How to get on the roof

Edit My Images
Yes
who should i contact to get permission to shoot on the roof of building, really high building,any experience anyone? Thank you;)

I am assuming you are talking about a commercial or public building. You will want to talk to the building superintendent or manager, since the owners of such buildings are usually unreachable by the common folk. Getting access to a rooftop usually means passing through one or more locked doors. Getting off the rooftop may also involve a locked door!

Good luck with this one! I used to work right by the Mayors office at London Bridge, I once went up on the roof as I was on good terms with all the building management, took some pics but seriously I wasted it. I wish I'd have put a table and chairs up there and made a little meal for the girlfriend, would be romantic and an amazing view!

I really should have gone up there with a tripod at night too.
I do recall access was not easy, had to climb a long ladder and go through a hatch IIRC.

Did anyone see that program about pirate radio a while back? Was quite interesting as they showed footage of what they had to go through to get onto a lot of the roofs in these high buildings. Yes, there were ladders/hatches/locked doors and the likes.

I used to get on to a lot of roofs in South Africa for work (not photography) and I agree with the above. You might have to sign a liability waiver too. I remember one very windy day on top of the Carlton Centre in Johannesburg, 50 storeys up, and not much of a barrier round the edge.....................

CLimbing Britains Buildings also gave some idea of access, albeit they would climb anyway.

You may well need to be a pro - they would probably not be insured for every tom dick or harry, but a pro is different.

It will depend on the building, but start by going into reception and asking them, they will then point you in the righ tdirection.

having been on a H&S seminar recently, I think you'll find that most buildings will have serious risk assessments and rules about who can have access and under what conditions, simply because of the danger aspect. Not all roofs are safe to access. You can ask for permission, but whether it will be granted is another matter.

Back