Beginner how many cameras is enough

the amazing thing with film cameras is you can buy what was the top off the range camera for peanuts, a few more peanuts than it used to be but still cheap. its great to play with fun toys. only one is needed to take pictures but i am an enthusiast so dont have to justify buissness costs, if i was a pro its digi i would be using and its just not film:eek::D

I've just taken delivery of number 50.
It's a Lubitel 2 and looks to be in pretty good shape - even if the case stinks like it's been in a damp cellar for the last 50 years!

I plead the 5th and the right not to incrimiate my self but can someone explain to me why I now have 3 x Pentax MX bodies.....one just came up locally for £20.... the 50mm f/1.7 was an extra fiver!

Still got ny first Digital - Kodak DC25

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kodak_DC25

Cameras - such an addiction

Last edited:
I plead that I regard cameras as tools, and very few people would be happy if the only tool they had was a hammer - even if you can use it for banging in screws and save on buying a screwdriver...

Given that different camera types have different advantages and disadvantages (from 35mm easy to carry, quick to use, small negatives which set a limit on print size; large format slow to use, big negatives, relatively expensive film) then it's reasonable to have a spread of camera types. I have 35mm SLRs, a medium format TLR (bigger negatives, no viewfinder blackout at the moment of exposure so you can watch for the film version of blinkies :D), medium format SLRs (viewfinder blackout after exposure as no instant return mirror but easy to see exactly what you're getting at close distances) and a few large format cameras.

Even more than one within a type can be reasonable, without considering the question of a spare as backup. 35mm SLRs come as small and light, no battery required (OM1) up to bigger heavier brutes where you can change the pentaprism finder for a waist level finder (handy for some jobs) or prisms that allow you to wear (sun)glasses and still see all the screen. My three 5x4 cameras (I'm expecting a fourth soon) vary according to bellows draw (which determines the longest and shortest focal length lenses you can use) and weight - from 1.6kg to 2.9kg. They also vary in ease of setting up and smoothness of operation.

I think that I currently have 1 half frame, 2 compact 35mm cameras (one with a zoom lens, the other that amazing small and easy to pocket Olympus XA), 13 35mm SLRs, 1 6x6 TLR, 2 6x7 SLRs (one out on loan for so long that I don't know if I still own it :)), 3 5x4s and 1 10x8. Plus a sub miniature whose special film has an expiry date of 1963 and a couple of box cameras.

I plead the 5th and the right not to incrimiate my self but can someone explain to me why I now have 3 x Pentax MX bodies.....one just came up locally for £20.... the 50mm f/1.7 was an extra fiver!

Makes perfect sense, specially if one (or more) of them is black. One for b&w, one for C41, one for E6!

The good thing about owning multiple cameras is that you are always right in the "What Camera threads"

Those MX bodies are great cameras. I find it hard to turn down bargains like that (but have to!)

Those MX bodies are great cameras. I find it hard to turn down bargains like that (but have to!)

My favourite 35mm. Built to be very strong but the winder springs can be a problem.

I have loads of M bodies (ME, ME Super, ME- F etc Pentax 645, 67 and lenses etc

Other kit too!

My favourite 35mm. Built to be very strong but the winder springs can be a problem.

I have loads of M bodies (ME, ME Super, ME- F etc Pentax 645, 67 and lenses etc

Other kit too!

I now hav a MX, a LX and a ME I bought from new. The latter has a problem with the wind-on lever, and basically destroys the film at the end of the roll! Miles said he couldn't fix it as he didn't have the parts. Not sure I'd use it much if I did get it fixed, as A priority only doesn't much appeal... OTOH I don't think I'd ever get rid of it, so maybe I should treat it to a service somewhere else!

I now hav a MX, a LX and a ME I bought from new. The latter has a problem with the wind-on lever, and basically destroys the film at the end of the roll! Miles said he couldn't fix it as he didn't have the parts. Not sure I'd use it much if I did get it fixed, as A priority only doesn't much appeal... OTOH I don't think I'd ever get rid of it, so maybe I should treat it to a service somewhere else!

If you see the Chinon CP-7m going for peanuts (got mine for £7 inc postage) you should try it, and can set to manual as well. I think it is a very good camera but as I've only had it for a year or so have no idea of long term reliability, but then if you get it cheap................

http://cjo.info/classic-cameras/chinon-cp-7m/
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums...on-cp-7m-35-mm-slr-camera-body-worldwide.html

Last edited:
The latter has a problem with the wind-on lever, and basically destroys the film at the end of the roll! Miles said he couldn't fix it as he didn't have the parts.

Would it be possible to get a donor camera with a working transport mechanism, and transplant that into your camera? Especially if your ME has sentimental value.

Would it be possible to get a donor camera with a working transport mechanism, and transplant that into your camera? Especially if your ME has sentimental value.
That's probably a very good idea!

I just like to get to know how to handle and get the best out of ONE.

having said that, I do have two, but one is an Underwater Camera (TG-5), just in case I want to go for a swim...............:)

Depends if you're taking photos just for the results, or for the enjoyment of taking them as well. If I just wanted to get a good photo then I think two or three different ones would be enough, but for me walking around with something different is part of the fun. Sometimes I want to use a TLR, other times I fancy using a large format camera, and occasionally I just want to us an SLR.

Just because a camera is a tool to do a job, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy using different ones. We eat food so that we don't starve, but no one eats the same meal every day of their life.

The guy at Harrow Tech did a great job a while back on my best MX. The winder was ‘sticky’ and had a full service too.

http://harrowtechnical.co.uk/

Might be worth a call.

