How is this effect created in Photoshop?

Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, I have a question for the experts here, I've seen a couple of photos from a photographer called southoptic on Instagram, some of his images are of Underground trains arriving into platforms, the trains are still but the surroundings are blurred in motion blur kind of way, how would I go about creating this effect myself in Photoshop?

Instagram link to southoptic's page below for example photos.

Instagram Link

It looks very much like "zoom burst" photography.

All done in camera......yet to read of a post processing 'filter' to do it???

I look forward to learning more and stand to be corrected?

It looks very much like "zoom burst" photography.

All done in camera......yet to read of a post processing 'filter' to do it???

I look forward to learning more and stand to be corrected?

That was my first thoughts too, but the photographer has posted before and after photos, the originals are just standard train photos.

I'm no help as to how to do it but the first thing I would do is message him and ask .....I've done this a few times before with inst photographers and they have all been more than helpful

Bizarrely this came up on my IG feed....

Looks it might give you some pointers?

Last edited:
I cant see the photographs, but photoshop does have a zoom/radial blur effect. Might be that.

Try YouTube for the answers.
I'm sure I've seen it there.

I've done some searching on YouTube and have found this video that gives a good explanation of how to do it using radial blur...

0:45 / 6:02 • Intro How to create ZOOM BLUR EFFECT // Photoshop Tutorial

I've gave it a quick try, for a first attempt, it's okay, but it's no award winner!

DSCF6463-PSEDIT-small.jpg

I'll have to give that way a go as it looks like it produces a nicer result.

Could well be a composite of two shots. One of the train then a second, without the train, using a long exposure and turning the zoom.

Could well be a composite of two shots. One of the train then a second, without the train, using a long exposure and turning the zoom.

I think the zoom effect is too consistent and regular for it to have been done by manually turning a zoom ring. There's usually a visible start or end to the trail.

While there are other photos by the same photographer that look like they were real long exposures, that one is all done in PP is my guess.

So, I've given this one a go, Path Blur certainly produces nicer results.

Quick edit of an old photo, there's a few rough edges so wouldn't advise zooming in but it's not bad.

DSC_0031.jpg

There are some good tutorials on u tube for path blur. Can be a very effective tool .

Here is a pretty detailed example of how to use path blur.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgWvq0cRJRg

That's a useful video, I also recognized the location straight away, one of the most interesting parts of the Natural History Museum, for me anyway!

It can be a little frustrating at times. But nice when it all clicks. It's what I used on a couple of my ship shots

Agreed, I've found the original image has to be just right for it to work properly.

I have to say it looks as artificial as it actually is to me, tbh horrible to my eyes, but each to their own.

I had a quick go this afternoon and as usual, the thing I struggled with the most was the fine selections - it is definitely not worth doing this on side on shots of bikes!

I am pretty pleased with the results on this shot though, as was the subject when I showed him!

Skinny and path blur by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I had a quick go this afternoon and as usual, the thing I struggled with the most was the fine selections - it is definitely not worth doing this on side on shots of bikes!

I am pretty pleased with the results on this shot though, as was the subject when I showed him!

Skinny and path blur by Lewis Craik, on Flickr
Nice job
Maybe a little on the front tyre too?

Yes, I did think that too. I also read about spin blur, that could be used to do side on bike shots.

Overall, I think that I'll just stick to slow shutter speed pans and get it right in camera.

Yes, I did think that too. I also read about spin blur, that could be used to do side on bike shots.

Overall, I think that I'll just stick to slow shutter speed pans and get it right in camera.
Yep
Get the panning right, and tweek if needed ;)

Back