How to achieve this effect....??

Edit My Images
No
Hello there- so I have been looking through some wedding photography photos online, and I wondered if anyone could tell me how to achieve an effect like the ones within the portfolio on this page.....
http://www.butterflyphotography.ie/galleries/irish-wedding-photographer/
The colours have been muted and matted, and there appears to be a "white wash" or something over the photograph. I love this affect, but cannot seem to work out how to achieve this!
Thank you in advance!
:)

They look like film effect, so may be VSCO or done in Photoshop/Light room using curves.

I have lightroom 6.0 so have been using the curve to mute the blacks and highlights, but its not quite the same. Hmmm tricksy

When I had a play with VSCO I noticed that it worked on certain photos especially ones taken out doors.

I have tried the curves in LR but agree it is not easy. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will pop on the thread and help.

Thanks

I'm no expert but you need to have the right kind of image in the first place, otherwise no amount of processing will get you the look.

Good use of natural light and prime lens used at wide apertures are a must. Film emulation presets such as VSCO, Mastin Labs to name but a few will give you a good starting point, never assume they are a 1 click solution, they sometimes are but generally should only serve as a starting point. By playing around with all the sliders and understanding what changes you are making will get you results in the end.

This is from their "info"

" Each image is individually edited and colour tweaked with our unique Lightroom formula"

There are lots of photos there with various amounts of processing. On the first row it looks like the first image uses the Brenizer Method, along with some masked reduction of the whites (the sky looks to have been pulled back quite a bit). The second looks to have had some split toning applied, and the base level of the blacks pushed up a bit. The third looks to be similar to the first.

At as guess I would say they are generally overexposing slightly (in post more than likely) then pulling back the highlights with masks. If you can pick one that you think exemplifies the type of thing you are going for, I can see if I can take a guess at how it's been achieved.

I suggest checking out Looks Like Film and the associated Facebook groups - http://lookslikefilm.com/

And realise that the preparation for getting this type of effect starts before the shutter is pressed, it's not just about the processing.

I think this type of image has a lot to do with the Tone Curve in Lightroom. Sample I took yesterday with a Tone Curve adjustment :)

DSC_5401 by Dan Smith, on Flickr

Just switch to Fuji and use the built in filters :p
But the Nik software has Analog Efex which has so many effects.

This is from their "info"

" Each image is individually edited and colour tweaked with our unique Lightroom formula"

Which could mean it involves 100 layers. After all thats where a photographer would command their prices if they knew how to get a unique look from any photo they took with attention to detail

Hello there- so I have been looking through some wedding photography photos online, and I wondered if anyone could tell me how to achieve an effect like the ones within the portfolio on this page.....
http://www.butterflyphotography.ie/galleries/irish-wedding-photographer/
The colours have been muted and matted, and there appears to be a "white wash" or something over the photograph. I love this affect, but cannot seem to work out how to achieve this!
Thank you in advance!
:)

They use a unique lightroom formula...;) also nik software is now free if you don't have it grab it here.. https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

There doesn't look to be a lot done to the images, just well shot and lit well.. I agree some subtle tweaking of the colours & fade in lightroom with VSCO or similar..

Ok. I hate "VSCO" answers. Sure, it might be, but VSCO have 999 presets, and it really doesn't help anyone understand what is actually going on.

Fortunately, there are some solutions to this :)

Load the image into an editor, be it GIMP, Photoshop or whatever else you care to use. Lightroom is not really useful for this, it's not an editor in the pixel sense, which is what you're going to want here.

People, Trees, Skies, Plants, Rocks, Suits, Wedding Dresses etc are all relatively predictably coloured. If you have a shot of a couple standing on some grass with some sky in the shot, odds are they weren't too dissimilar in attire and colour to the sample images show. Furthermore the grass, again, will be similar. Not identical, but similar. (Different times of year, strains of grass, etc will have slightly different hues, and the lighting will affect it too, but in essence, it's Grass Green, and that's our foundation.)

Grab your image, neutralise the whitebalance so it looks good, whack it open in your image editor. Grab one of those similar sample images, open that too. Pick some solid reference colours, I'd go for skin, dress, grass, sky. Select an area of each one and use the "Average" filter to turn it into a solid patch. You could also sample the colour with the sample tool set to a 32x32 sample area or such. This is to avoid the influence of noise in your colour selection.

This procedure needs to be done 3 times really, once in highlight regions, once in shadow regions and once in midtone reasons, in case the other photographer has applied nonlinear corrections.

Once you've got that, use the colour picker / info pallette (Not sure what that's called in GIMP, sorry) and make a note of the RGB, LAB and HSB values for each colour region, both in your shot and the sample. You'll now start to be able to make educated inferences about what, exactly, is going on with the image. Does their grass have a lot more Blue in it than yours? Does it have more blue in the shadows, but oddly, the highlights are a lot less blue? If that's the case, you might be looking at a Yellow/Blue crosstone effect, for example. (Looking at your colours in HSB/LAB removes this light/dark confusion, and I find they're much easier to read than RGB).

Once you've isolated what's happening, you can start to make moves on your own image to push it in the direction of the image you like. The overwhelming majority of the time "What have they done to achieve this look?" is colour based, and can be analysed and reproduced without any real wizardry. Obviously some retouching techniques will exploit filters and tools that if done well, will be seamless, but if it's just a colour look you're after, you can get there most of the time with analysis.

Of course, you can just install VSCO/LXC/Nik/Mastin Labs and mash buttons until you get a look you like :D

There are lots of photos there with various amounts of processing. On the first row it looks like the first image uses the Brenizer Method, along with some masked reduction of the whites (the sky looks to have been pulled back quite a bit). The second looks to have had some split toning applied, and the base level of the blacks pushed up a bit. The third looks to be similar to the first.

At as guess I would say they are generally overexposing slightly (in post more than likely) then pulling back the highlights with masks. If you can pick one that you think exemplifies the type of thing you are going for, I can see if I can take a guess at how it's been achieved.
This^

There's no 'look' to those pictures, there are lots of different photos there, loads of different things happening.

I feel for photographers nowadays, they have too much information and too many tools.

The OP is doing the right thing by trying to work out what 'makes' an image. But has made 2 lazy mistakes.

1. Assuming that it's only processing that's creating a look.
2. Asking the Internet for an answer rather than working it out for themselves.

Your photography learning is all about building an understanding of light, composition and perspective.

2. Asking the Internet for an answer rather than working it out for themselves.
I understand your sentiment. But it's not a mistake to "ask" the internet. It might be a mistake to "expect" the internet to do all the work. But the internet is a good source of material we can learn from. So I'd say 'ask away!'

I understand your sentiment. But it's not a mistake to "ask" the internet. It might be a mistake to "expect" the internet to do all the work. But the internet is a good source of material we can learn from. So I'd say 'ask away!'
Mistake was maybe too strong a word. :)

I encourage asking questions, but get frustrated by people who seemingly expect simple answers. :(

Back