How often do you use a ad on flash

To answer the question literally, a lot.

However, what sort of problems are you having, flash may not be the answer.

To be honest i am still very new and am still feeling lost. At times i take pics that look great untill i look at them at 100% on pc then see that they are blurred and are not crisp like some on here.

I am not sure if it is because i only have a 17.5-45mm lens and maybe at full zoom the pics are struggling, or it is because for some of the pics i need a better flash than the built in one.

Here is an example i was at a carnival the other day taking a few pics another tog was there using an add on flash now it was sunny and bright i thought to my self do i need a flash? but it is sunny and bright?

I have so many questions, i don't know where to start lol. i keep taking pics adjusting as i go but still feel at times i am doing it all wrong.

To be honest i am still very new and am still feeling lost. At times i take pics that look great untill i look at them at 100% on pc then see that they are blurred and are not crisp like some on here.

I am not sure if it is because i only have a 17.5-45mm lens and maybe at full zoom the pics are struggling, or it is because for some of the pics i need a better flash than the built in one.

Here is an example i was at a carnival the other day taking a few pics another tog was there using an add on flash now it was sunny and bright i thought to my self do i need a flash? but it is sunny and bright?

I have so many questions, i don't know where to start lol. i keep taking pics adjusting as i go but still feel at times i am doing it all wrong.

Here are my latest pics http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=75483

but same goes sunset ones look ok but at 100% they are not sharp and blurred.

a couple of the shots in there are at 1/6 and 1/8th. Do you use a tripod because those are extremely low speeds if they're handheld. To be fair though they look sharp enough at those sizes.

If you want to get to grips with lighting there's always strobist.com. Well worth the effort IMHO.

:agree: re the tog using a flash at the carnival in sunlight, that would be for fill light rather than lighting up the whole scene in the way you would traditionally think of a flash being used.

For example, this shot from your website

DSCN0260.JPG

would have benefited greatly from some fill flash to illuminate the wee boy's face.

Here are a couple of shots to illustrate what I mean

In the first one I have taken a straight shot, with the sun behind the subject as in your shot

2726040018_dfc73ccdf7.jpg

and here is the same shot, but with the addition of fill light from an off-camera SB-600 connected to the camera by a cord

2725215223_501d93064b.jpg

Using the onboard flash on your camera is a no-no, you really need a flashgun and ideally some way of triggering off camera, either a set of remote triggers like the Cactus ones from Ebay, or a cable, which would allow you to use the ttl metering on your camera.

Back