How many Images?

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Since getting my 5DMKiv at the end of August this year, I looked at the file number yesterday and I've taken 277 images with it so far. :jawdrop:

I can remember the days with my 40D, I'd only have to go for a local walk and get home with 100 images +, most of which were binned, 1 or 2 might have been kept. My 40D must have 200,000 + activations. Then I moved on to the 7D (not a camera I particularly enjoyed), got that in 2013, still have it and it's taken 13,500 images. On to the Mkiv, as said, 277 images since end of August, well, begining of September as that was the first time I took it out to Kilchurn.

In fairness, finding time to get out isn't easy being a committed family chap, my 6 year old Daughter keeps me honest, but I do get out and about on the weekends. then, when I go, I'm a lot more selective than I used to be, I only take the image if it's there, not just for the sake of it. So many elements have to come together before I press the shutter button, especially the light. I'm not pro standard by any means, inter maybe but between conditions and being more selective, I'm taking far less images than I used to.

I've been wondering how many images a typical nature (landscape/wildlife) 'tog might in a year. I know it's not going to be a set number, more an average but I am curious.

Last edited:
Are we talking number of frames taken or number of processed images you feel are worth sharing? To me the two are very different. For me it depends if I'm taking landscapes or wildlife. With landscapes I can take only a few each time whereas with wildlife, like during the Red Deer rut, I can take much more. Over 6 weeks and 18 visits during the rut I took about 2000 frames and so far processed around 50 of them that will likely be shared over the coming months. Though 2000 sounds a lot that was over 18 visits so just over 100 per visit isn't that much for wildlife.

I don't think there is a 'typical photographer', everyone is likely to be very different and it's likely to depend on the number trips out and the extent of those trips too (I'm far likely to take many more during a few days on Skomer than a few more mornings locally).

I have taken around a thousand less, than last year, till this point in the year, if i had not been out chasing butterflies and dragon and damselflies, this would have been even less, but my total is , just around, the 2,750, mark,

My D500 is 15 months old and so far has taken just over 30,000 shots ... my activity has increased!

I seems to be taking 3-4000 shot per year at the moment. Not much proper wildlife or landscape but i have a little boy. I seem to do between 100-200 each time i spend the day out and usually delete half of them straight away and edit a quarter.
Nothing worse that doing wildlife and having 300 shot of the same thing and sometime 3-4 of the exact same thing, going through them in lightroom looking for the shapest waiting for the 1-1 to display...

When taking landscapes, I have been know to go out, take one shot and go hone again. With my main interest - mediaeval churches - I will take about 50 shots in a day; it needs 30-odd to properly describe a church with a few for insurance. With my new interest in wildlife, I might take 200 in a day, few of which are worth keeping.

I come from a film background and had to learn to do the rejecting of shots before pressing the shutter release. It would seem that younger photographers do the rejecting once they get home. I expect that the main reason you take less shots with your latest camera is that you are now rejecting before you take the shot - a sign of learning.

At this point, I'm around 70K + / y on 4 bodies for work
and about the same in the wildlife department.

I've taken just shy of 6k this year to date. And I think I should take more...

Just looking I did 4k in 2014; 2k in 2015 and 3k in 2016 ... so there was a benefit buying a D750 - I'm using it more (though that could partly be because compared to the D3200 it have a much higher frame rate)

Depends but at the moment about 5K a year, but I've not had many holidays, shooting opportunities lately.
When I was shooting sports at weekends I was shooting around 40K a year, my old 50D had over 120K photos taken on it (saved and listed in Lightroom), so more than that.
It's 5D mk3 replacement is only upto about 45k

I have no idea how many I take a year (I don't even know how to look it up), but one 1hr session taking photos of horses (of the wife and horse cross country practice) I'll rattle of 300+ shots. A lot will go in the bin, so I'll probably end up with about 100-150.

I have no idea how many I take a year (I don't even know how to look it up), but one 1hr session taking photos of horses (of the wife and horse cross country practice) I'll rattle of 300+ shots. A lot will go in the bin, so I'll probably end up with about 100-150.

And how many have you printed, and of those how many are hanging or have hung on the wall? :D

I am not much better but I got some samples printed, some cheap and cheerful frames bought and will print again and hang them on the wall. For me it is one way to see if I still like them 6 months later or get rid of them ASAP.

