How the Nikon AF system really works

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would share this as there seems to be a lot of confusion as to how the different modes work and what they do... in no small part due to poor/incomplete explanations in the manuals.

Based upon extensive experience/testing I would say the Nikon AF system is actually quite simple and logical/progressive, even though it's not really well explained.
Irregardless of the iteration of the AF system the basics are the same.

You start with single point. Then you add additional points around it to aid in acquiring/maintaining focus (group mode if avail). Then you add even more additional points for tracking/maintaining focus w/ erratic subjects (dynamic modes). All modes function in a form of "nearest priority" when initially acquiring focus.

Group mode uses 5pts (51pt system) or 25pts (153pt system) for acquiring/maintaining focus.
Dynamic modes use 9pts for initially acquiring focus.

3D is the same as full dynamic mode (i.e. d51/d153), but adds in color information and scene recognition from matrix metering (required) and has no blocked shot settings.
Auto evaluates all focus points for best focus/best concentration of focus, and it also uses scene recognition w/ matrix metering (if enabled).
...scene recognition is magic that I cannot fully explain...

In all cases only one point is used for focus, although several points may report as having been w/in focus tolerance (i.e. auto).

The main difference between the D5/D500 and earlier models is that the dynamic modes used to function in a nearest priority after initial focus and would not refocus unless focus was lost. The D5/D500 dynamic modes do not function in a nearest priority while maintaining focus and will refocus even if focus is not lost. This is a VERY significant difference... and no-one is sure if it is intentional or not as it's not been officially addressed/acknowledged.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh
Thanks for the clarification. Interesting about the D5/D500 focus. Has anyone contacted Nikon to request an explanation / confirmation?

Intersting, thank you Steven.

Certainly helps me undertstand the sytem a bit more.

Back