How to improve bird shots in garden

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
We had the garden done almost a year ago today in order to attract birds.
Most days we have between 8 and 12 species but that can go up to 16 at best so far.

Im virtually always dissapointed with my shots of our little freinds and wonder how to produce the kind of results others produce on here.

My thoughts (after reading several other threrads) are i'm just not close enough - and techinique and practice will help too I know, but all tips greatfully accepted.

Below i've tried to show what would be for me, a typical shot that is at the moment toward the top end of my garden shots.
TIA.

woody800.jpg

Gardenbirds800.jpg

800flyingkiss.jpg

I would say to add some natural perches. Go to the woods and pick up some branches and logs for them to sit on. You can tie wrao these to the feeders or have them in a plant pot next to the feeders.I see you have a woodpecker--these look great on a natural log--drill out holes on the side and fill with peanuts etc and you will get natural looking shots.

Agree with all of the above.
I regularly shoot Gt Spotted at a distance of roughly 7ft other species can be as close as 3ft or closer.
As you are in full control of feeders etc in your garden I would gradually move them closer to your camera position assuming you are using a hide of some sort.
Also if you put in natural perches,watch how the birds come into the feeders. Quite often they perch on a twig first. Thats the place to shoot them if you can.
If you are still stuck I can take some shots of my set up. It is in sore need of a revamp however!

...Im virtually always dissapointed with my shots of our little freinds and wonder how to produce the kind of results others produce on here...

I know how you feel.
I will also be watching this thread for tips.

I have to say though - I do like your No3 shot. (y)

Back