How to meter at zoom Distances without on board meter ?

To be fair Craig yes it did.

Good point well made.

But a T90 will have all the metering functions the OP could want or need. If you could find one that still works.
T90? Pah, old hat! You may as well go for an EOS-3 if you want something the same weight and shape as a DSLR. I think it will give you up to 8 multi spot meterings in any one shot... I sound slightly vague as I've never found the need to use that feature (and without reading the manual I probably wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance of working out how to do it either!)

To be honest, unless you're using a particularly fussy slide film then I think most of the time some of the useful tips and methods mentioned on this thread will be pretty much all you'll need to get you an acceptable shot. :)

Last edited:
So, to summarise.

You need to incident meter an area in shady sunlight with a spot meter against a gray hand at 18% whilst standing next to and far from your camera in a mountainous flat land in the rain.
Also, a digital camera and a light meter are no help other than to confuse the innocent and promote laziness.

Oui?

:D:agree:

So, to summarise.

You need to incident meter an area in shady sunlight with a spot meter against a gray hand at 18% whilst standing next to and far from your camera in a mountainous flat land in the rain.
Also, a digital camera and a light meter are no help other than to confuse the innocent and promote laziness.

Oui?

:D:agree:
But, most of all, never underestimate the usefulness of a good manservant.

:wacky:

None of the clever metering systems are foolproof and work every time

Hence why one can go around in circles, waste a huge amount of time and become increasingly frustrated trying to figure out what meter, or which reading ( incident, reflective or none of the above ( probably the best to go with tbh!) is actually going to give the result that you want in the final image.

"Box Brownie" "Sunny 16 ( or 11 in winter) is imo the base from which to learn how to meter without using a handheld or TTL metering system.

Hence why one can go around in circles, waste a huge amount of time and become increasingly frustrated trying to figure out what meter, or which reading ( incident, reflective or none of the above ( probably the best to go with tbh!) is actually going to give the result that you want in the final image.

"Box Brownie" "Sunny 16 ( or 11 in winter) is imo the base from which to learn how to meter without using a handheld or TTL metering system.

im glad you took your time and thought about your answer asha :)

Back