How many of you shoot .raw .jpeg or both ??

Do you shoot most of the time) .raw .jpeg or always both ?

• .RAW

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • .JPEG

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • BOTH

Votes: 43 33.3%

• Total voters
I've been holding out on this thread and read most of the responses, for me I shoot RAW, I've dabbled in shooting jpg and just don't see the point. Highlights get overblown, shadows and darks lost and can't be recovered. It's not a case of getting the exposure right, in camera jpgs simply don't have enough latitude to cover the extremes in highlights to darks satisfactory.
A quick dabble of a RAW file in LR then hit "export with previous" and you have a nice jpg, taylored for the particular shot you have just processed.
In camera jpg's might be OK in some situations but for me it's a no go, I'd rather spend a few minutes in LR processing the photos that I like to how I want them then "Export to jpg" and post them or whatever from there.

Reactions: Sky
I shoot both.
When I get home I like to stick the jpeg card in my telly and view my images from the day.
I then use the raw files for editing.

@Bobsyeruncle - could you explain what you mean by sticking the ""jpeg card"" in your telly..

Are saying that you shoot "Raw & jpeg" But you store the jpeg images on a different card to the Raw images ?

If that is this case then you have your camera set to send the jpeg to one card and the same Raw file to another card , I`m I understanding this correctly ?
That would be a great idea if its possible. (unless Iv`e got it all wrong) How would you go about doing that on a D810 ..

Coho-Blue

That would be a great idea if its possible. (unless Iv`e got it all wrong) How would you go about doing that on a D810

It's a few years since I had a Nikon camera, but there should be settings to select both raw and jpg and to choose where they go on the menus.

@Bobsyeruncle - could you explain what you mean by sticking the ""jpeg card"" in your telly..

Are saying that you shoot "Raw & jpeg" But you store the jpeg images on a different card to the Raw images ?

If that is this case then you have your camera set to send the jpeg to one card and the same Raw file to another card , I`m I understanding this correctly ?
That would be a great idea if its possible. (unless Iv`e got it all wrong) How would you go about doing that on a D810 ..

Coho-Blue
See the manual, p86:

Coho-Blue
Yeah, I shoot raw to one card and jpeg to another.
When I get home I stick the card with the jpegs into a card reader connected to the USB input on my telly, and I can quickly show them to my wife when I get home.
I then decide which raw files to keep and delete the rest of the raw files and the jpegs....
I use a Sony A9 which has 2 card slots.

The standard 16- 55mm kit lens,

Kit lenses are sometimes made very much down to a price rather than up to a quality and are usually just a stop gap until a user decides what better lenses to add to the bag. There are some exceptions to this generalisation but it sounds like the Sony isn't one of them!

Hi, it depends on the camera I use:

RAW (DNG) - Leica

JPEG - NIKON

JPEG - SONY

I am too lazy to use 3 different RAW formats, so it is only RAW (DNG) with my Leicas.

Just quickly looking at light Room ( I cannot use it anyway) It looks as if it is a Cloud Program/app is this right or do you download on to your PC and just save your files to the cloud ?

Kit lenses are sometimes made very much down to a price rather than up to a quality and are usually just a stop gap until a user decides what better lenses to add to the bag. There are some exceptions to this generalisation but it sounds like the Sony isn't one of them!

The Sony does take some great images with the kit lens and all the cameras correction but I must admit the old manual film lenses seem to do a much better job plus I do like using them more ! It feels as if I've put more input to making a photo if that makes sense !

Do you shoot .raw .jpeg or both ?
very much depends upon the situation...

i shoot both to cover all eventualities, raw-only when i intend to "mess about" with the look, and jpg only if i know
the output will only be used on social media and not need a lot of in-depth post work made on the photographs.

all my cameras come out with me set to raw+jpeg(fine). if i forget to change the setting for any reason
it means i have options, plus the dual-sim cameras mean that one way or another i have some backup, either
huge files that i didnt really want, or jpeg-s that mean i at least have *something* to show

I shoot both, but I don't know why!

Shooting with Fuji the jpegs are really quite good, but there will always be some images I might want to edit a bit further than I would be comfortable with for jpegs. Culling between a card of jpegs and a card of raws, and then going through and deciding which jpegs are OK and which I want to edit the raw version of seems like a massive overcomplication of my work flow so when it comes to it I just import and adit all my raws.

Just quickly looking at light Room ( I cannot use it anyway) It looks as if it is a Cloud Program/app is this right or do you download on to your PC and just save your files to the cloud ?
There are basically two versions of Lightroom; one is cloud based - just called Lightroom - but the other is a traditional program that is installed on your computer - called Lightroom Classic. I use the Classic version and all of my images are stored on my local hard drives with nothing in the cloud. Both versions (plus Photoshop and several other programs) are included in the Adobe photographer package. Personally, I don't like editing on a tablet so don't use the cloud based version but I know several people that do and they get very acceptable results.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Hi, it depends on the camera I use:

RAW (DNG) - Leica

JPEG - NIKON

JPEG - SONY

I am too lazy to use 3 different RAW formats, so it is only RAW (DNG) with my Leicas.
You could import as DNG surely? That's what i do so all my files are the same.

