortable for a whole day out.

Went to one of my photography clubs last night, and one of the guys there had a HUGE Gitzo tripod. I think its the largest one from the mountaineer range. And it had a Gimbal head un top. It was very similar to the setup im after at the moment. When im finished I can see my kit being nearer 30-40Kg, lol.

I had a bag for one trip that topped out out just over 28kgs with the tripod on. There was an awful lot of walking, rough terrain and hill's to climb.

I think that was the start of working towards my preferred bag I have now, which weighs in at less than 1kg. :D

Too heavy - i'm seriously considering either a golf cart, an invalid carriage or an American ( I hear the $ is a little weak compared to the £...... Renee...... :D)

Hehe, yup its a heavy bag. I think the weight comes from a combination of things; Its contains a solid frame. I don't think this is a metal frame like you used to get in old rucksacks, but its still pretty solid. The quality of the materials must add a lot. The whole sack is made from very thick material, and the inside padding from quite dense foam that suprisingly adds a fair bit to the weight. And finally the sheer size of the bag makes it pile on those pounds. Having said that, the harness and strap system more than makes up for the added weight, as even at 17Kg the sack is very comfortable for a whole day out.

Went to one of my photography clubs last night, and one of the guys there had a HUGE Gitzo tripod. I think its the largest one from the mountaineer range. And it had a Gimbal head un top. It was very similar to the setup im after at the moment. When im finished I can see my kit being nearer 30-40Kg, lol.

I assume it would probably be something to do with the foam and padding, which as you said is pretty heavy. A good frame will only add a few hundred grams if that to a bag. I have a 38L daysack with a metal frame which only weighs in at 1.5kg. It'll hold skis and everything else you want to put in it so it's not a lightweight either.:)

I was surprised that mine weighs just over 11kg as it feels heavier...or maybe...I'm just weaker than I thought! That's all of my kit including the Lowepro Vertex 300. I've got a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW that I use to take the kit that I need out.:)

Canon EOS 1D mk II body
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 USM Macro Lens
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4 IS USM
Canon Extender EF 1.4x convertor
Canon 580EX Speedlite Flash
Sigma EM140-DG Flash

2x Spare 1D batteries
16x AA rechargeable batteries
14gb of Ultra II CF memory
4gb of Ultra SD memory
Cokin Z-Pro filter holder and 3x ND filters and Polarizer+ adapter rings

All in a LowePro Nature Trekker II weighs in at 12kg approx, there's usually a tripod or monopod on there too and the day pack on the outside with waterproofs food and a flask so I guess close on to 20kg fully loaded, have carried it for full days and it's pretty comfy, legs get tired before the back does.

Have got to try and find room in there for the 20D now too !.

I'm beginning to think I might get a smaller bag and just take what I need for a specific day/event, instead of taking everything.

Alan

Alan

I have just packed for the weekend, and all I know is its heavy!
Camera, 3 lenses and a 1.4 tc, filters and a couple of cf cards just in case - oh and the manual as I can guarantee I will need it :LOL: Just hope Sunday turns out sunny so I can use it.

our 110 is painted 18% grey so I'm never short of a grey card :LOL:

bit big for slinging over your shoulder though!

Mines a 91 H plate Shogun TD with 174000 on the clock never ever let me down, I've had it from new, I wanted a Jap 4 x 4 as they don't break down :LOL:(y)

My kit bag is a Land Rover Defender 110. Does that count? :LOL:

Just weighed mine 8.3 kilo, it would be sods law if I left something at home it will be what I need on the day.

Depends how long I'm going for; might take my laptop and external HD along too if I'm going to have time to start copying some of my shots (over lunch break or similar).

Don't have any uber-heavy lenses though so its hourses for courses, I'd guestimate mine at about 14-15kg with laptop, and considering I use Computrekker Plus - which has really good support and straps to get it nice and high on my back - I don't really notice it that much

I know it cant always be done but i tend to pack for what i need
I dont have faast long primes or anything like that but if its candid stuff i take my walkabout and also my 50 1.4

if going trekking it usually my walkabout and macro lens ( will be adding my 10-22mm to that now)
tripod and maybe the telephoto zoom when i get one.

Well, I've a Computreker AW as my main bag which has most of my stuff in it - my 40D, 24-105, 70-200, 100-400, 580 flash, 1.4x tele, batteries, chargers (mains and car), cloths etc and that weighs quite a bit with it all in, but is ok for shortish distances. I tend to use this for motorsport, football,rugby etc where you walk to the event and put it on the ground.

I have a Mini trekker AW for when I'm walking about, and tend to pack less stuff in it so it's lighter.

I use two types of bags. The first type is a large backpack (Vertex 300 AW) in which can carry most of my equipment. I don't use this for shooting, simply for transporting the equipment from point-A to point-B either on an airliner or by car. When I rent a car, I try to get one with a trunk (boot to my UK cousins) to give me security if I have to leave the equipment while shooting. I don't travel in very hot conditions so the heat build up within the trunk/boot is no problem.

The Vertex 300 AW can weigh more than 15 kilos with all my gear. It is too big and heavy to carry while shooting.

I generally shoot with 2 or 3 cameras and when shooting will have one or two cameras with shorter lenses around my neck on an Optech Reporter strap which facilitates the use of multiple cameras without tangling the straps.

I keep my camera with the long lens in a holster (yamrac Zoom 19) case at my left hip. Most often this is a 40D with 70-200mm f/4L IS mounted. The camera has a hand strap attached and I use a round screw-in lens hood in lieu of the OEM hood and an OPTECH Hood Hat in lieu of the OEM lens cap. With the camera/lens configured this way, I can get it out and into action very fast.

My favorite combination is the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses on two cameras. Occasionally, I will use an additional 12-24mm Tokina on a third body.

I carry all of my incidental equipment such as CF cards, spare batteries, filters, etc, in a shooting vest. I also carry an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each of my camera/lens combinations. The Rainsleeves are inexpensive, lightweight and will protect my equipment from precipitation and dust.

I have modified a SLIK Pro 330DX tripod by substituting a shorter center column and a Flashpoint F-1 Arca Compatible, Magnesium, Ball Head in lieu of the stock SLIK pan/tilt head. So configured, the tripod/head weighs only .77 kilos, yet can support my 70-200mm f/4L IS and camera.

Going back a few years I used an extensive RB67 kit for landscape work, the bag weighed in at a backbreaking 21Kg. Getting it a plane as hand lugging was always a challenge, swinging it on to my shoulder like it didn't weigh much.

Less fitness and more sense now. :D

On a serious note, carrying around too much weight isn't actually very good for the spine in the long term. we "should" try to limit the weight to the minum really, although the rucksack type packs most of us use now do distribute the load better, especially if it has the hip belt. Wayne

Back