How NOT to deal with clients who ask for a refund

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I came across this on Reddit this morning. The story seems to be that a professional photographer had to cancel a group teaching session because of the weather and intended to reschedule it. None months later, it hadn't been rescheduled, and one of the participants asked about getting a refund instead.....

https://imgur.com/gallery/hGOw31f

[Note: I'm not sure whether it's OK posting this, given that real people are named and I can't redact them, and they aren't ere to defend themselves. I'm reporting the thread to the mods myself, so if you're reading this then it's deemed to be OK.]

Ass whipin comment, made me chuckle!

She's spent the money and can't afford to refund anyone

Next messages will be about her business being closed

Something similar happened to many Wedding couples near me when a chap who'd taken lots of album orders couldn't afford to actually deliver the albums, months of BS promises resulted until court action prompted him to 'quit' photography; though I suspect there's lots of CCJs heading his way now :(

Dave

I am more surprised that only one person had an issue after 9 months of no comms or reschedule.

What?? That cant be for real, right?

You'd think that given some of the responses but people can rationalise anything in the right circumstances.

It reminds me of when I paid some artists for work years ago that they never bothered to hand over (only a couple of hundred dollars each, not the end of the world) but the most surprising thing was how much other artists defended their actions despite them having effectively just stolen the money.

Last edited:
I liked the response about could have message me instead of open posted. Seems the photographer doesnt know about the premise of social media that can as easily condemn a business to obscurity as easily as propel it to new heights through open reviews.

Taken at face value, that is some award winning disregard for customers!

I particularly enjoyed "At my caliber which you probably don't understand I'm pretty busy".

Taken at face value, that is some award winning disregard for customers!

I particularly enjoyed "At my caliber which you probably don't understand I'm pretty busy".
Absolutely. Would need a 6mm fisheye to capture all of her head in a single shot it sounds THAT big!

Absolutely. Would need a 6mm fisheye to capture all of her head in a single shot it sounds THAT big!

I'm kind of a big deal. My apartment smells of rich mahogany etc.

Is this just world class self assurance or a total lack of self awareness? I suspect the latter.

She had the opportunity to make something positive out of the guys original post. Instantly offer him a refund, then 10% off if he books again. Customers expectations exceeded, good PR, makes her look successful and friendly. Job done, She may well be the best photographer in the world but her business sense is zero.

Her website is still up, if you're interested.
Could you supply a link please, just interested in seeing a photographer of her calibre.

Amazing how things can spiral out of control, what should have been a positive experience for both parties ended up as an unpleasant experience for one and an outright disaster for the other.

Her web site inspiredbyatruestory.com appears to have gone too.

The pictures seemed ok, and about what you'd expect for a social tog.

Back