I strive to produce the best images I can. JPEGs are 8-bit, condensed and lossy. Horrible! I prefer to shoot 14 bit RAW (NEF) and convert to 16 bit TIFF.

Last edited:
Um, Getty photographers (sport excepted) work almost exclusively in RAW.

You might be thinking of Reuters, which went through a period of forcing all its contributors to only shoot in Jpeg back in 2015 for ethical reasons.
Which was somewhat counter-intuitive.
Ex Getty here; JPG for 95% of jobs.

Ex Getty here; JPG for 95% of jobs.

That's changed somewhat in recent years Gerard. Basically due to the speed of online transmission and client requirements for original RAW files. :)

PS - long time no see on here! :)

That's changed somewhat in recent years Gerard. Basically due to the speed of online transmission and client requirements for original RAW files. :)

PS - long time no see on here! :)
To be fair I was basis that mainly on the bigger events. Also I remember doing a raw+jpg workflow for things like the Oscars and Cannes back in 2009!

On my Nikons it was 100% RAW. With the Fuji now, its pretty much all jpg. Any editing I do is fine, I do shoot in both for paid work but normally end up using the jpg.

Its one of those questions where the answers have no useful meaning unless given with what and why shooting...

Even the most ardent RAW shooters who believe thats the only way would probably shoot JPG if they where doing my job :) I may have a couple of hundred pics to edit and only want to spend seconds on them.. crop then a quick straighten and auto contrast usually does the trick :) saved, uploaded to web for sale and never to be touched again as the day after your on your next job.. Soon you ahve half a million pictures in your library :)

Yes as Kipax said above there isn’t a right or wrong way of doing things it completely depends on what you are doing
I shoot mainly macro and wildlife probably take a few hundred shots on a full day out
I shot raw so that I could maximise image quality shooting Canon crop at high ISO but I shoot full frame now so it’s not such an issue

Always RAW, but I'm quite geeky so love computers too.

I was gutted when I found out my then partner had deleted a load of NEFs (he called them NAFFs). I still have the jpegs but I miss the ability to develop the raw files further.

I shoot .RAW only.

I just use film.

I also use film; and I keep both raw and processed scanner output. I do this for the same reason I have both raw and jpg capture on my digital camera - it gives me more flexibility and chance to recover if I find that that the automatically processed version can't be made to give the result I want.

I always wanted to shoot jpg and get it right "in camera" to avoid spending loads of time post processing.

However, as I'm not a very good photographer (yet), I've switched to using raw and Capture One to improve things.

I always wanted to shoot jpg and get it right "in camera" to avoid spending loads of time post processing.

However, as I'm not a very good photographer (yet), I've switched to using raw and Capture One to improve things.
Shooting Raw isn't a case of getting it right in camera or not, it's about having total control over what the final processed image looks like. A JPEG bakes in a lot of image parameters and doesn't give you anything like the same processing latitude. The camera makes a lot of decisions for you when shooting JPEG, when shooting raw you can change them after the fact.

Shooting Raw isn't a case of getting it right in camera or not, it's about having total control over what the final processed image looks like. A JPEG bakes in a lot of image parameters and doesn't give you anything like the same processing latitude. The camera makes a lot of decisions for you when shooting JPEG, when shooting raw you can change them after the fact.
Thanks for that, that's what I was getting at, raw gives me much more scope for fixing my numerous mistakes after the fact. (y)

I've shot exclusively raw for most of the time I've had 'proper' cameras. As with most views in this thread, it's purely for the editing ability.
I'm not a full time photographer with workflow requirements like Kipax et al, for me it's an expensive hobby at best which affords me plenty of time to tinker with images and revisit at later dates!

Having said that, I am now setting up my A7iii to record raw to the high speed card in slot 1 and jpg to a higher capacity, slower speed card in slot 2, just for the redundancy. Didn't have the luxury of dual slots with previous cameras so I might as well make use of the functionality.

i have a 15 year old leica m8 which which has a pretty terrible jpg engine - they probably just assumed all users would shoot dng so did not bother putting too much effort into making it produce decent jpgs

I always used to shoot RAW then shot film and have moved to Jpg for digital. It does depend on what type of photography people do but for me Jpg is just fine.

I always shoot raw but only ever get round to editing about 1 photo.

I shoot RAW and back up RAW to the second card - I've had a card or two fail in my time so I am a bit paranoid about doing a RAW + JPEG write - but there is a merit to that if you want to quickly preview the images or show them on a smart TV or something.

These days I shoot both regardless of camera system I'm shooting with I down load and split into two folders raw&jpg if the jpg are ok without any really bad exposures I delete the raw folder. Why fill Storeage will files I will never use or look at ?
I hate PP so do my best to get them right in camera.

Back