How to carry a pro DSLR with a 70/200mm lens attached

I shoot landscapes and quite often need to use a tripod, which strap would you guys recommend for that situation?

Get a manfrotto tripod bag

....So you don't climb over (or under!) many fences then. Also, you never wear a jacket over your belt?

My trousers would fall down if I hooked my telephoto lens onto my belt! As Mick Jagger once said on stage: "Now you don't want my trousers to fall down do ya?" :D

I climb over loads of stiles, Robin - it never moves, and I use the waist belt of my camera bag so trousers aren't affected. As it is my bag belt it goes over my coat. I carry my 100-400 like this as well, and the camera even stays in place when bending double to pick up after my dog.

I have been carrying medium sized lenses like this for years and have yet to find a disadvantage.

I climb over loads of stiles, Robin - it never moves, and I use the waist belt of my camera bag so trousers aren't affected. As it is my bag belt it goes over my coat. I carry my 100-400 like this as well, and the camera even stays in place when bending double to pick up after my dog.

I have been carrying medium sized lenses like this for years and have yet to find a disadvantage.

....Fair enough. We each develop what method feels more comfortable and practical to ourselves as individuals. I never carry a camera bag except to sometimes put in the car boot. I tried a Lowepro belt system around my waist and even with the attached shoulder strap it didn't feel comfortable and especially when dropping to my knees for a wildlife shot.

....Fair enough. We each develop what method feels more comfortable and practical to ourselves as individuals. I never carry a camera bag except to sometimes put in the car boot. I tried a Lowepro belt system around my waist and even with the attached shoulder strap it didn't feel comfortable and especially when dropping to my knees for a wildlife shot.

Yep, each to their own - just giving an alternative and possibly cost free option to the OP :)

I use a black rapid 7 and have the strap on the foot of the lens for perfect balance.

As for tripods I always carry a Joby dslr tripod as its small and strong enough to hold my setup on the tripod foot.

It may be too low for landscapes but perfect for balancing on a fence post etc.

Yep, each to their own - just giving an alternative and possibly cost free option to the OP :)

....Yes, I not only enjoy spending my own money but other people's money as well :D

Ok so an update on my previous post. I have used a Black Rapid for the last 18 months and whilst it is a large improvement over the stock straps, however having recently spent a day with a 120-300 f2.8 hanging off it and found the following drawbacks.
  1. When holding the camera up the strap tends to slide off the shoulder, even worse if you are wearing slippery clothing like a raincoat
  2. Tends to swing when leaning over or bending
Having just taken delivery of a Spider Holster Pro, early impressions are good, solidly built, comfortable belt. I have tried it with the 120-300 on and it felt very comfortable and didn't slip. ( I contacted Spider to confirm the weight and they said it would be fine)

The other benefit is if I am using the 70-200 it balances well with my Lens Exchange case on the other side with 24-70 inside.

As to Tripods, there are 2 options
  1. First is to attach your existing plate directly to the spider plate
  2. The other is for Arcs Swiss users and that is the Spider Arca Swiss Clamp

Ok so an update on my previous post. I have used a Black Rapid for the last 18 months and whilst it is a large improvement over the stock straps, however having recently spent a day with a 120-300 f2.8 hanging off it and found the following drawbacks.
  1. When holding the camera up the strap tends to slide off the shoulder, even worse if you are wearing slippery clothing like a raincoat

....That's exactly the same problem I experience with my BlackRapid+Brad. However, I wear another strap across it and underneath the BlackRapid pouch and this stops this happening. I wear the other strap to hang my Gitzo carbon monopod. But I appreciate that not everyone wears this combination!

Last edited:
I've just bought a Cotton Carriers harness. Only wanted it for a single camera but it came with the second camera belt attachment and two hand straps which I doubt I will ever use. Works really well with my 7DMkII and 100-400.

Best bit it was £43. Brand new only taken out of the box for a trial.

I use a Matin Neoprene Joint Strap now, takes the weight off, nice and comfy and a bargain price too.

Just a quick question;
How do you guys carry your pro DSLR with a 70/200mm lens attached while walking the streets of anywhere. i.e. on holiday

Like a boss :D

I use a Think Tank 50 Top loader as you can drop a camera body fitted with 70-200mm and hood fitted (not reversed on lens) and still have quick easy access to your camera it also gives weather protection at the same time.:)
I have a black rapid but rarely use it these days preferring the op/tech strap when worn around neck with a smaller lens fitted. I always carry a monopod these days as it doubles up as a walking stick not that I can walk far these days:(
Camera straps are very much like bags for your gear it,s a personal thing I guess but at least we are blessed with loads of options:)

Last edited:
I tend to just throw (carefully) the standard camera strap over my shoulder like you would with a bag..

I have the original Black Rapid strap that doesn't have the under arm strap..................is it worth upgrading to the sport strap and if so why?
I am planning a wee 7 day trip to Osaka in Japan for some street photography and anything else that comes along and want to take my Nikon gear this time rather than my Leica gear that I took 2 years ago :)
Again any feedback would be much appreciated

No need to upgrade the strap, just buy a BRAD. I got one for my original black rapid and it does stop the strap from sliding around on my shoulder.
Expensive at £10, but well worth it.

Q strap if I'm using the camera often or a plain messanger style bag.

Back