How to avoid oversharpening

Good little article Thanks. Jim

excellent - good stuff!

Bookmarked that :D Very useful, many thanks for sharing (y)

I think he refers to sharpening halos as to oversharpening, which is NOT the same thing :p

I think he has the separate layers for sharpening idea from somewhere else, not sure where from, though.

Not to only bash the guy, it works well, of course. I use pretty much two sharpening techniques, one is selective sharpening on a layer with undesired areas masked out (or the desired sharp areas masked in), the other one is an enhanced smart sharpening technique, which is described in the link in my sig. If it's too fast, I'll make a slower one. It's fast to keep the video short.

If you type in 'photoshop sharpening' on Utube there are numerous video's on the subject.
And the separate layer dark & light sharpening method is one of them

Thanks for the link, worthwhile read.

One thing he does mention is to sharpen ONLY after resizing - quite a few PP-ers now recommend a 3 stage sharpening process.

I always add a little "capture sharpening" in ACR & then final sharpen after resizing using Photokit Sharpener Plug-in (which I highly recommend)

simon

If you intend to post process your photos is worth turning off the in-camera sharpenening? I'm always concerned than this (and other functions) could be done better later in Photoshop.

If you shoot .JPG then you can't fully turn-off sharpening although you can perhaps reduce it. One of the advantages of using RAW is that no sharpening or very little processing has been done to the image before it makes it your computer - the downside of this is that pretty much all RAW images require some form of PP

simon

Back