How Old Is Too Young?

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

As title really, my Daughter, who is coming up on 7 years old, often accompanies me on local photography jaunts, mainly within walking distance from home. She's yet to come on a "big un" to Glencoe or anything like that but she's a bit like me, she loves the outdoors and is always on at me to go a for a walk. We live in a beautiful area that has potential for both landscapes and huge wildlife opportunities. She has spent time in my hide too but soon got bored of that after 2 stints, but all credit, she tried.

I've noticed recently, she watches me taking photos and she also asks me questions. I don't want to baffle her and put her off though, so I keep it simple. I have an old 350d, that I have promised her, it's battered and bruised but works a treat and I'm thinking about letting her have a go. I'm not too worried if the camera gets dropped or whatever, I don't want that obviously but if it happens, it's no biggy.

So, what should be the timing on this and what would be your approach?

TIA. (y)

Agreed, auto mode, kit lens. off she goes!

I would say now, kids have an amazing zest for life and the things in it, we older folk have kind of been tarnished with media and life, she will probably open your eyes to a few things as well. Maybe a slide strap or similar so she can use it while it’s atill attached less risk if permanent damage ?

My little girl was 2 in the summer and already loves looking at pictures on my "hello" - she also knows that I have my "big camera" I'll certainly be buying her something camera-y in the not too distant future i'm sure, whether one of those kid specific ones or more likely a cheap compact as she is bound to want something more like daddy's!

I say go for it as early as they show some interest and are vaguely capable :)

My eldest has been using a DSLR since she was 7 and my youngest has had one since she was 6.

They are 9 and 12 now. My eldest still has a keen interest and can shoot in manual, use ocf and edit her own photos etc. although she has mostly switched to shooting video now, she has her own youtube channel.

My youngest isn't as interested but will bring along her camera for trips to the zoo etc.

Thanks for the replies. (y)

350D charged up yesterday, but, but, but, the lens I was going to use which has been stored for a few years no workey anymore, it won't autofocus and she ain't getting any of my L. :LOL:

So, on the lookout for a cheap kit lens now, then she can have a go.

Go for it buddy,kids brains are like a spongenot too early at all....................,just don't moan when she's better than her dad in a year:p:D

Seriously mate she's already showing all the signs of interest,I think it will be awesome for both of you and you can continue to share your love of nature with her,but yeah cheep and cheersful for the mo. Also being a lass and quite small I'd think on some form of half decent strap,she'l need to be comfy with that camera around her neck it's going to be alot bigger/heavier to her than to you and me. maybe even a sling ?? Sling actually strikes me as really good not only better support than neck strap ,but might also prevent accidents. Sure you'll step in if it gets heavy for her Dale but her comfort would be important to me,a good start can be crucial to some kids continuing to enjoy.;)

all the luck mate

stu

Go for it! Great bonding, great spending time together, great spending time outdoors.....

My boy is more interested than my daughter (they are older though) but they are happy so far with camera phones, edit & straight to Instagram..... I only have them every other weekend but always try to get out somewhere!

Cheap 18-55 kit lens? MPB have them for about £40, worth it if she only ever takes a handful of shots and enjoys it :)

Let the kid explore and be supportive. You will see how far she wants to go into and it and don't worry about keeping it too simple. Just don't take ages and make anything slow. Kids can't stand waiting long time and their attention span is shorter than grownups so that's just something too keep in mind - they might not enjoy waiting a day in a hide!

The 350D is a great camera for a child - lightweight yet capable of taking great photos and no way a "toy" camera.

Good luck to you both but I hope you also get lots of pics of her using it and put a few on here for us all to enjoy.

Thanks for the very supportive replies. (y)

I dug out a half decent lens yesterday that she could use, it's a Sigma 17-70 f2.8, so a very decent lens that really owes me nothing as I've used it many times, but not since I invested in L.

I'll let her handle the camera today and see how she goes.

By the time I was 10 my father had me shooting his pentax spotmatic (manual film) and I had my own cosmic 35 (still got it, and it still works)As long as she's old enough and safe enough to trust with a camera she should be fine. It's not the age so much as the respect they have for the camera.

Back