How much to ask for off a nearly new Golf?

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at swapping later this year, early next to a nearly new VW Golf.

Something similar to this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ostcode=gl13jt

Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 1.5 TSI EVO 150 GT 5dr - which they have on at £18,298

I've done a free Parkers valuation of my current car which is a Honda Civic 2013(13) 1.8 i-VTEC ES 5 door and they have it as part exchange value of £5,655

This would be a cost to change of £12,643

Two questions.

1. What would be the target cost to change you think a dealer would go down to?

2. Is there a better month/day/time to walk in to the dealership between October 18 and January 19?

Try close to the end of the month, they always have targets to hit so you might get a better deal or close to when the change of plates takes place.

On a car like that the dealer may have £1000-1500 in it however out of that will be anything you might want doing to it, paint if there is a chip or something plus any over heads of the showroom and or any service that needs to be done.

Parkers Guide is only a guide and it is not necessary that you will get the amount it says for yours. The trade works of books where the values change all the time and as you are no wanting to change till next year your car will have dropped in value.

Try close to the end of the month, they always have targets to hit so you might get a better deal or close to when the change of plates takes place.

On a car like that the dealer may have £1000-1500 in it however out of that will be anything you might want doing to it, paint if there is a chip or something plus any over heads of the showroom and or any service that needs to be done.

Parkers Guide is only a guide and it is not necessary that you will get the amount it says for yours. The trade works of books where the values change all the time and as you are no wanting to change till next year your car will have dropped in value.

Thanks, I was going to work on at least £1,000 better than whatever deal they first offer me!

At the end of the day they need me to buy their car more than I need to buy - there are quite a few different dealers within a 50 mile radius which helps too....

You could always try to sell your Honda yourself and if it nets more than your guide trade in price you are already in a lot better negotiating position with the dealership.

February should be the bigger discount month before the new reg plate comes in.

You could always try to sell your Honda yourself and if it nets more than your guide trade in price you are already in a lot better negotiating position with the dealership.

February should be the bigger discount month before the new reg plate comes in.
Trouble with that (althought its true) is if its your only car you're then left desperately trying to get a replacement if you need the car daily. Not an ideal position for trying to negotiate better deals, which can take days. If youve got a second car or can borrow the mrs, then yes a good plan.

try selling your car on to one of the better car buying services like Arnold Clark

Parkers or similar is a loose guide. They will use the trade books like Cap or Glasses, as well as traders. If its a car they will not retail they will call a trader and get a price off them. What does webuyanycar list for yours?

Used car margins will vary. I would expect something up £3k to be built in as margin on a car at that sort of price , probably at least £2k, although it depends on how long the car has been there. They may have already discounted by £1k or more if it has been sat there a while, so they could even have £1.5k or less in it (unlikely). Remember though that they need to cover the cost of prepping the vehicle, any servicing/valets, warrenty, advertising, sales persons commission, and the fixed costs like rent, other wages etc... I would guess that £1500 would be the most you would get, probably if they wanted rid of the car, have targets to hit etc... with £1k more likely.

try selling your car on to one of the better car buying services like Arnold Clark

They're saying they'd give me £6,009 !

However I'm sure they only pay this if the car has lived in a garage all it's life and never been driven down the road, parked in Asda etc etc

Be interested to go through the whole process and get a proper quote - like has been said it's balancing any additional monetary gain with the pain in the arse that could come with having no car for a week or two !

What is wrong with doing it yourself and keeping that extra 25-35% in your pocket?! Writing an ad and taking some good photos for a photographer is very doable.

Trouble with that (althought its true) is if its your only car you're then left desperately trying to get a replacement if you need the car daily. Not an ideal position for trying to negotiate better deals, which can take days. If youve got a second car or can borrow the mrs, then yes a good plan.

buy a nice cheap older convertible now and enjoy it in good weather. Will save the hassle of being without a car too.

What is wrong with doing it yourself and keeping that extra 25-35% in your pocket?! Writing an ad and taking some good photos for a photographer is very doable.

Am not sure the difference is that much... but while writing an ad and taking a few pics is fairly straightforward its taking the calls and emails, arranging appointments, taking someone out in the car, timewasters or people not turning up and potentially having to leave work early or change plans to suit, a real factor if selfemployed. Then you have someone that turns up the first day it goes live and wants to take the car that night, great but OP then car-less and in more of a desperate situation to buy.

They're saying they'd give me £6,009 !

However I'm sure they only pay this if the car has lived in a garage all it's life and never been driven down the road, parked in Asda etc etc

Be interested to go through the whole process and get a proper quote - like has been said it's balancing any additional monetary gain with the pain in the arse that could come with having no car for a week or two !

Supposedly Arnold Clark are pretty good with this (unlike WeBuyAnyCar), I'm wanting to get rid of my '15 Merc E-Class Coupe and they offered me a decent amount, fair enough about £1500 less than if I sell privately (which I'm going to try) but they actually haggled the price up rather than down!

Am not sure the difference is that much... but while writing an ad and taking a few pics is fairly straightforward its taking the calls and emails, arranging appointments, taking someone out in the car, timewasters or people not turning up and potentially having to leave work early or change plans to suit, a real factor if selfemployed. Then you have someone that turns up the first day it goes live and wants to take the car that night, great but OP then car-less and in more of a desperate situation to buy.

Last three cars were gone in a matter of 25 minutes each when the first prospective buyer turned up. You don't have to pack it like the lens and take it to the post office. Just watch money appear in your bank account and its gone. Going to Tesco is usually more of a hassle actually and thats every other day :puke:

Anyway maybe I shouldn't sell the idea of saving the money so hard to keep the said companies afloat.

Last edited:
Supposedly Arnold Clark are pretty good with this (unlike WeBuyAnyCar), I'm wanting to get rid of my '15 Merc E-Class Coupe and they offered me a decent amount, fair enough about £1500 less than if I sell privately (which I'm going to try) but they actually haggled the price up rather than down!

That's about as satisfying as the man in a video in the other thread catching a nice huge fish and then just getting rid of it like piece of brick.

Back