Just over 29k with my D750. Not sure about the EM1 but I would guess around 4-5k. I took around 4000 just at Silverstone this year though :oops: :$

Since getting my 5DMKiv at the end of August this year, I looked at the file number yesterday and I've taken 277 images with it so far. :jawdrop:

I can remember the days with my 40D, I'd only have to go for a local walk and get home with 100 images +, most of which were binned, 1 or 2 might have been kept. My 40D must have 200,000 + activations. Then I moved on to the 7D (not a camera I particularly enjoyed), got that in 2013, still have it and it's taken 13,500 images. On to the Mkiv, as said, 277 images since end of August, well, begining of September as that was the first time I took it out to Kilchurn.

In fairness, finding time to get out isn't easy being a committed family chap, my 6 year old Daughter keeps me honest, but I do get out and about on the weekends. then, when I go, I'm a lot more selective than I used to be, I only take the image if it's there, not just for the sake of it. So many elements have to come together before I press the shutter button, especially the light. I'm not pro standard by any means, inter maybe but between conditions and being more selective, I'm taking far less images than I used to.

I've been wondering how many images a typical nature (landscape/wildlife) 'tog might in a year. I know it's not going to be a set number, more an average but I am curious.

Wow! That's a tenner an image! I've never priced my own like that, mind, and I'm not really a nature photographer.

Sorry for not getting back and thanks for the replies.

I'm still under 300 clicks on my MKiv, I just don't get to use it as I'm currently restricted to weekends for hobbyist photography and I've become very selective lately too. From those almost 300 clicks, I have maybe 100 or so images that I could use or dare to publish in answer to Rob's question above.

It won't be increasing over the next week or so as my MKiv has had to go in for a clean, the VF is filthy on it and it seems to have been getting worse, so it's gone back, under warranty to be checked.

Hopefully, when it comes back, we can get some light and low winds so I can get my beloved reflections.

It's interesting to see the variations in number of clicks by different people for their genre. (y)

Sorry for not getting back and thanks for the replies.

I'm still under 300 clicks on my MKiv, I just don't get to use it as I'm currently restricted to weekends for hobbyist photography and I've become very selective lately too. From those almost 300 clicks, I have maybe 100 or so images that I could use or dare to publish in answer to Rob's question above.

It won't be increasing over the next week or so as my MKiv has had to go in for a clean, the VF is filthy on it and it seems to have been getting worse, so it's gone back, under warranty to be checked.

Hopefully, when it comes back, we can get some light and low winds so I can get my beloved reflections.

It's interesting to see the variations in number of clicks by different people for their genre. (y)

I've slowed down a bit lately, both in the number of shoots and in the number of frames per shoot. At the moment I reckon on 100-600 frames per shoot, 2-4 shoots a month.

I take a fair number of frames in the knowledge that they will be no use. When working with people it can be really important to maintain a rhythm. Similarly, a minute change of expression or hand position can make a big difference to an image.

Similarly, a minute change of expression or hand position can make a big difference to an image.

This ^^^ is what drives me to shoot a LOT of images at my B&G sessions. I've learnt (ok yes, the hard disappointing way) that the perfect eyes can combine with an awkward mouth and vice versa, same with other body bits, so I shoot a lot to make sure this isn't a problem overall

Dave

I guess these doing timelapse will also rank there clicks up!

I often wonder this, it's something I'd like to try but I don't want to excessively add to my shutter count either, it's not that difficult to exceed 100,000 plus. I have a 40D and I dread to think what is on that, it must be 300,000 plus, from my HDR phase, many moons ago. That said, it's still going strong.

My camera was a big investment for and it has to last.

Your shutter is rated to around 150,000 releases and will cost about £250 to have replaced by Canon.

I've got the same camera, bought in April. I'm up to just over 13,000 (photos, which isn't necessarily the same as shutter count) and I think that's low TBH - I'm not a pro and I don't shoot every day.

I spent an hour sitting by a lake watching water break over a rock and took over 400 photos of that waiting for the right shot.
I spent half an hour watching water flow over a weir and took 600+ photos until I got what I wanted.
I went out for a couple of hours on a boat to see Killer Whales and shot over 800 photos - most are crap, bloody animal wouldn't do as he was told ;) .

I've spent a lot on my camera so I'm going to use it, not just to capture "keepers", it's definitely not an ornament, I think, since April, I've had to dry it out over night 4 times.

Back