Steve

But on a positive note http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/ are still active, also ex Pentax guys and based just down the road from me in Brentford, they’ve done the servicing on my Pentax 67’s and been reliable and quick.

But on a positive note http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/ are still active, also ex Pentax guys and based just down the road from me in Brentford, they’ve done the servicing on my Pentax 67’s and been reliable and quick.
@ChrisR might be worth you contacting them about your camera if you feel like getting it working again.

I think Steve is winning so far, any advance on 70?

I really don’t want to win the ‘I am the most daft award’, I have already got the tee shirt....

I think Steve is winning so far, any advance on 70?

What about detachable lenses i.e. not fixed to the camera......I've got about 95 at a rough count for 26 SLR cameras. Might seem a lot, but not much when you consider some of the 26 cameras have more than one 50mm lenses. e.g Canon FD 50mm and Canon FDn 50mm and FDn 50mm f1.4

Last edited:
What about detachable lenses i.e. not fixed to the camera......I've got about 95 at a rough count for 26 SLR cameras. Might seem a lot, but not much when you consider some of the 26 cameras have more than one 50mm lenses. e.g Canon FD 50mm and Canon FDn 50mm.
Then there's the f/1.8, the f/1.4 and the f/1.2. :D

the amazing thing with film cameras is you can buy what was the top off the range camera for peanuts, a few more peanuts than it used to be but still cheap. its great to play with fun toys. only one is needed to take pictures but i am an enthusiast so dont have to justify buissness costs, if i was a pro its digi i would be using and its just not film:eek::D

If my dslr used film it would have cost £35,000 in film alone to take as many pics as I did. The body might cost peanuts but film certainly is not.

If my dslr used film it would have cost £35,000 in film alone to take as many pics as I did. The body might cost peanuts but film certainly is not.

H'mm are you are a pro or have 168,000 Dslr crap shots :D £35,000 divided by £5 per roll of film equals 7000 rolls and 7000 rolls with 24 shots equals 168,000 great film shots. ;)

Last edited:
You'd find you wouldn't take anywhere near as many shots if you use a film camera. With as few as 8 shots on a whole roll of 120, it sharpens your attention, you try to make every shot count; thinking about things, composing the frame, looking at and thinking about the light, checking focus, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. I found this slowing down process has helped me take better photos; but if I fancy (or need) an easier and quicker ride, or more features and adaptability, then I use one of the last of the 35mm autofocus SLRs (which work with my latest DSLR lenses).

On the other hand, you could just machine gun away with a digital until you get the desired shot, possibly more by the law of averages rather than through careful thought and concentration.

Then there's all the time it takes you to go through 300 or 400 photos to try to pick the best ones and delete the rest, how much does that cost you? I bet I can scan and sort 36 film images in less time than it takes you to pixel peep and sort through a few hundred very similar looking shots in an effort to sort the wheat from the chaff?

Don't get me wrong, I use digital cameras on a regular basis as they do a great job of producing photographs (especially in low light and macro situations) and you can check you've got the shot in the bag before you go home; but I find that using a film camera slows me down and turns me into more of a photographer, rather than someone who takes photographs (if that makes sense?).

So why not give a film camera a(nother?) try, and see what we're on about. It can be a cruel mistress though, and if you take your eye off the ball it will often give you the image you deserve for not paying attention... and I rather like the honesty of that! :)

H'mm are you are a pro or have 168,000 Dslr crap shots :D £35,000 divided by £5 per roll of film equals 7000 rolls and 7000 rolls with 24 shots equals 168,000 great film shots. ;)

£5 for 24. And you talk about things costing peanuts. That says it all really

I plead that I regard cameras as tools, and very few people would be happy if the only tool they had was a hammer - even if you can use it for banging in screws and save on buying a screwdriver...

Hammer for banging in nails, camera for taking pictures (or camera for banging in nails)
Either way, you don't need two hammers.:canon:

Hammer for banging in nails, camera for taking pictures (or camera for banging in nails)
Either way, you don't need two hammers.:canon:
When I was a boat builder, I had a large lump hammer, standard claw hammer, ball-peine hammer and a tack hammer all in constant use.

£5 for 24. And you talk about things costing peanuts. That says it all really

A hobby ? So what do you buy for £5......1.5 pints of beer or 10 cigarettes a Mac and so on

Pretty clearly 1 camera is enough (if you have it with you when needed). That being said I have far too many and some are gathering dust. For example my Nikon D500 has not been used since I got my D850 on release day. Since I can set the D850 to DX mode and use the same area and mega pixels why would I need a D500? 10fps? I get 7fps and that is quite enough and I can say that having sorted through hundreds of similar images on many occasions. I've grown out of that.

How many cameras are enough? If you love equipment and precision tools then you can never have too many. If you can afford to buy the latest then do it. If an old item has potential future uses keep it otherwise sell it. Wish I still had my chrome Leica M3 sold to get my first mortgage deposit :(

When I was a boat builder, I had a large lump hammer, standard claw hammer, ball-peine hammer and a tack hammer all in constant use.
And I have a 1DX2 a short lens, a medium lens and a long lens.
And I can still only use one at a time.

Well, following your logic, you only need one of those lenses. If you reply that they serve different purposes, then you've conceded the point.

And I have a 1DX2 a short lens, a medium lens and a long lens.
And I can still only use one at a time.
But there are things you would not want to use a 1DX2 for - spending all day walking around London, for instance, as I will be doing on Saturday. I shall be using my Olympus Pen and saving my strength for Bestbeloved's shopping. It is not too hard to think of other situations where a smaller camera is appropriate. By your argument, I would have only had the lump hammer and used that to drive panel pins in with. Would've made a mess of the veneers!

Back