How much weight can a manfrotto take?

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
More specifically,

I have a Canon 50D + Grip and a Sigma 120-300 F/2.8 (A beast of a lens at 2.6kg)

I'm not sure how much weight the Canon + grip add up to, can't be more than 1.5 Kilograms so I guess that makes the total around 4.1kg...

I'm thinking about buying the MN 486rc2 ball head to go on my redsnapper legs, will this take the weight? I've read that the max weight is 6kg but I wondered if that was perhaps a little optimistic ? :shrug:

Thoughts and opinions please! (y)

Have a look at Manfrotto's web site - they give all the max loads for everything.

Yup, they claim 5.9kg - I was wondering more what peoples real world experience of this head was rather than the claimed figures.

For example, I have a tripod head manufacturer-rated at 5kg but its only really usable up to 4kg.

I've got a 486RC and tbh I don't think I'd be putting that combo on it. However, my 488 is much more substantial and probably more what you need.

IMO, I usually try to halve the manufacturer's recommended maximum weight. That might be overkill but, better safe than sorry...

:agree:

Yeah you might be right, its sad that they can't necessarily do what they say on the tin, even with decent kit like Manfrotto.

So, the 486 is rated to 5.9kg and my kit is going to weigh about 4.1kg, which leaves 30% to the max load - I guess I'm wondering if thats enough of a safety margin. The 486 is being offered to me at just over half price, making the jump to the 488 a significant amount of money...

I had the 20D plus 120-300mm + grip on a 488RC2 190PRO combo.

The lens is fairly well balanced on the tripod mount - I only ran into problems if I had the ballhead unlocked for movement and also the lens collar unlocked to rotate - became quite difficult to control at anything other than lens horizontal.

Thanks Richard, I'm pretty sure the 488 can take it, I'm just pondering the 486

Ask to try on on your tripod in your local store, this will give you a better idea of how safe it feels. Wayne

I've found its important you get the tripod firm and correctly balanced with the camera on it, and adjust accordingly if you change lenses. Most tripods are capable of some heavy weights - but my tip is, keep your neckstrap round your neck and always one hand on the camera....(y)

I regularly use my D3 and 400mm f2.8 on my Manfrotto 055, both hefty items in their own right.

n646097062_1801409_3652.jpg

I regularly use my D3 and 400mm f2.8 on my Manfrotto 055, both hefty items in their own right.

n646097062_1801409_3652.jpg

Good stuff, I have faith in the redsnapper legs though - which head are you using?

thanks Cope, its not really any help to me though mate, a £200 hydrostatic head is quite a way beyond me.

I'm looking at either the 486rc2 or the 488rc2

Cheers
-Rob

Rob,

fwiw I'd go for the 488. I think the 468 may be a false economy, as sod's law will dictate that you will want to go over the weight limit of the ball head. Also, a sturdier head should help to mitigate the effects of camera shake more effectively than a lighter-weight one, which given the type of lens you want to use with it might be a good idea.

I would also like to suggest that you look at buying an architectural plate. These have an extra sliding plate which prevents the camera/lens from twisting when it's mounted to the camera/lens.

If you find that the Redsnapper legs aren't up to the job (I don't know as I know nothing about this brand), then the 055 tripod is very sturdy and comes highly recommended. I use an 055 Magfibre for my large format work. It's the cat's conkers. I think that's what Cope's using in the picture he posted.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

If you find that the Redsnapper legs aren't up to the job (I don't know as I know nothing about this brand), then the 055 tripod is very sturdy and comes highly recommended. I use an 055 Magfibre for my large format work. It's the cat's conkers. I think that's what Cope's using in the picture he posted.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Spot on Mark, tis indeed the 055 Magifibre carbon firer jobbie I have.

Guy

Back