How much is a shilling Dad?

Some of you lot have been overpaid, what with silver sixpences, 12 sided threepenny bits, and a first weeks wage of £1. 17,6p, we had to run round the table till we were fed up, life in Preston just after the war, I know, (old fart) would not have changed it.

Thanks for all your comments folks..........some of you are showing your age more than others.......I am, of course, far too young to remember:LOL::LOL:

For the youngsters:

"Before the 15 February 1971, there were twenty shillings to the pound.

The shilling was twelve pennies.

The penny was divided into two halfpennies or four farthings..........

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny
3 pence = thruppence
6 pence = sixpence (also called a tanner)
12 pence = 1 shilling (also called a bob)
2 shillings = florin
2 shillings and 6 pence = a half crown
5 shillings = a Crown "

What about 4d = 1 groat.
Showing my age now.

For the youngsers amongst us, that old £5 note shown above was about the same size as a bed sheet!

Steve.

I remember finding a bag full of fathingings on a rubbish tip around 1960 or 61, myself and two or three mates were “rottin” that is to say shooting rats with flertas or catapults, there were probably two or three hundred farthings in the bag, we used them for ammo and shot them all over the tip.
The reference to pound shillings and pence was usually written L S D or correctly £ s d and I think it was from the Latin (Roman) “librae, solidi, denarii”further to that I think that the £ sign struck by most keyboards is incorrect I was taught that it had two cross bars as ₤, the L and the B from librae is still used for one pound weight ”lb”.

Last edited:
Some of you lot have been overpaid, what with silver sixpences, 12 sided threepenny bits, and a first weeks wage of £1. 17,6p, we had to run round the table till we were fed up, life in Preston just after the war, I know, (old fart) would not have changed it.

You were lucky, we................

Yet another coin that existed at the time of the groat, which was the Mite, dont know what is was worth though:)

How old is the sign, my first week wages in 1971 was only £5 10 shillings. Half a weeks wages for not shutting gate:eek:, violin players welcome.

Railways were nationalised in 1948. That's when the LNER and the other 3 companies ceased to exist.
So the sign is pre 1948. Probably a lot older than that.

Back