How much is a shilling Dad?

crusher

Greengrass
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Spotted this old LNER railway sign in the middle of the Hampshire countryside recently:

Some of the more elderly amongst you may remember what a shilling was:LOL:

3975589078_86fbb18599_o.jpg

Keith, my dad told me what a shilling was... that was before I went to work to earn some. Your pic has a way of reminding us about the years, thanks :crying:
Nice picture though and well spotted :clap:

No the fine is just a couple of quid
seems a bit steep for leaving a gate open though :D

40 shillings = 2 quid :)

Elderly - bloody cheek :)

Very nice spot!!!

4 posts at the same time /\ and I win :p

Thanks for all your comments folks..........some of you are showing your age more than others.......I am, of course, far too young to remember:LOL::LOL:

For the youngsters:

"Before the 15 February 1971, there were twenty shillings to the pound.

The shilling was twelve pennies.

The penny was divided into two halfpennies or four farthings..........

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny
3 pence = thruppence
6 pence = sixpence (also called a tanner)
12 pence = 1 shilling (also called a bob)
2 shillings = florin
2 shillings and 6 pence = a half crown
5 shillings = a Crown "

Last edited:
And that sign, to a collector, is worth quite a few shillings.

And that sign, to a collector, is worth quite a few shillings.

I might have to go back one dark night........................

Thanks for all your comments folks..........some of you are showing your age more than others.......I am, of course, far too young to remember:LOL::LOL:

For the youngsters:

"

did the farthing go a bit before then ?

looks like the farthing went at the end of 1960

Last edited:
Those were the days when you could threaten a user, nowadays the sign would say something like " please beware this gate swings back and forth and the wood may contain splinters" :LOL: Nice find Keith ;)

Those were the days when you could threaten a user, nowadays the sign would say something like " please beware this gate swings back and forth and the wood may contain splinters" :LOL: Nice find Keith ;)

Taken when we went to Blashford Lakes:)

No. Twelve old English pence. And twenty shillings or 240 pence makes £1

(and I'm only 45!).

Steve.

No. Twelve old English pennies (not pence). to a shilling, And twenty shillings or 240 pennies makes £1

and a guinea was £1 1 shilling or 21 shillings or 252 pennies

I think only the sixpence (tanner) and threepence ( three penny bit) coins had pence on them

Last edited:
How old is the sign, my first week wages in 1971 was only £5 10 shillings. Half a weeks wages for not shutting gate:eek:, violin players welcome.

For the youngsters:

2 halfpence = 1 penny
3 pence = thruppence
6 pence = sixpence (also called a tanner)
12 pence = 1 shilling (also called a bob)
2 shillings = florin
2 shillings and 6 pence = a half crown
5 shillings = a Crown "

I see no mention of the Sovereign or Guinea? :thinking: - but Sink me! ... now my grey hairs are really showing. :puke:

Seriously though, I am only too familiar with those denominations that Australia as part of the British Commonwealth was also using until currency decimalisation was adopted in 1966 - too late to help me pass my maths exams :crying:

I recall at the time we converted to decimal that a shilling was 5p. Or at least that was the conversion rate used by my dad!

I like this thread, it makes me realise i'm not as old as i feel lol born in 71 i'm a decimal boy, but up until she passed away in the 80's my nana always said be a good boy and i'll give ya a tanner treat, always made me laugh :LOL:
Good pic btw love those old signs.
Might stick one those on my neighbours gate,keep his flamin dog of the road !!

Last edited:
Eeee, I remember when courting, you could have a trip to cinema, a couple of pints, pie and pea supper, get your busfair home and still have change from tuppence!!!!

(not really, born in 77, but nice find anyway)

Eeee, I remember when courting, you could have a trip to cinema, a couple of pints, pie and pea supper, get your busfair home and still have change from tuppence!!!!

(not really, born in 77, but nice find anyway)

And you tell the young uns. that today. And they don't believe you!:wacky:

Can't believe this thread is still alive:D

Thanks everyone for your comments for what was really just a grab shot..............shame my serious shots don't generate such interest:LOL:

I agree, it's often the case that the better the shot the less response ... it's just a matter of choosing a topic that stikes a chord! :D

And 960 farthings to the pound, and it had a Jenny Wren on one side- I can just remember them.

Cracking image BTW :)

I recall at the time we converted to decimal that a shilling was 5p. Or at least that was the conversion rate used by my dad!
You recall well. The 5p was "5 New P" equivalent to 12 old pennies.

Was a hefty fine back then ( forty shillings). Nowadays you could trash the train and be given a couple of hours community service, free bus pass, weeks' meal vouchers and access to a personal councillor, with the option of year family rail pass and then have a community lawyer fight your case to claim a couple of £K compo for breeching your human rights.

... Aye the good old days / daze !

Oh, nice shot crusher.

Last edited:
I was thinking more of the Groat that had a fourpenny worth of silver in :) Not that I remember of course..........

did the farthing go a bit before then ?

looks like the farthing went at the end of 1960

Even a few years before that my local shop would not accept a single farthing. As a very small child I could not understand why I could spend two (on a ha'penny toffee which was quite large) but not one.

Primary school arithmetic was a nightmare, calculating theoretical shopping bills, not to mention compound interest, in pounds, shillings and pence AND farthings. Some of our teachers were kind and let us round up to ha'pennies, but others thought it good for us to struggle with *@!&%^ farthings. I know, giving myself away here. No calculators, or course.

I know, giving myself away :D

What real money looks like

farthing.jpg

halfpenny.jpg

penny.jpg

threepence.jpg

sixpence.jpg

florin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the "ten bob note"?
Or the silver thrupenny bit?

silver thrupenny bit?

My Nan had loads of these when I was a youngster.........she used to put a couple in the Christmas Pud each year:)

Back