how much to charge for baby photos

Name
iron
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just done some photo's in a studio on a baby for my family,
I did this for free as it was family,

she has put them all on her friends facebook pages and i have had six people sending me a message would i do there family portrait,

I class myself as new to portraits but these people have seen my work and want the same,

but how much do i charge,

i will have to hire a studio for £40 for two hours,
most of them have asked for 10+8 photo size,

so how much is the going rate for a 10+8 size photo of a family,

need help with this please,

i really did not think this would happen,

regards iron

Six families. How many in the family is the first question you need to ask. More people in the set means longer getting the photo (usually). If they only want a group photograph I'd allow about 15 to 20 minutes per family. If they want individual photographs too then you probably need to add at least another 5 minutes or so for each person. So let's say they are all families of three wanting photos of everyone. That's at least 35 minutes per family. 6 families with a five minute gap between. That's four hours studio hire. You'll hopefully sell at least one photo to each family. So you probably need to charge at least £15 for a 10 x 8 to break even. If you're good you'll sell individual photographs too. I would take a booking fee of £20 which will make sure that they'll turn up. After all you will still have to pay for the studio if they don't. If you want you could say that the booking fee is refundable against the cost of a print which will probably encourage them to buy two at least. :)

I hope that helps.

Andrea

If I were hiring a studio, bookings would only be packages. Eg sitting and 2 prints etc, and paid up front. Otherwise you could easily end up out of pocket if they don't buy any extras, or worse still, don't turn up at all.

I agree with Chip; whenever I take a booking that requires a studio hire my basic fee covers the cost of the hire - this is usually £40 for a 2 hour hire. Then, depending on who the client is, I will either provide a disc of 6 images (if it is a close friend) or then charge per print.

Spooks

thank you for all your help,

if i pay £40 to hire a studio,
it seems i might find it hard to make any money if the family's only by one ot two photos

Back