How many people use their Nifty Fifty ?

I like the fact it's compact and you can very tight depth of focus.

I Have 3 fifties, nikon 1.8 which is about 20 years old, nikon 1.4G and a Zeiss 1.4 plannar, I must confess they don't get used as much as they should, but everytime I do use them, there is something special about the pics they produce. I am starting to love the Zeiss, just need a bit more practice manual focusing when I am shooting at 1.4.

I use to use my fifty when I first bought my D700. Don't think I've used it once since I bought a 24-70.

Used it all the time on my D200. When I upgraded to the D3, the 85mm soon took over from the 50mm. Both are 1.4, and the 85mm on Full Frame seems very similar to 50mm on Crop.

G.

I use mine for portraits, indoor low light shots and if I am playing, wide open for bokeh

I use mine all the time; for street photography. The 24-70 is used for everything else.

I was sort of weaned on film cameras that had 50mm f1.4/1.8 glass. It's still pretty much my favourite focal length on film - so much so that i've got a nifty for the EOS-3, I've got a couple of FD 50mm's for the A-1 (1.4ssc and a 1.8), a Yashica ML 50mm 1.7 for the Yashica 108, and an Industar-61LD (the radioactive one!) 52mm for the rangefinder.

For me, on a crop sensor, the 50mm doesn't feel right - I think that something like the EF28mm 1.8 USM might be a better match - or if I hit the lottery tonight, the 35mm 1.4L :LOL:

I use my 50/1.4 quite a bit, so far. I find the 85/1.8 nicer with portraits.

The 50 focal range is nice, but half the time its neither here or there, i keep either like wider, or closer.

This is on FF.

I used to use it for everything except motorsport, then I got a 35mm lens and now that is my default walkabout lens.

Bought mine on here because I had some cash burning a hole but really don't use it because I prefer the versatility of a 17-50mm zoom. Used it a lot though on Thursday for a shoot just for the hell of it. Still prefer the 85mm as more of an impact lens - 50mm is just too middle-of-the-road on a crop body.

I had one and loved it. It was my first lens after the less-than-average Canon 17-55 kit lens. However it broke into 2 pieces (they are flimsy) and I replaced it straight away.... so that would fall into the 'get another' category.... BUT.... it sat in my bag for ages and I never used it as I had a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I eventually moved it on.......

........SO.....

if you didn't use it that often and have something that can handle low light will you really miss it? On a crop sensor the 50mm is very limiting (for me anyway).

I have been using my AFS 50mm f1.4G on the F80 all day. Just waiting to see the results

You should be souping you're own my now... ;)

I have 5 more Kodak C41 films to go through first. Will buy the films & chemicals on next pay day. I am too skint even to buy the chemicals after spending silly money on studio equipment. It's my 40th birthday in 89 minutes and I can't even go out to celebrate :bang:

I have even more dark room kit now (free :)) so really looking forward to getting started.

I used mine today :)

Makes you think in a whole new way.... Zoom with your feet

Great quality from a cheapo lens.

Pics from today here:-

tp thread

I have 5 more Kodak C41 films to go through first. Will buy the films & chemicals on next pay day. I am too skint even to buy the chemicals after spending silly money on studio equipment. It's my 40th birthday in 89 minutes and I can't even go out to celebrate :bang:

I have even more dark room kit now (free :)) so really looking forward to getting started.

I wish you were a hour or so nearer - i'd have come over with a six pack and my processing kit box and run through the developing process with you... Unfortunately, I only get to go out for 3 or so hours at a time, and that'd be taken up with the driving :(

Anyway - beer and darkroom chemicals (well - C41 one's at least) aren't the best things to get mixed up :LOL:

I wish you were a hour or so nearer - i'd have come over with a six pack and my processing kit box and run through the developing process with you... Unfortunately, I only get to go out for 3 or so hours at a time, and that'd be taken up with the driving :(

Anyway - beer and darkroom chemicals (well - C41 one's at least) aren't the best things to get mixed up :LOL:

Cheers (y)

I've got a couple of FD 50mm's for the A-1 (1.4ssc and a 1.8)

How does the FD 1.4 compare with the 1.8? I've been toying with the idea of getting one for my A-1.

edit: Oh, and my EF 50mm f/1.4 gets used practically daily. It's my second most used lens after the 70-200.

Last edited:
How does the FD 1.4 compare with the 1.8? I've been toying with the idea of getting one for my A-1.

The 1.8 i've got is the New FD bayonet job, nice enough, but pretty much the same as a modern nifty-50, the 1.4ssc is a old breechlock one, much more solid (almost twice the weight - 305g to 170g per canon's site), and a little nicer all round. I'd already got the 1.4 from a previous AE-1 that was nicked, when I picked up the A-1 with a 1.8. Honestly, if I'd got the 1.8, I doubt if i'd actually go out and buy a 1.4 unless the 1.8 went faulty - they're one of the few relatively expensive FD lenses.

edit: one of the main things with the 1.4 is that it's "bokeh" (hate that word dunno why) is better - obviously wider aperture, but also 8 blades rather than the 5 of the newer 1.8.

Last edited:
I don't like the length on a crop camera, so I've never bought one, but I have used my old Nikkor f1.8 from my film days on the 30D with an adapter occasionally.

Bought one a month or so ago for a lad who was leaving work - it's never been off his camera and he's very very pleased with it (y)

Don't use it as much as I used to - with the D700, cranking the ISO up to what used to be silly values is an option, so the extra light grabbing of the f/1.8 over the f/2.8 zoom isn't quite so important (the AF in the D700 copes with the smaller aperture very well too). If I'm just using the D70, I'll probably put the f/1.8 in the bag as well, since that (D70) isn't as happy with the f/2.8 for focussing in low light or with high ISOs.

It's been quite a few months since I've used it last. It's not a lens I used lately because it's not the best travel lens in my opinion, especially when having to be switching lenses. And sometimes the length is a little long on a crop. Maybe once I come back from my vacation I'll give it a go.

Well I've been out again today with the AFS 50mm f1.4G on the F80. I have been using the AFS 24-70 f2.8G as my walk about lens for the past few months so using the 50mm was a bit limiting to start with. I had the 24-70 on the D700 and used the 50mm for a 36 exp film. There was only one image that I wanted to get that I just could not get and for that image I had to switch to the 24-70 for width.

After posting on this thread that I dont use mine much ... I took some pics today with it of 2 week old kittens that my sister is hand rearing, in a darkish lounge, this lens did the business :D

and all thanks to this thread for making me put it back in my bag

Back